Photo

Convert from TIFILES format to Text?

13 replies to this topic

#1 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,208 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:34 PM

Looks like I lost / can't find / whatever my old files.  I'd love to be able to get the code as text out.  Possible?

I'll lose my comments (since those were inline), but at least I'd have my code.

Thanks - Howie

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:37 PM

Looks like I lost / can't find / whatever my old files.  I'd love to be able to get the code as text out.  Possible?

I'll lose my comments (since those were inline), but at least I'd have my code.

Thanks - Howie

Are you using a real TI or emulation like Classic 99.  If you are using Classic99 you can load the program up and do a LIST CLIP and it will list it all to your windows clipboard and you can just paste from there.

Edited by Shift838, Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:38 PM.

#3 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:48 PM

perfect, thanks!

#4 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:03 PM

@Shift838 Nope, that doesn't work.  Syntax error.  The manual does talk about using the clipboard as a device, but no details.  save clip didn't work either.

#5 Ed in SoDak OFFLINE  

Ed in SoDak

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:04 PM

Works for me, too, thanks! I had to put "CLIP" in quotes.

On the real iron with the SXB cart, list "DSKn.fileLST" :28: worked great. The :28: option held it to a screen-width margin so it matched the on-screen listing. (Or use :80: or :132: to match your printer if going for a hardcopy.)

That method (LIST "DSKn.file") doesn't work well for me in emulation. The text file is all one "paragraph" with no return at the end of a program line so it's all jumbled together. On top of that, it adds gibberish in random spots. That takes a lot of careful editing for just a listing.

I'm running Classic99 under emulation using Virtual PC on my old Mac. So LIST "CLIP" is slow as molasses, but easier to make a listing since I don't have to "fix" the resulting listing. Tursi to the rescue!

[edited for clarity]

Edited by Ed in SoDak, Mon Mar 5, 2018 11:20 PM.

#6 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,418 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:16 PM

yes, I should have put the CLIP in quotes. 

#7 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,550 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:40 PM

CS1er and TI99Dir can also take TIFILES and show them as BASIC listings.

In Classic99 do this:

Attached File  Clipboard01.png   4.26KB   2 downloads

#8 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,797 posts

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2018 10:58 PM

If you do LIST CLIP (with CLIP in quotes) it will work.

#9 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,282 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:45 AM

If you just want a text file in Windows, you can also do

LIST "DSK1.?W.TEXTFILE.TXT"

The "?W" makes Classic99 write a Windows-style text file. (Use whatever filename you like in lieu of "TEXTFILE.TXT", but you should still include the .TXT extension.)

Saves the step of pasting the clipboard. ;)

Edited by Tursi, Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:45 AM.

#10 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,282 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 1:50 AM

That method (LIST "DSKn.file") doesn't work well for me in emulation. The text file is all one "paragraph" with no return at the end of a program line so it's all jumbled together. On top of that, it adds gibberish in random spots. That takes a lot of careful editing for just a listing.

Just to clarify, the reason for this is that the emulator has still written a DV80-style TI file - you're seeing the raw sector formatting for the disk. :)

#11 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,143 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:54 AM

Convert from TIFILES format to Text?

I use Ti99Dir to quickly look through all sorts of files, TIFILES and disks containing programs, text, pictures etc.

ti99dir_viewer.gif

#12 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,381 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:10 AM

TIImageTool: Drag and drop the TIFILES file from your file explorer into an open image, double-click on the newly created file.

#13 Ed in SoDak OFFLINE  

Ed in SoDak

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2018 1:57 AM

Just to clarify, the reason for this is that the emulator has still written a DV80-style TI file - you're seeing the raw sector formatting for the disk. :)

That makes sense, though the listing is intact when loaded into a Mac text-editing program. It's just all strung together with slices of gibberish added. A straight D/V80 fie makes more sense and can be fixed more easily using find/replace.

Here's a short sample clipped from my Timer program:

-=-=-=-=-=CLIP=-=-=-=-=-

XB list clip:

1050 DISPLAY AT(4,0):"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TIMER 6.04 ~~ 11/28/00 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"P1060 CALL GCHAR(1,29,T):: IF T=58 THEN GOTO 1510 ! checks for colon to skip e/a clock if already loadedˇ7745" :: RETURN
700 ! PRESCANˇash2,Wash3ˇP1075 IF VERS<120 THEN DISPLAY AT(16,0):"~~  TI's Extended BASIC  ~~": :"   ~~ TeKsting EA Clock ~~" :: VERS=130 :: VER$="EDXB" ! GOTO 1550 ! skip clock optsP1100 FOR CLKCHOICE=1 TO 20 :: DISPLAY AT(9,1):"CLOCK?": :"  1=Continous  2=ResetˇESCANˇash2,Wash3ˇN": :"  3=Sequence   4=None   > 4" :: DISPLAY AT(13,27):"4" ! exb clock choices91150 CALL KEY(3,A,Q):: IF Q<>0 THEN CLK=A-48 :: GOTO 122551200

What a mess!!

DV80 doc file clip:

!Timer was originally created on a&Timex/Sinclair 1000, written to assist#me with the new home color darkroom%processes. The TS1000 computer had no$sound, and few screen displays otherˇ&than PRINT, so Timer v1.0 was a fairlysimple program.

-=-=-=-=-=END CLIP=-=-=-=-=-

With a short program, it's tedious, but relatively easy to clean up the listing, add returns and remove the gibberish like you see at line 700 above. For a long program such as Timer, it was much easier to port it from the iron via LIST "RS232" and capture it on my Mac using Zterm's screen log. If it was a file only on my Mac as an emulator file, I first had to convert and transfer it to the TI to be able to LIST it back to the Mac.

So it's easy for me to say THANK YOU TURSI! for providing a way to get a clean listing. You guys earn my respect daily!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak, Wed Mar 7, 2018 2:02 AM.

#14 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,208 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 AM

Super helpful guys.  TI99Dir was very nice to use. 

https://github.com/unhuman/ti99/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users