Photo

Looking for commercial BBS info

93 replies to this topic

#26 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:35 PM

I don't have the actual BBS directory layout. Talking to Bob about it. Rather than just post the files, I would rather post an ATR with a functioning system.

#27 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,888 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:50 PM

nothing wrong with doing both, but it's understandable.. Are you saying to make an install disk set? I thought the old way of doing it was to copy to the hard drive and set it up a piece at a time that way.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:51 PM.

#28 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,888 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:57 PM

It's on MyDos disks, but modified perhaps?

#29 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2018 10:05 PM

So, there's a v1.0 as well I forgot about. I purchased the BBS node from its previous Sysop at v4.0 (when it was known as the Silver Bullet) and bought the 5.0 upgrade from K-Products in the 1990-1993 timeframe. 4.0 and/or 5.0 added scriptable module chaining if i recall. Lots of the CMDs from older version required sector editing the end of the command to specify the next one to load. I remember spending lots of time working out the logon sequence, especially between CMD's that worked one way or the other.

5.0 added mind-blowing ANSI support, so calling in from ST ANSITerm or a PC was 80 columns and really colourful! I created custom ANSI logon screens and menus on the ST and transferred them over.

Not sure I'm comfortable sharing my 4.0 and 5.0 disks, at this time as Steven J Carden is still actively working on BBS Express! code and occasionally on AtariAge, and because each copy is custom compiled for each serial number as a copy protection mechanism as I learned in previous conversation with him. Maybe he'd be open to having a particular copy of these officially released. I can attempt to contact him again and ask.

Cheers

Ryan

Attached Thumbnails

• scan0001.jpg

#30 Farb ONLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 659 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 12:06 AM

Thanks, Nezgar, that photo and additional info is extremely helpful! Now if we can just figure out when 2.0 and 3.0 were released  :-D Do you know if your 5.0 disks are 5.0 or 5.0b? Also, the labels say 1990 but do you know what release years are shown in the actual software? My 5.0b disks show 1995.

I wouldn't post disk images of any K-Products releases as the current copyright holder of BBS Express! Pro would probably get upset (I don't think it's Steve Carden) and there's some sort of drama around the whole thing. I don't know if the Orion Microsystem releases (e.g. 1.0 and 2.0) fall into the same category or not.

Edited by Farb, Thu Mar 8, 2018 12:11 AM.

#31 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:20 AM

The labels are probably generic, printed earlier, hence why i had to write the version # on them :)

the '5.0' disks are definitely 5.0b - I booted up my backup ATR in altirra to check "Last updated 10/15/95 v5.0b"

my batch files for single node BBS always just call BBS_50B.COM

Theres also a BBS_50X.COM for "Multi-User BBS Express! Professional"

and a BBS_50Z.COM which is also "Multi-User BBS Express! Professional" but has an additional splash screen, 2nd attachment below, I forget the difference - EDIT: probably MUX Master, vs MUX Slave?

Attached Thumbnails

• pro.png
  • 50Z.png

Edited by Nezgar, Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:24 AM.

#32 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 4,888 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:33 AM

Correct, those are for the mux. Multi-line, and networked files.. it was very slick.

#33 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 396 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 8:32 AM

Thanks, Nezgar, that photo and additional info is extremely helpful! Now if we can just figure out when 2.0 and 3.0 were released  :-D Do you know if your 5.0 disks are 5.0 or 5.0b? Also, the labels say 1990 but do you know what release years are shown in the actual software? My 5.0b disks show 1995.

I wouldn't post disk images of any K-Products releases as the current copyright holder of BBS Express! Pro would probably get upset (I don't think it's Steve Carden) and there's some sort of drama around the whole thing. I don't know if the Orion Microsystem releases (e.g. 1.0 and 2.0) fall into the same category or not.

I think but not sure it's Lance from video 61

#34 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 9:07 AM

BBS Express Pro! Release dates,

1.0 - 05/08/88

1.2 - 06/16/88

2.0b - 02/24/89

2.0c - 03/10/89

2.0d - 09/03/89

2.1a - 08/27/90

3.1d - 02/28/92

4.0b - 07/10/93

5.0b - 10/15/95

6.0 may only exist at Lance's Video 61 house

TCP/IP Express

7.0c & 7.2d have the same date - 02/08/05

Edited by Triads, Thu Mar 8, 2018 9:09 AM.

#35 Farb ONLINE  

Farb

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 659 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 9:19 AM

Fantastic, thank you Triads!

#36 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 PM

I don't have the actual BBS directory layout. Talking to Bob about it. Rather than just post the files, I would rather post an ATR with a functioning system.

If you could post ATR images of anything you have of the Puff BBS, we can possibly create / restore full disks :)

I've become quite good at recovering directories and files using my ATR Tools app...

