IGNORED

SCSI card owners:

Opry99er

After formatting on the TI, can you read sector 0 (which will be a 512 byte sector containing TI sectors 0 and 1) with the drive connected to a PC?

Well, I finally got to download a hex editor for Windows and then checked the various scsi devices that I've tried to format and initialize.

The Scsi2sd still has the dos format that was done on the pc prior to trying on the ti. Never formatted or initialized.

The Ez135 had been in fat32 from windows and it is now reading all zero's, the zip drive the same.

Apparently the formatting is happening, but as soon as it's done on these devices, for about 10 micro seconds you see a quick flash saying something like 'initializing' then a quick flash of error.

Then trying to read a sector it gives the can't read sector zero message.

I immediately take the device to the pc and open up HxD or also winHex and see just zero's not other characters period.

I have checked all the regular logic chips on the scsi card and they test good. Suggestions

What are your DIP switch settings? SCSI commands are sent with a slightly different routine than the data reads/writes. Need to be sure your settings are correct. Maybe snap a pic of your card.

Do you have an image of a working drive that you could copy onto the platter via the PC? If not, I have an image of a freshly-formatted EZ135 that I could ZIP up for you to try. (attached) You only need the first 65 sectors, well, technically only sector 0, to determine if you can read the device from a TI after the structure has been added. Some programs expect sector 0 to be valid before they will read any sector; I don't know if Fred's program has that requirement.

!BLANK-F800.zip

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 1

What are your DIP switch settings? SCSI commands are sent with a slightly different routine than the data reads/writes. Need to be sure your settings are correct. Maybe snap a pic of your card.

Do you have an image of a working drive that you could copy onto the platter via the PC? If not, I have an image of a freshly-formatted EZ135 that I could ZIP up for you to try. (attached) You only need the first 65 sectors, well, technically only sector 0, to determine if you can read the device from a TI after the structure has been added. Some programs expect sector 0 to be valid before they will read any sector; I don't know if Fred's program has that requirement.

Here's a picture of the card I sent to Swim awhile back to see if he had upgrades. The TI /Geneve switch has been set to TI.

post-41593-0-63895000-1550245360_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What version EPROM - 1.5 or 1.6?

I'm pretty sure its 1.6. But not positive. But if I need to I can burn a 1.6 version, I have the means and the .bin's

as a side note I will only be able to view this from time to time over the weekend, not interact. But will be back Monday, Lord willin.

Edited by RickyDean

I'm pretty sure its 1.6. But not positive. But if I need to I can burn a 1.6 version, I have the means and the .bin's

as a side note I will only be able to view this from time to time over the weekend, not interact. But will be back Monday, Lord willin.

As far as I know, you can only use v1.6 (the later version) if your card has been updated. This might explain why the SCSI commands work but the data transfer fails. Rule that out next.

Here's a picture of the card I sent to Swim awhile back to see if he had upgrades. The TI /Geneve switch has been set to TI.

attachicon.gifmsg-41593-0-23568300-1526039745.jpg

This is not a 1.6 updated card. The 1.6 update is a major update that involves a daughter board cut traces, 5pin dip switch, rewired traces and more. I doubt you will be able to get this card working doing what you want to do. I wish I knew what happened to competition computer. All the parts I had for doing the 1.6 upgrade to the WHT "E", "F" and "G" cards went to competition computer after Don sold the rights for the WHT SCSI.

• Like 1

Kyle is still out there. I've messaged back and forth with him a few times over the last couple of years. He still does a little with his TI too, although most of his current activity centers on the Vectrex.

why don't we get him to open source the rights to the community and we can start building some more?

Greg

• Like 2

If we did make a new run of boards we should choose the "F" board and make the 32 pin PLCC part of the board instead of the two dip package chips and increase the size of the ground buss also a couple of changes too the power supply and we would have a very stable SCSI controller that would do what it is supposed to do with TI and Geneve.

