IGNORED

Buying 800XL with defect

Martinus

I can buy a good looking Atari 800XL at a very affordable price.

Caveat is that apparently none of the function keys (rightmost column) works. I cannot check under the cover before buying. Anyone that can tell from experience whether this is a big problem or is it a common simple to solve problem?

i had an 800XL that all worked except for the function keys and I fixed it by bridging some tiny gaps (opens) in the mylar traces using copper trace repair paint (from a rear auto-window defroster repair kit). I've used this method on several Atari keyboards and it has done the trick every time. It is supposed to be considered a "temporary" fix ( as opposed to permanently replacing with a new mylar) but I've never had one act up again after applying this copper trace repair trick.

I even have a "back-up" new mylar from Best ready to go if/when this copper paint trick doesn't work, but I've never had to use it yet.

-Eric

• Like 1

Apparently it was built in Taiwan. So when I understand correctly that would mean that most chips are soldered not socketed. So a pita to replace.

Not necessarily. I have three 800XL's, two of which were made in Taiwan. One of those is fully-socketed, the other is socketed for everything except BASIC, the OS ROM and the small 74LS-series logic chips. The main Atari IC's and all the DRAMs are soldered. Your mileage may vary of course.

Personally, if it was a good price I'd take the risk and fix it, but I'm comfortable doing that kind of work these days (which I wouldn't have been several years ago).

• Like 1