2 Port Cartridge Expander

4 replies to this topic

#1 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 PM

Last year I was able to accomplish moving my 99/4A, Speech and PEB assembly to an older PC AT case

Message thread HERE

With help from Tursi answering my questions I was able to work out a design (all hard wired) for a 2 port cartridge expander that plugs directly into the 4a cartridge port on the main board.  With a flip of a 3PDT switch I can switch between the 2 ports.  Installed a reset switch with it.  

Well, I finally took some time to design an actual PCB for it.  I had to design the 36 pin Eagle library for it too.  I still need to design a small PCB (cartridge end that will be soldered to the middle of the board by a 90 degree pin header.

I still need to verify the board again and again.  Once I verify all traces a few more times then I may send it off to Oshpark to get made.

Wanted to share it.

I have updated the photos to a smaller footprint as to reduce cost as well as space required within my all in one unit.

This will require a cartridge extension board.  A simple 36 pin (18x2) board.  This board will plug into the F3 connector that plugs directly into the 99/4a mainboard.

Added photos for my hand wired development board that I am currently using in my All-In-One PEB.   I used 30 AWG solid core wire wrap wire to make the connections.

Attached Files

Edited by Shift838, Sat Mar 3, 2018 9:36 PM.

#2 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,514 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 AM

This is precisely what I want to do for the 4 port version but I need to learn the software. Are you going to make the file available? Would be a great starting point.

#3 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:59 AM

This is precisely what I want to do for the 4 port version but I need to learn the software. Are you going to make the file available? Would be a great starting point.

Yes, once I verify all traces again and again, i plan on releasing the drawing, schemattic and even the eagle library files I created.

I need to figure out how to make the doublesided cartridge board in eagle now with the finger type contacts..

#4 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:39 PM

I have updated the photos and schematic.  One, was that to reduce the cost to tool the board I reduced the footprint.  I was also going off memory last night and did not look at my connectors.  My middle connector (F3) I thought was the standard spacing and well, it was not.  So I fixed that.

also added the cartridge extension PCB to use between the mainboard and the 2 port expander on F3.

Edited by Shift838, Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:43 PM.

#5 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 9:37 PM

added my original pictures of my current 2 port I made (hand wired).  in first post now.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users