• Like 3

MY "E" card, unmodified, worked fine with the Geneve. I don't recall if I ever had it working with a TI as the last EPROM I had in it was 0.7 and I removed it since the Geneve didn't need a DSR on board. The card is currently out on "loan" so I cannot test it.

Do you recall using the "E" with a CD ROM player on the Geneve? I seem to recall "E" owners saying the card didn't work with CD ROM before the 1.6 upgrade. The "E" seemed to be a hit or miss controller or possibly not everyone tried the "E" with CD ROM.

Do you recall using the "E" with a CD ROM player on the Geneve? I seem to recall "E" owners saying the card didn't work with CD ROM before the 1.6 upgrade. The "E" seemed to be a hit or miss controller or possibly not everyone tried the "E" with CD ROM.

It worked from an audit perspective - sending commands to the CD ROM to play a music CD. I don't recall ever using it to read CD data. I used the "E" card with my EZ135 devices for years with no problems. But as you may recall, Geneve OS support was further ahead of the TI/EPROM support at the time, thanks to Mike's efforts.

• Like 1

It worked from an audit perspective - sending commands to the CD ROM to play a music CD. I don't recall ever using it to read CD data. I used the "E" card with my EZ135 devices for years with no problems. But as you may recall, Geneve OS support was further ahead of the TI/EPROM support at the time, thanks to Mike's efforts.

Also you remind me a goodly number of "E" owners didn't seem to keep up with EPROM versions which may have added to mixed results with the "E".

As far as I know, you can only use v1.6 (the later version) if your card has been updated. This might explain why the SCSI commands work but the data transfer fails. Rule that out next.

Well, it wasn't a 1.6 eprom, it was a Field Trial 1.1 version. I burnt another using the 1.6b version that is on Whtech and the former condition stopped. But then a new problem arose. it would format the say it was initializing, and stay there forever.

I sort of suspected from the beginning that I may have a hardware issue involved, I have formatted drives before on a TI with it, and thought the issue may reside in the flex cable or console. As it turned out it was the console. I replaced it and the drives would format and initialize.

I have successfully F&I'ed an EZ135 internal, external, and a Zip 100 SCSI. I have not successfully F&I'ed a SCSI2SD card or a Acard with a IDE Zip attached, but believe these may be configuration issues. I have read sector zero from a DVD attached to an Acard 7722. I've also ran DU2K from the external EZ drive.

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't a 1.6 eprom, it was a Field Trial 1.1 version. I burnt another using the 1.6b version that is on Whtech and the former condition stopped. But then a new problem arose. it would format the say it was initializing, and stay there forever.

I sort of suspected from the beginning that I may have a hardware issue involved, I have formatted drives before on a TI with it, and thought the issue may reside in the flex cable or console. As it turned out it was the console. I replaced it and the drives would format and initialize.

I have successfully F&I'ed an EZ135 internal, external, and a Zip 100 SCSI. I have not successfully F&I'ed a SCSI2SD card or a Acard with a IDE Zip attached, but believe these may be configuration issues. I have read sector zero from a DVD attached to an Acard 7722. I've also ran DU2K from the external EZ drive.

Burn version 1.5 for this card. 1.6 is for the modified cards.

• Like 2

It might be good to preserve a IN file of that v1.1 EPROM as well. Bob Carmany keeps an entire library of old DSR versions for comparison purposes and regression testing.

Your command is my wish Mr. Jim, ask and ye shall retain,was my purpose to begin with. :-D

As a side note I also got IDE Zip 100 drives formatting and working with an Acard 7720U and got my SCSI2SD working also. Just hardware configuration. I am going to attempt in the near future to burn an image to a Acard 7722IR to see if it will work with zips and EZ's. Right now I can sector read a IDE DVD Rom drive. I have an assortment of scuzzy and ide, JAZ, Hard drives, Zip 250 and so forth to play with. Ummm... fun.

WHT SCSI DSR Field Test v1.1.BIN

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 2