IGNORED

Adam ROM cartridge versus cassette tapes

Swami

I was investigating the games exclusive to the Adam computer. I know many of them were sold as tape cassettes. Wikipedia has them listed as ROM cartridges or floppies. Are all the ROM cartridges the tape cassettes or are some of them actual cartridges similar to the what the ColecoVision uses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coleco_Adam_games

All Adam software was sold on either Digital Data Packs (i.e. custom cassettes) or on floppies. There were a few games which were initially released on cartridges for the ColecoVision, and then Coleco later re-released them on DDP or floppies with a few extra features (like B.C. Grog's Revenge, IIRC). I'm not talking about the Super Games when I say this, more like actual re-releases.

It's only many years later, with the advent of homebrew cartridges that broke the 32K barrier, that some Adam games (mainly the Super Games originally released on DDP) were converted to cartridges.

That Wikipedia page feels a little off and misleading to me. Or maybe I'm just misinformed...?

The Wiki page is downright atrocious and will confuse the hell out of anyone that reads it. Here is a link to a pinned thread on here that has extensive lists for both the ColecoVision and the ADAM Computer. I haven't updated them in a couple years, but this will give you a clear idea of what was made for each system and then all the cartridges made for the ColecoVision will work with the ADAM Computer sans Super Cobra and Defender (which were patched and rom files are available).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221017-colecovision-adam-computer-collectors-lists-updated/

All Adam software was sold on either Digital Data Packs (i.e. custom cassettes) or on floppies. There were a few games which were initially released on cartridges for the ColecoVision, and then Coleco later re-released them on DDP or floppies with a few extra features (like B.C. Grog's Revenge, IIRC). I'm not talking about the Super Games when I say this, more like actual re-releases.

It's only many years later, with the advent of homebrew cartridges that broke the 32K barrier, that some Adam games (mainly the Super Games originally released on DDP) were converted to cartridges.

That Wikipedia page feels a little off and misleading to me. Or maybe I'm just misinformed...?

No, it is more than a little off in terms of information presentation. It's downright sloppy.

The Wiki page is downright atrocious and will confuse the hell out of anyone that reads it. Here is a link to a pinned thread on here that has extensive lists for both the ColecoVision and the ADAM Computer. I haven't updated them in a couple years, but this will give you a clear idea of what was made for each system and then all the cartridges made for the ColecoVision will work with the ADAM Computer sans Super Cobra and Defender (which were patched and rom files are available).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221017-colecovision-adam-computer-collectors-lists-updated/

Thanks everyone, I was suspicious the Wikipedia entry was messed up because it only had Buck Rogers in the shared category and I was certain there was a DDP supergame.