IGNORED

Oystron Manual full of mistakes?

StanJr

I got Oystron for Christmas (finally) and noticed that several things in the manual are wrong. It says that Left Diff B causes the ship to bounce, but it is A that does this. It has the oysters and creatures swapped in the image legend and on the screen shot. It makes no mention of how to accrue bombs for fighting the Oystron during game play.

It seems like this manual missed the proofreading stage. Anyone else notice this? Is this a known thing?

I haven't looked at that manual in a very long time, although the game does continue to sell at a leisurely pace. I'm usually pretty picky these days about proofreading manuals (ask anyone who's worked with me on a project), but that was one of the very first manuals we did. And it's possible I didn't look at it as closely as I should have. I can certainly fix any problems you discover with the manual. Your timing is amusing, as I've been working on some other older manuals to fix some issues with them.

I think this goes to show how many people actually (don't) read the manuals, though!! That game hit the store some fifteen years ago..

..Al

• Like 2

I think this goes to show how many people actually (don't) read the manuals, though!!

That's a sad thought. A lot of time can go into making those things.

Maybe we need to look into alternative ways to communicate the instructions. Like R2-D2 style holograms projected from the box. Or instruction chips that are implanted in the brain. Telepathy?

Better yet, release the instruction manuals online for free before the game is sold. Then prior to anyone actually purchasing the game, quiz them on the contents of the manual. Be sure to include some really obscure questions too. If they can't pass the quiz, they can't purchase the game. :-D

• Like 1

Here are the mistakes in the Oystron Manual:

Page 2 Difficulty Switches

reads: "When the left switch is in B position (advanced), the space ship will bounce..." "Switch to A position (novice) for..."

should read: "When the left switch is in the A position (advanced), the space ship will bounce..." "Switch to B position (novice) for..."

Page 4 (see image), the images for Space Creature and Space Oyster have been mislabeled. The image for "Space Oysters" is labeled "Space Creatures" and the image for "Space Creatures" has been incorrectly labeled "Space Oysters."

Omissions: The manual does not describe how to acquire bombs with are essential to game play. Nor does it mention that once a full row of oysters has been collected it will flash and disappear. Normally this would be no bid deal, but both of these features are part of the basic game play and should likely be described in the manual.

post-409-0-22589600-1519740978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1