IGNORED

PET De Lux

But, will it run this:

attachicon.gifsmzzpinball.JPG

Where did you find that pic, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been scouring the internet for the last week trying to find scans, or at least a relatively comprehensive list of commercially released software for the PET. It's actually pretty dry out there.

Yeah, I've looked and found very little.

This is my own pic. Actually I wrote this game with a friend of mine and Instant Software (brought to you by Wayne Green of Byte and 80-Microcomputing magazines fame) published it. I think they were the first company to publish independent 3rd party software. Tough market, I guess, since they eventually closed up shop.

Our local library got in a PET when they first came out and we used to go down there a couple nights a week after work (while in college) and wrote the Pinball game (Kite Fight was written by someone else. I think all, or at least most of the games Instant Software published on tape were sold in pairs...). They also printed a couple of books with type-in programs for the TRS-80. Royalties "rolled in" (in mostly paltry sums) for a couple of years.

There was a time when I was looking for an emulator and couldn't find one. Maybe now that I know there is one, I might try to get this program running, assuming I can convert the audio file...be fun to see it again.

• Like 2

This is my own pic. Actually I wrote this game with a friend of mine and Instant Software (brought to you by Wayne Green of Byte and 80-Microcomputing magazines fame) published it. I think they were the first company to publish independent 3rd party software. Tough market, I guess, since they eventually closed up shop.

Our local library got in a PET when they first came out and we used to go down there a couple nights a week after work (while in college) and wrote the Pinball game (Kite Fight was written by someone else. I think all, or at least most of the games Instant Software published on tape were sold in pairs...). They also printed a couple of books with type-in programs for the TRS-80. Royalties "rolled in" (in mostly paltry sums) for a couple of years.

There was a time when I was looking for an emulator and couldn't find one. Maybe now that I know there is one, I might try to get this program running, assuming I can convert the audio file...be fun to see it again.

Ha, that's awesome! :) Interesting too that your game ran in 4K; I think that's first example of a commercially released PET game that didn't require at least 8K. I have a .prg of a game called Pinball that I haven't tried out yet, but judging from screenshots and video it's a different game.

Instant Software is one of the few publishers I've found that supported the PET. Creative Computing Software was another one, pretty sure Programma was another one. Each of them also supported the TRS-80 and Apple, and unfortunately there are a number of gaps even for those platforms as far as media/manual/packaging scans and tape digitization goes.

Yeah, it was written in BASIC, of course.

We started out real simple and kept adding things to make it more like a pinball game. For example, when you are ready to start, that hand on the left reaches down and presses the Start button.

Eventually, we ran into the 4K limit and had to start optimizing by combining statements, shortening variable names, eliminating comments, etc. By the time we were finished, it was much harder to read...but it was fun to make and fun to watch a game in play, although there isn't enough interaction with the "flippers".

• Like 1