IGNORED

STUNT CAR RACER?

Irgendwer

I just want to say thanks to the developers for reverse engineering and then creating the Atari 8bit version of this game. I really enjoy the back and forth of how it could be optimized, etc, but let's remember one thing. Only one team successfully took on the project created this game, and it's one of the best Atari 8bit conversion ever. The peanut gallery (no matter how skilled or correct with their analysis) didn't take the time to create the project. These two did and it's a triumph. So give them Kudos and enjoy the game. It plays awesome on the Rapidus, by the way! But it still rocks my 130XE. That's the important part to me.

Exactly. It's very easy to be an armchair expert when you only contribute an arse implant in the cushion.

• Like 9

"Every cycle" ? Seriously ? It's a factor of 12:1 (1.79 MHz vs Rapidus).

The Atari is just 30% faster there than the C64 , and you realize that quickly when playing the game.

The indicator that "every cycle counts" is shown by the real speedup, using the accelerator. Not sure if 12:1 , as there is a limiter in the game.

And this is no judgement on the conversion itself, which is on the graphical side really great on the real thing. There is no limiter in the Engine, causing any braking of the calculations. They run faster, if possible.

That's all about it.

And, really, if I wanted to play a fluent game on different hardware, there is the PC version...

uploaded SCR to my SD card and played it on my 130XE and 1084s... lovely game. Just wanted to check it how it looks on real metal and instantly get hooked... needed to pull me off the machine not playing it for hours. ;)

I even like the menu etc. looks great on CRT.

btw. why did loader kicked highspeed SIO? In my SIO2SD I simply pressed start (not sure where there the highspeed SIO routines are located). haven't tried the other places.

• Like 2

Hello guys,

I've managed to preare a hacked version of Stunt Car Racer that is able to load from any device under DOS. It was tested with DOS II+/D and MyDOS under Altirra, as well as Sparta DOSX with SDINIT and it seems to work.

Of course there are some disadvantages:

• This version uses additional bank of extended RAM (should be able to run on 192kb machine)
  • There is no Hall of Fame, Replayes - all I/O operations are disabled, beacuse there is no xBios
  • The animation during loading is corrupted - but when you boot from HDD there is no time to watch it :)

If you don't accept these limitations, please stay with the original version. I made this for my own fun and all the users who want to enjoy fast load from their HDD interfaces.

Of course some things my not work, it was rather a quick and dirty hack. I will appreciate your feedback.

I use Maxflash Cartridge Studio to put this into a 1mB cartridge. Play seems smooth although I was on the chains more than the track. Nice colors on the start up screen. Also I only tried the practice titles, because of poor eyesight hand to eye coordination is way down. All in All a very enjoyable game.

Now to try it on Side2 and U1M 800xl..

You have to use the full disk version from the first post, the XEX has had XBIOS removed which handles all that..

I am, I have it on a 130K floppy! Have you tried to save a game yourself?

Edited by Gunstar

Had some time to play around with this over the weekend. Gotta say, this is a hell of a port.This would have been a show-stopper back in the day. Fun game.

It's also hard as hell. Gonna take some doing to get good at it.

Just tried Mat, got the same as you...

Well, nobody else seems to be concerned with saving the game, a week after it's release, I guess I'm the only one who cares. This was the second time in the thread I asked, and it was completely ignored the first time, so, whatever. Thanks for checking though Mclaneinc.

At least until some other finally make it past division 4, besides me, and wish to save progress, maybe they will be listened to when they bring it up.

Edited by Gunstar

Well, nobody else seems to be concerned with saving the game, a week after it's release, I guess I'm the only one who cares. This was the second time in the thread I asked, and it was completely ignored the first time, so, whatever. Thanks for checking though Mclaneinc.

At least until some other finally make it past division 4, besides me, and wish to save progress, maybe they will be listened to when they bring it up.

It's been like fifteen hours since you first asked, and that was at three o'clock Monday morning? :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Sussed it out Matt, you don't remove the SCR disk, you just save to it...It gives the impression you need to put a save disk in but when I thought about it saying it could not find the saves.dat I realised it was trying to still read the SCR disk, I was greeted with a set of empty slots , saved and it said I had saved..

Edit: For those playing under Altirra remember to enable writing or when you shut down the VW safe mode will be lost...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

PC era - hardware upgrade, more memory, faster processor.
I prefer the Atari era and classic optimization methods...

And very slow loader... But - your words from atari phorum in polish language - it takes you only about 10 minutes to made it ok for OS Atari (all hardware working fine, not only SIO with 1x speed). Sorry, XXL - you are lier! It is few days after your post and you can't do it ;/ So - some peoples break game to add normall os funcion.

and I will not do it. I will not modify the game. such things should be done in consultation with the author of the game and not do the trash you did with the file version. shame.

Edited by xxl

Sussed it out Matt, you don't remove the SCR disk, you just save to it...It gives the impression you need to put a save disk in but when I thought about it saying it could not find the saves.dat I realised it was trying to still read the SCR disk, I was greeted with a set of empty slots , saved and it said I had saved..

Edit: For those playing under Altirra remember to enable writing or when you shut down the VW safe mode will be lost...

I have been attempting it exactly as you say from the start. using the SCR disk first, and when that showed no saves.dat found, I then tried another floppy, same result. So I don't know. I guess I'll try re-writing it to a new disk. Thanks!

It's been like fifteen hours since you first asked, and that was at three o'clock Monday morning? :)

I have no idea how messages get time-stamped here, but it certainly wasn't 3 am. it was about 9 pm. But 15 hours on AA means my post is lost a page or two back, so I asked again. ;)

I have no idea how messages get time-stamped here, but it certainly wasn't 3 am. it was about 9 pm. But 15 hours on AA means my post is lost a page or two back, so I asked again. ;)

It was 3am where I live, which is in the same time zone as all the UK forum members, one of whom later attempted to answer your query. Other people (devs) who might provide definitive answers live in mainland Europe, only an hour or two ahead of me. I guess many of them don't sit down to look at the forum until 6pm or so. I absolutely take the point about bumping the question, but you seemed pretty cheesed off that no-one had already jumped in and answered.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Sorry, XXL - you are lier! It is few days after your post and you can't do it ;/ So - some peoples break game to add normall os funcion.

Please be civil!

Some post evaporate a strange mood in this thread:

• complaining that we may have overseen obvious potential for optimization
  • complaining that loading times are too long (hey, you waited nearly 30 years for it?!). How long do you normally play in relation to the loading time - does it really matter? The memory footprint is very tight, I'm glad we were able to have the IO stuff inside this otherwise not full featured port - thanks to xBIOS.
  • complaining that the response time for problems it too high. Yes, the original message does not fit very well, but hey, you don't even have to flip a disk!

It's really hard to make presents these days...

Edit:

And the comment from our grumpy squirrel on youtube (named there "olynxmano") is also very motivating: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eRoMjirS3s - get a life!

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 5