#37 www.atarimania.com OFFLINE  

www.atarimania.com

Stargunner

• 1,726 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 PM

It seems there was a program called Bulletin Board sold by Magic Lantern Computers (based in Madison, WI) in 1980 or 1981 at $99.95.

The only mention I could find is in an issue of Purser's Atari Magazine from Fall 1981 listing Atari software vendors.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

#38 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 PM

Any news on sharing this? I'd say quite a few of us would like to play around with this rare bbs

#39 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 PM

Well the first thing somebody will have to do is disassemble the modem operating code that sits under the rom, because it checks for the presence of the hardware dongle that also is the ring detector. Without that, the system isn't going to work.

#40 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 PM

Well the first thing somebody will have to do is disassemble the modem operating code that sits under the rom, because it checks for the presence of the hardware dongle that also is the ring detector. Without that, the system isn't going to work.

Not a problem in reverse engineering the dongle through code after disassembly :) 

#41 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 396 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:53 PM

anything new on the Puff Board?

#42 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 AM

I sent Alfred a PM 4 days ago,  still no comment or reply! :?

#43 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:37 PM

Well I haven't heard anything from Bob, and I'm too tired to fiddle with this thing myself. So here's what I have for the Puff BBS.

The NEWMODS.ARC is a SuperArc file that you need to unbundle. I seem to recall there are duplicates of some file, and I don't know why or how that came to be. The PuffBBS.ARC file isn't really an arc, I think it's the MOE program, so just rename it to .COM or whatever binary extender you prefer.

I don't recall much about the bbs layout. I think there was a Dn:MSG> for message bases. Anyway, somebody can probably puzzle that all out.

Attached Files

#44 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 AM

Well I haven't heard anything from Bob, and I'm too tired to fiddle with this thing myself. So here's what I have for the Puff BBS.

The NEWMODS.ARC is a SuperArc file that you need to unbundle. I seem to recall there are duplicates of some file, and I don't know why or how that came to be. The PuffBBS.ARC file isn't really an arc, I think it's the MOE program, so just rename it to .COM or whatever binary extender you prefer.

I don't recall much about the bbs layout. I think there was a Dn:MSG> for message bases. Anyway, somebody can probably puzzle that all out.

Thanks for the post.. It looks like there are a few missing files though..

#45 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 396 posts

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:24 PM

Thanks for the upload. What version of Basic does it run on ? 

#46 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 PM

Thank you for posting these :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep,  there are a few folders used.  If you could post the prompts.dat and other .dat files would help in preserving the original look of the menus and such...

#47 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 PM

Thanks for the upload. What version of Basic does it run on ? 

AFAIK it just requires Atari Basic. Don't recall that it has any specific dependency on either Rev B or C, but BasicXL, etc is out.

As for the PROMPTS.DAT and stuff, I'll have to go find the bbs hdisk, as I don't seem to have archive copies of those.

#48 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 PM

As for the PROMPTS.DAT and stuff, I'll have to go find the bbs hdisk, as I don't seem to have archive copies of those.

While you are looking,  could you look for these missing files too?

Basic Files:

CHAT2.MOD

FILESYS.MOD
 SURVEY.MOD
 SYSMENU.MOD
 UPDATE.MOD

Dat Files:

BATCH.DAT
 BBSLIST.DAT
 BBSLIST.TMP
 CALLNUM.DAT
 CONFIG1.DAT
 CONFIG2.DAT
 DAILYLOG.DAT
 DLLOCn.DAT
 DESPTRn.DAT
 DESPTRA.DAT
 DESCRPA.DAT
 FILEBASE.DAT
 FMAIL.DAT
 MASK0.DAT
 MESSAGEA.DAT
 MESSAGEZ.DAT
 OUTMSGS.DAT
 PASSID2.DAT
 PASSWORD.DAT
 PASSWOR2.DAT

PROMPTS.DAT
 PROMPTS2.DAT
 PROMPTS3.DAT
 QUOTE.DAT
 TYPEA.DAT
 ULOG.DAT

Text Files:

BULLET.TXT
 MAIN.TXT
 STAR.TXT
 SYSINFO.TXT
 WFILE.TXT
 DBASE1.TXT
 DBSEL.TXT
 INIT.TXT
 LOGOFF.TXT
 NEWCPU.TXT
 NEWUSER.TXT
 QUOTE.TXT

A.HLP
  |
  V
 Z.HLP
 ?.HLP

This is an ATR that I have created so far:

Attached File  PUFFBBS1.atr   359.64KB   22 downloads

Still looking for the M.O.E too...

Edited by AtariGeezer, Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 PM.

#49 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 396 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 PM

AFAIK it just requires Atari Basic. Don't recall that it has any specific dependency on either Rev B or C, but BasicXL, etc is out.

Thanks, anything you can find would be great.

#50 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 PM

Found this so far, some notes from Bob

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users