IGNORED

Amiga 1200 vs Atari ST.

Sorry to disappoint you - "us" 'Nix users are still around and going strong.

Love Linux, hate Windows, that's just me. I have Win7 on one box here in

my house, it's only for games, otherwise it feels very lonely.... :)

PS Oh - I did post this from that Win7 box. :) :) :)

Sorry to disappoint you - "us" 'Nix users are still around and going strong.

Love Linux, hate Windows, that's just me. I have Win7 on one box here in

my house, it's only for games, otherwise it feels very lonely.... :)

PS Oh - I did post this from that Win7 box. :) :) :)

I didn't say Linux users weren't around, just that their ceaseless, forceful insistence that Linux is a reasonable alternative for the average user has finally subsided after quite a few years.

• Like 2

That is because apart from photoshop & illustrator (and some stupid things that dont work) it actually is.

LOL, ok. I have a Linux box I use as a server. Linux users have strange ideas about what the "average user" is capable, or willing to do.

Who should they call when the plug and play printer they bought at the supermarket doesn't work on their Linux machine?

LOL, ok. I have a Linux box I use as a server. Linux users have strange ideas about what the "average user" is capable, or willing to do.

Who should they call when the plug and play printer they bought at the supermarket doesn't work on their Linux machine?

My Mother-in-law is technically inept. She had a Windows PC that she would literally wreck with spyware or other issues every 3-6 months. I would get the calls to fix it. One day I just got fed up and switched it to Linux Mint. The support calls mostly stopped. She was perfectly capable of using it.

Yes hardware can be an issue, but you do your homework before buying a new piece of hardware. You should do that anyway especially with printers.

Why does printer shopping have to be a tedious near-impossible task? Crap! I remember when I was a kid I spent all of one afternoon picking out AND picking up my old Epson MX-80 dot-matrix..

It was a matter of flipping through the magazines and relying on brand-name fame. Somehow I got fixated that Epson was a top-of-the-line brand. Somehow. Don't remember exactly.

And I used that bitch all the way into my Windows 3.1 & 486 days. I bet I could get it going under XP too!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Why does printer shopping have to be a tedious near-impossible task? Crap! I remember when I was a kid I spent all of one afternoon picking out AND picking up my old Epson MX-80 dot-matrix..

A lot of printers follow the Gillette razor blade model, and sell you cheap hardware but charge you a fortune for ink.

I made sure to buy a pricier printer with cheap ink and good reviews last time around, and ended up with the first ink-jet printer I actually like. It just works, no BS. So of course my wife wants to replace it because she can't print from her ipad.. arrrgghhh! :P

It was a matter of flipping through the magazines and relying on brand-name fame. Somehow I got fixated that Epson was a top-of-the-line brand. Somehow. Don't remember exactly.

Probably because everything advertised as "Epson-compatible" so therefore Epson must be the best, right? Like Hayes and modems, IBM and computers, etc...

• Like 1

Well my Windows machine breaks every update unless I turn on legacy mode and my friend's Mac won't allow adding email addresses with self signed certificates. I wonder how the average user would fix these issues.

Btw, plug and play is still a thing? I havent heard that term since 2005.

Yes hardware can be an issue, but you do your homework before buying a new piece of hardware. You should do that anyway especially with printers.

what is this 1983? I have not had to think about whether a printer was compatible with a system or not since the late 90's

Same people they call when it doesn't work on their Winbox either. :)

what is this 1983? I have not had to think about whether a printer was compatible with a system or not since the late 90's

It isn't about compatibility. It's about style and quality of construction, how the mechanicals work and handle ink/paper. And the ergonomics of the driver/utility feature set.

Well everything needs drivers today, and if a manufacturer doesn't provide a driver or open their specs so that the community can provide one, there's not much you can do..

Well my Windows machine breaks every update unless I turn on legacy mode and my friend's Mac won't allow adding email addresses with self signed certificates. I wonder how the average user would fix these issues.

They call people like me to fix it! At least they used to until I stopped taking their calls! :P

Btw, plug and play is still a thing? I havent heard that term since 2005.

Do you think that because breakage happens so often with "Microsoft Windows" that Linux might be a better choice?

Aside from games, Linux is always a better choice. (IMHO) :)

If any one factor causes me to switch my main OS to Linux it would be the OS as a service philosophy MS is adopting. MS is getting lame because they're just following the industry these past 6 years.

And silencing those evangelists would also be a plus, but not a requirement.

• Like 1

Going back to the original question:

"I find myself curious about the Atari ST, but the impression I get is that they mostly have the same game library and a game developed for one of them will often be ported to the other. That said, i'm curious to know if there are reasons to get both of them for gaming? "

They are similar systems, but both have a few unique features. I suppose it's like asking "Should I own.a SNES & a Genesis?" To that I say yes; even if the games are similar there's nothing wrong with trying both. If you don't like one you can always sell it off, barring extreme circumstances.

This is exactly why I have Amiga's, I have some games the same for both machines and sometimes it is just nice to try something different. There are games that are clearly better on the Amiga, this is not to say they are bad on the ST, they aren't. However, there are games that are clearly better on the ST too. So if you want the best versions, you need both. There are also games that are unique to either the A500 or ST, so you need both. If all you had was an A500 and an STe you wouldn't need much else.

There you go, reasons. icon_biggrinwink.gif

• Like 5