IGNORED

Advice on purchasing an Atari ST(E)

Here's a machine I've been curious about but have never seen often enough in the wild: the Atari ST.

Unlike the Amiga, which I seriously desired as a kid (and I have two models now: a 500 and a 4000!), the Atari ST tickled my curiosity but wasn't one of those "Oooh, I've gotta have it right now!" type of desires.

Nowadays, though, I thought it would be pretty neat to check out the actual Atari ST hardware and see what it's all about!

I do have some experience using Atari TOS thanks to Hatari, and I have sampled some games and demos on the platform. It's enough to wet my beak and get me interested in wanting to maybe add one

to my collection! :)

My problem, however, is that, like other retro computers of the time, the prices for Atari STs (and even the STE) have shot through the roof to ridiculous, exonerate prices on eBay and even Amibay. To make matters worse, most auctions and sales that I see are all in Europe (and I'm in the USA), which would mean that shipping would be absolute murder, and I'd also have to then spend money on things like step-down transformers and plug adapters.

So my question is this: what's a fair going price for an Atari ST? I'd prefer an STE model; it can have 1MB RAM minimum and that's fine. Hell, it doesn't even need to come with cables; since the PSU is internal on STE models and is a standard 3-prong PC lead, I can supply one. I just need a mouse and I'm good.

Send some ideas my way and I'll work from there! :)

Here's a machine I've been curious about but have never seen often enough in the wild: the Atari ST.

Unlike the Amiga, which I seriously desired as a kid (and I have two models now: a 500 and a 4000!), the Atari ST tickled my curiosity but wasn't one of those "Oooh, I've gotta have it right now!" type of desires.

Nowadays, though, I thought it would be pretty neat to check out the actual Atari ST hardware and see what it's all about!

I do have some experience using Atari TOS thanks to Hatari, and I have sampled some games and demos on the platform. It's enough to wet my beak and get me interested in wanting to maybe add one

to my collection! :)

My problem, however, is that, like other retro computers of the time, the prices for Atari STs (and even the STE) have shot through the roof to ridiculous, exonerate prices on eBay and even Amibay. To make matters worse, most auctions and sales that I see are all in Europe (and I'm in the USA), which would mean that shipping would be absolute murder, and I'd also have to then spend money on things like step-down transformers and plug adapters.

So my question is this: what's a fair going price for an Atari ST? I'd prefer an STE model; it can have 1MB RAM minimum and that's fine. Hell, it doesn't even need to come with cables; since the PSU is internal on STE models and is a standard 3-prong PC lead, I can supply one. I just need a mouse and I'm good.

Send some ideas my way and I'll work from there! :)

I'll take a look to see what I have for sale when I get home. I think I have a 1040STE with box. And the US to Canadian dollar conversion will probably save you some money!

I have several PAL 1040STE's that work on 110V.

They need a good cleaning, but I'd be willing to sell one for $175+shipping if you're interested.

Color monitor SC1224 $50+shipping.

I'm in the US.

PM me pics. I have to wait for a bit on purchases because I'm traveling soon, but perhaps afterwards I might consider one!