IGNORED

Excel #5 is ready (at last!)

Bob The Bug

Mine arrived too, as always a huge thank you Bob...

I'll have a read soon, sadly I just found out this morning that my daughter who I thought was staying at a friends was in hospital for self harm, she's ok in as much that there's no threat to life but obviously somethings been too much for her so I'll bow out from here for as long as it takes to see her right. Just waiting to see what the hospital want to do now.

Paul..

If I paid for paper version and I want download PDF I must pay again? Which means "on hold"?

So what? I get the magazine as payment for my writing in it, but I still buy the PDF every time with my own money. I could probably ask and get a free down load of the PDF, but Bob deserves it for all the work he puts in.

Edited by Gunstar

Just had a chance to read, and yet again its a work of art, the paper feels luxurious and the content is rock solid...

If you have not tried one yet then you are missing out on what I believe will be loved by others in the future....

Great work yet again Bob....And to all involved...Jon, David etc..

Now Stephen, what did you want to know about all the articles?

I'll list them out now :)

Juss kidding :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Group hug from your Atari community...

She doing better?

Bob

Mine arrived too, as always a huge thank you Bob...

I'll have a read soon, sadly I just found out this morning that my daughter who I thought was staying at a friends was in hospital for self harm, she's ok in as much that there's no threat to life but obviously somethings been too much for her so I'll bow out from here for as long as it takes to see her right. Just waiting to see what the hospital want to do now.

Paul..

I was looking out for someone reviewing Pete's games :thumbsup:

Secretum Labytrinth - the reviewer (Gunstar?) mentioned the flickering of the PMGs, but what about the backgrounds? From being part of a feedback group I had serious concerns about them on PAL systems; I think he's using this blended mode in all his games? Perhaps he addressed this as you said "the floor patterns can be turned off", was this a menu option in both games?

Also on Secretum Labytrinth games did you find the other weapons were useful / made any real difference?

• Like 2

Secretum Labytrinth - the reviewer (Gunstar?) mentioned the flickering of the PMGs, but what about the backgrounds? From being part of a feedback group I had serious concerns about them on PAL systems; I think he's using this blended mode in all his games? Perhaps he addressed this as you said "the floor patterns can be turned off", was this a menu option in both games?

Also on Secretum Labytrinth games did you find the other weapons were useful / made any real difference?

All the games I reviewed are played on the system I have described in my signature below. It is PAL. But on my set-up there is no flickering of the floors, only the sprites. Maybe because I use a S-video to VGA converter/upscaler which outputs progressive scan, doubles 240p to 480p, etc.

As to turning off the floor graphics, I'll have to get back to you on that, it was last August when I sent in the reviews, so it's been too long to remember. But I never tried turning them off as I didn't have an issue.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

First I wrote a long novel as a reply here, but since I am thinking about writing a review for Proc, I did send you a pm instead...

To all others, yes I have played or play-tested Kings Gold (or SLKG, how I name it) approx. two-dozens of times. Found a few minor bugs in February and reported them to Peter and he immediately released two updated versions here on AA. Played the game much further now and also drew a map, but did not solve the game yet. While playing via Atari 800 WIN, Altirra and real Atari 800XL PAL or config. set to PAL, I found one more minor bug and one serious bug, which I still have to report to Peter...

Playing on PAL, I find the flicker of the background to be minimal; the monsters do flicker when there are lots of them on the screen, especially the flying monsters - but since you have to kill them (in some rooms you must kill them all to reveal secret passages or rooms), this is not a big thing, since you wipe them off the screen anyway...

Regarding the weapons, it seems that the saber is the second most effective (and thus second best) weapon, only the wand seems to be better / more effective to me, while the other weapons like bow/arrows, flail and hammer are not very effective or almost useless. Afaik, in the start screen one can press Select or Option to turn Music and Backgound (background music/sfx ? background patterns?) on/off, but when I turned off both, the Music still played when I started the game, so I had to turn off my tv speaker (not a big thing, since it has a mute key)...

The game is very appealing to me, I do like the many colours of the rooms and the many monsters (allthough I sometimes wish there were fewer of the monsters on the screen, ahem) and it is a lot of fun walking around, searching for keys, weapons, treasures, secret rooms, secret passages, etc. and fighting the many monsters. Luckily the game does not have the usual 10-12 player stats of an RPG, only EP (experience points) and HP (hit points/energy), since I never care about all the other things, like charisma, wisdom, dexterity, courage, etc. So for me it is more of an action adventure or an RPG with a main emphasis of action. Enough said, I almost wrote another novel...

• Like 1