Photo

SCSI card owners:

15 replies to this topic

#1 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,981 posts

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:47 PM

Do any of you use zip drives for TI mass storage and transfer?  Does the TI SCSI card even support a zip drive?

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,435 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:59 PM

yes it supports ZIP drives.  I use the EZ135 by SyQuest.  I have used a ZIP drive as well.  Did you land a SCSI card ?

Edited by Shift838, Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:59 PM.

#3 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,981 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 12:48 AM

I didn't... but I have been in conversations with a fellow enthusiast who has one, and I've been trying to get him to let it go.  

That's good to know that they can run zips.  :)

#4 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 7:04 AM

I didn't... but I have been in conversations with a fellow enthusiast who has one, and I've been trying to get him to let it go.  

That's good to know that they can run zips.  :)

Be aware that the WHT SCSI "E," "F," and "G" controllers require the version 1.6 upgrade to be dependable in all operations and also PDMA (Pseudo Direct Memory Access) compatable for the Geneve. 

#5 Astharot OFFLINE  

Astharot

Star Raider

• 77 posts
  • Married

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 12:11 PM

I used snug scsi and work perfect. How mass storage use iomega zip and iomega jazz and all ok. For test i try at home friend that scsi card + iomega jazz work perfect also on geneve

#6 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,703 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 10:03 PM

I think I recall reading somewhere the removable drives can be used but not as removable, meaning you have to reboot to change the disk.  Do I recall correctly?  Anyone ever try a LS-120?

#7 Swim OFFLINE  

Swim

Chopper Commander

• 145 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 10:13 PM

I used snug scsi and work perfect. How mass storage use iomega zip and iomega jazz and all ok. For test i try at home friend that scsi card + iomega jazz work perfect also on geneve

Yes, the SNUG ASCSI is the preferred controller. The 1.6 upgrade on the WHT series of controllers brings them as close to the SNUG ASCSI as you can get them.

#8 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,435 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 10:14 PM

I think I recall reading somewhere the removable drives can be used but not as removable, meaning you have to reboot to change the disk.  Do I recall correctly?  Anyone ever try a LS-120?

I have been able to remove my cartridges without rebooting on my EZ135 with the WHT SCSI with no problem.  Once I insert the new cartridge it takes a few seconds for the status light to go back green on the drive but then it's ready.

#9 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,279 posts

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2018 10:31 PM

You can remove and insert the cartridges but to be safe, you should reset the system at that point.  The DSR caches information about each drive at powerup and after certain accesses, and makes some assumptions that lean toward a non-removable device.  So while things may look OK you run the risk of information from the prior cartridge being applied to and used for the newly inserted cartridge until/unless the DSR re-caches the information..

#10 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:05 AM

Last night, I continued to try to get a SCSI EZ135, Iomega JAZ, or a hard drive to work on my, basically repaired and non modified Geneve (not the one I got from, you, oh Insane one), but the one I had blown most of the chips on by plugging into a PEB, that did not have a switching PS in it.

I was trying to use MYS, but it kept locking up at the beginning of the program startup, as it was just starting to display the LUN's. What am I doing wrong? The card did work and format with a TI about a year ago, and also with my PFM+ Geneve, prior to that, till that card stopped responding. I don't think there is anything wrong with either the Genny or the Scsi card. It is a version 1.6 card.

#11 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,279 posts

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 PM

What version of MDOS?   If you are using v6.5, be sure to use MYS 6.5. Type "PDMA"  at the command line.  It should report PDMA ON.  If it reports PDMA OFF, and you try to access the SCSI device, the Geneve will lock. Type "PDMA ON" to enable.

The default PDMA status should have been ON in that release; I either made a mistake or at the time OFF seemed like the right choice.  The 'upcoming' release defaults to ON and also tries to detect the EPROM version.

CYA will force the setting or you can run an autoexec from a disk device.

#12 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:49 AM

What version of MDOS?   If you are using v6.5, be sure to use MYS 6.5. Type "PDMA"  at the command line.  It should report PDMA ON.  If it reports PDMA OFF, and you try to access the SCSI device, the Geneve will lock. Type "PDMA ON" to enable.

The default PDMA status should have been ON in that release; I either made a mistake or at the time OFF seemed like the right choice.  The 'upcoming' release defaults to ON and also tries to detect the EPROM version.

CYA will force the setting or you can run an autoexec from a disk device.

Well the two versions of MDOS  I've tried are 5.00 and 6.70, and I get the same result, seen in the picture. I'm beginning to believe that one of my two 32k sram chips may have issue, as they weren't changed in the blow out. It has worked, so I have assumed that everything was okay, but it may not be. I haven't loaded 6.5 to my HxC yet, but don't think I'll change the results. I have printed out the Scsi manuals and have checked the settings, but till I get this issue resolved, on the Geneve, or get one of my jumpered flex cards operational to test on a TI, I won't know if the problem is in the SCSI card.

Attached Files

#13 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,279 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 AM

Well the two versions of MDOS  I've tried are 5.00 and 6.70, and I get the same result, seen in the picture. I'm beginning to believe that one of my two 32k sram chips may have issue, as they weren't changed in the blow out. It has worked, so I have assumed that everything was okay, but it may not be. I haven't loaded 6.5 to my HxC yet, but don't think I'll change the results. I have printed out the Scsi manuals and have checked the settings, but till I get this issue resolved, on the Geneve, or get one of my jumpered flex cards operational to test on a TI, I won't know if the problem is in the SCSI card.

If you have MEMTEST, run it to check the ram.  The more likely possibility that comes to mind is a termination issue or a problem with the SCSI card.   The MYS formatter first queries the devices on the SCSI bus.  If the PDMA setting is wrong or the termination/card/device is hung, you won't get very far.

And not to sound like a broken record but be sure PDMA status is ON.  Type PDMA at the command line before running MYS.  I think the later version 6.7 will do it's own detection but 6.5 relies upon the MDOS command setting, so if it is wrong, it will lock up.

#14 dhe OFFLINE  

dhe

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 AM

Tim,

What file contains the PDMA - or is it a setting spread out amongst multiple files?

Thanks,

d.

#15 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,279 posts

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:07 AM

Depends on the OS and program version.  MDOS 6.70RC2 and 7.00 (not released) contain routines to detect the type based on SCSI card's EPROM version number.   Since version 6.0 the flag is stored in the OS and is accessible by typing PDMA (to show status) or PDMA <on/off> to change the status.   MYS and a few other programs may detect the mode themselves or with help of the OS. There are caveats to both approaches.

I believe that in MDOS 7.00 the command line PDMA command can override the initial detection. 

#16 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 991 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:54 AM

Well I believe I have found some issue's when i tried testing the pdma stuff, my repaired Geneve stopped working, I believe some of my problem is old TI gear. I will be asking questions about PEB on another thread.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users