Photo

Editing .ADF images, how to?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,673 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 3:22 PM

I'm looking for a utility for Windows that will allow one to work with .ADF files, performing such operations as extracting, adding, editing, and other general file operations.

On the Apple II we have a rather complete utility called CiderPress, surely there is something equivalent for the Amiga. I did search around a bit and found some tools which are dated. Perhaps there's something more current?

#2 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• 292 posts

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 7:14 PM

I've heard of people installing Amigas as windows virtual machines. Emulators probably would do the same thing. Then you could use an Amiga file manager in a window I suppose and bounce back and forth to Windows.

I've never heard of anything as cool as CiderPress for another platform. Ciderpress is pretty dang neat, and is better at file managing than anything the Apple II had naively (Copy II Plus and/or GSOS didn't come close to how easy CiderPress is, IMHO).

Anyway, wish I could be more helpful, Amiga isn't my native tongue. However I have dabbled in it, looking for something like what you described, but never found the program you seek. 

#3 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,786 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Mar 4, 2018 8:17 PM

Check out ADFOpus.

#4 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 6:38 PM

I may have to resign myself looking for a modern utility and go with something that's almost 20 years old. You'd think that with the popularity of the Amiga there'd be a modern-day tool. Unless I'm mistaken on that popularity, and it's just a vocal minority.

#5 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,786 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:44 PM

I assume you tried ADFOpus, then?  I use it every so often in Windows 7.  I want to say Directory Opus does it, too, but that is also a commercial program.

#6 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• 292 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 11:53 PM

Hmm. In my experience I've often found insightful suggestions in the readmes and docs of the emulators for how to manage roms and disk images of their supported systems. Maybe even their 'whats new' logs. Might be worth a look.

#7 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 12:42 AM

I assume you tried ADFOpus, then?  I use it every so often in Windows 7.  I want to say Directory Opus does it, too, but that is also a commercial program.

I have not tried it out yet. I'll check it tomorrow afteroon. It may be all I need.

I keyword searched the Directory Opus' 1200+ page manual(!) for "ADF" and didn't find anything. I also tend to shy away from commercial utility packages. This allows me to make recommendations without cost and annoying registration tricks and hoops to jump through.

#8 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 10:50 AM

Old CS1 provided a direct link for you to ADFOpus.

http://adfopus.sourceforge.net

#9 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:49 PM

Yup. Experimenting around with it now. Unfortunately I think the program is too old to even work on XP. Getting "adfDevType : unknown device type" and "adfMountDev : unknown device type" errors.

Ahh there we go!

Edited by Keatah, Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:40 PM.

#10 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,786 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:22 PM

Well, shyte... that sucks.  I have been (apparently) using it in XP Mode, and now that is not working, either :(

Back to the drawing board, then.

#11 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 4:58 PM

Well wait. I have it working. I'll explain when I get back in a bit.

#12 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,786 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 6:42 PM

Well wait. I have it working. I'll explain when I get back in a bit.

Ah, cool.  Yes, please, I do not have the time to invest in figuring it out so if you have it figured out I shall be immensely thankful.

#13 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 7:27 PM

Alright.. Just have to do EVERYTHING within its own windows-in-windows workspace. Can't drag from Windows' own explorer, gotta use the program's own "explorer". That was the problem!

I tested it out and was able to make a blank disk and move files to and from it, and take files to and from the PC or other ADFs. I swear this is a Windows 95 program and its lack of conventions take some getting used to. Tedious. But it works. I think it best to set-up the workspace and then bring the files to it.. Instead of trying to navigate all over an archive.

I also was able to create a virtual HDD and map it to a folder on the PC through built-in provisions in WinUAE. That in conjunction with a file copy utility like CLImate or somesuch tool. So the emulator also has provisions, too. More than I expected.

Doing this the older way with WB 1.3 Amiga 500 style.

#14 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 3,449 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 10:02 PM

I have used ADFOpus and the modded version of ADFOpus that works with .hfe images as well. Works fine. You can simply create a new ADF and then just drag stuff to it...but of course you are limited to the disk size. Its great in a pinch when I needed to get little crap to the Amiga. There are lots of ways and some involve emulation. Like, I can remove my microSD from the SCSI2SD that is installed in my A2000, boot it in emulation using WinUAE, mounta  folder of stuff and copy it over....but that means I have to take down my Amiga and open it.

Nowadays, the easiest way for my is using a SCSI CD drive. I can just burn a ton of stuff and bring it to the Amiga. It just works.

I have to say that using the ACA500+ on the A500 was bar none the easiest to get stuff to the machine. It really bridged the gap between PC and Amiga.

#15 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:16 AM

There's also null modem for direct connections and plipboxes on ebay for Ethernet.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:17 AM.

#16 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2018 3:00 PM

After experimenting around with the WinUAE built-in tools and ADF Opus I'm satisfied I can do what I need to in a virtual environment - which was my goal in the first place.

Might be a little tedious because of old-school methods and conventions, but it works.

#17 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• 292 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 AM

I have to admit I'm curious... I wonder what is it you are trying to do exactly? Would you care to explain your Amiga project?

#18 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,515 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 AM

Keatah - You may also find ADF workshop useful...

http://eab.abime.net...ead.php?t=71922

#19 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 21,673 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 AM

I have to admit I'm curious... I wonder what is it you are trying to do exactly? Would you care to explain your Amiga project?

It's not really a project or anything. Simply trying to make sure I have all the tools available to work with importing and exporting disk images. And some basic all-around transferring to and from the PC and emulators.

I have some old hires pictures disks and disk images I want to work through, if you call that a project.

In the Apple II world we have two main standards for PC - Emulator - Vintage hardware transfer operations. CFFA 3000, and ADTPro.

For working with disk images (emulator disk image or real floppy), we have CiderPress and Copy II+.

..and I just wanted to have similar functionality for the Amiga.

#20 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 643 posts

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 PM

I can't  believe no one recommended Aros ? 

Live Desktop DVD at  http://vmwaros.blogs...p/download.html

Application archive at http://archives.aros-exec.org/

I run Icaros Desktop in a VM built from the Live Desktop DVD.iso.  It works great.  It comes with lots of native apps including a fully functional WinUAE for 68k Amiga based programs.

Edited by thetick1, Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:28 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users