Photo

Looking for commercial BBS info

93 replies to this topic

#76 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 PM

There is a generic help file in those folders, but the [H] Help MOD is looking for >HELP>A.HLP thru Z

#77 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:53 PM

There is a generic help file in those folders, but the [H] Help MOD is looking for >HELP>A.HLP thru Z

That's right,  those should be a breakdown of each function...

#78 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:56 PM

That's right,  those should be a breakdown of each function...

If it came down to it, and a little bit of time, the HELP.txt can be broken down into single files..

#79 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:24 PM

I've copied six of the eight partitions, and none of them have a HELP directory. I have to assume it's not something I ever implemented because I didn't care if the help function worked.

#80 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:44 PM

Well some good news. On one of the partitions I seem to have made a copy of the Oasis IV master diskettes, so I'll ATR them up and post them in a bit.

Edit: Reading some of the download file descriptors, I was rather harsh in some cases:

"A poor mans menu program, runs basic programs from a menu. A pathetic effort in this case."  hahaha

Edit again: OMG, I may have to run the BBS to extract my file area comments, some of them are just golden.

Edited by Alfred, Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:04 PM.

#81 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 PM

I've copied six of the eight partitions, and none of them have a HELP directory. I have to assume it's not something I ever implemented because I didn't care if the help function worked.

Thats ok, the help system is fixable.  Missing 1 MOD so far, SYSMENU.MOD. Which is supposed to be an extension of the SysOp commands.

Thanks

#82 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 PM

Thats ok, the help system is fixable.  Missing 1 MOD so far, SYSMENU.MOD. Which is supposed to be an extension of the SysOp commands.

Thanks

Ok, well if there are mods missing and they also aren't in that NEWMODS arc file, then I have to assume they are something Bob neglected to ever send me, because that partition and the arc file are everything I have related to the Puff BBS. Now I suppose there might be something on a diskette somewhere, in the dozen or so plastic holders I have but I doubt it. I only rarely copied stuff to diskette once I had the MIO and a hard disk, either to give somebody a copy or to sneaker net it to one of my non-mux machines.

#83 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:29 PM

Also missing are UPDATE.MOD and NETWORK.MOD...

#84 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 PM

Also missing are UPDATE.MOD and NETWORK.MOD...

Well NETWORK.MOD will be missing because he never did implement networking. Must have updated it thinking it was coming soon.

#85 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:40 PM

Well NETWORK.MOD will be missing because he never did implement networking. Must have updated it thinking it was coming soon.

Very possible.   It also checks for the "M:" Device in the modules,  which must be a Multi-Link...

Edited by AtariGeezer, Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:45 PM.

#86 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:09 PM

Very possible.   It also checks for the "M:" Device in the modules,  which must be a Multi-Link...

M: will be the multiplexer. He used the mux pipes for inter-bbs chatting, if you ran multiple boards on separate machines. I think I had something crude working where I could chat with people on the BBS from another system with a mux connection. I only ever had maybe three or four slaves because it was a nuisance getting the cards to seat properly in the cartridge connector. The boards tended to lean towards the back of the machine because of the drag of the 40pin cable, and thus didn't always make good connections with the motherboard connector. It's why my main machine I just stacked the chips and the 6522 right inside the case. Bob did my first machine at his place and when that machine died, I carefully dissected what he did and wrote it down, and then replicated it on another machine and it worked great. The multiplexer was really a great tool.

#87 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 AM

Well some good news. On one of the partitions I seem to have made a copy of the Oasis IV master diskettes, so I'll ATR them up and post them in a bit.

This would be cool to play with too :)

Edited by AtariGeezer, Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 AM.

#88 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 PM

This would be cool to play with too :)

I agree.. These BBS's were feared lost forever.. Thanks Alfred!

#89 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 385 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 PM

I agree.. These BBS's were feared lost forever.. Thanks Alfred!

Great to bring these back from the brink of cyber oblivion!

Edited by IndusGT, Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:45 PM.

#90 Alfred OFFLINE  

Alfred

Moonsweeper

• 291 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 PM

Unfortunately these are not sector image copies. I thought the originals were all SS/SD but when I tried to copy the files they didn't fit, so that's why these are goofy XF551 disk images. I'm not sure the disks constitute a runnable system without modification. They should be, but I have some batch files that merge three of the sides together, and I'm not sure if that's just something I did to build me a working system, or if that's what you need to do. Anyway, I think all the docs are there, mostly ARCed and it looks pretty complete to me. I've long since forgotten how 4.7 works, if I ever really did, because Glenda really broke 3.09 (which I did know) when she created version 4. I don't even remember if I ever ran Oasis 4, because after Forem I wrote my own BBS system and ran that for a while until I met Puff, and then I ran his system.

Anyway, for you diehards, have at it.

Attached Files

#91 IndusGT OFFLINE  

IndusGT

Moonsweeper

• 385 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 PM

Unfortunately these are not sector image copies. I thought the originals were all SS/SD but when I tried to copy the files they didn't fit, so that's why these are goofy XF551 disk images. I'm not sure the disks constitute a runnable system without modification. They should be, but I have some batch files that merge three of the sides together, and I'm not sure if that's just something I did to build me a working system, or if that's what you need to do. Anyway, I think all the docs are there, mostly ARCed and it looks pretty complete to me. I've long since forgotten how 4.7 works, if I ever really did, because Glenda really broke 3.09 (which I did know) when she created version 4. I don't even remember if I ever ran Oasis 4, because after Forem I wrote my own BBS system and ran that for a while until I met Puff, and then I ran his system.

thanks for posting this !!!

#92 Triads OFFLINE  

Triads

Moonsweeper

• 281 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 PM

Got it running.. Have to find some text files and move them around, but working... Thanks Again Alfred!

#93 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 PM

This is a diagram of what the basic wiring is for the Puff BBS Dongle:

Puff-BBS-Dongle.png

Edited by AtariGeezer, Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 PM.

#94 doctor_x OFFLINE  

doctor_x

Moonsweeper

• 441 posts

Posted Sun May 13, 2018 4:57 PM

What bbs software did you write? Do you have a copy?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users