IGNORED

Will Sega Genesis controller extension cables work with the Jaguar?

flux

Doesn't matter which way you flip them; the Genesis is a 9 pin port, the Jaguar is 15 pins.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just vaguely remember as a young man being amused that i could plug a genesis controller into my jaguar controller so I figured they had the same pins. I'm just recently getting back into Jaguar stuff so there's a ton of info I never picked up on.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just vaguely remember as a young man being amused that i could plug a genesis controller into my jaguar controller so I figured they had the same pins. I'm just recently getting back into Jaguar stuff so there's a ton of info I never picked up on.

You cant plug a Genesis controller into a Jaguar. You are probably remembering plugging a Genesis controller into a 2600 or a 7800 Prosystem. You are remembering wrong. VERY wrong. Please do not attempt plugging a Genesis controller into your Jag. You will break the pins possibly even bend them to where they touch one another then short out your motherboard.

You cant plug a Genesis controller into a Jaguar. You are probably remembering plugging a Genesis controller into a 2600 or a 7800 Prosystem. You are remembering wrong. VERY wrong. Please do not attempt plugging a Genesis controller into your Jag. You will break the pins possibly even bend them to where they touch one another then short out your motherboard.

No I realize that, what I was saying was that I could plug the controllers for the respective systems into each other. Of course to no practical purpose but it amused me at the time. It was with that in mind that I wondered if the extension cables would work.

I would be very amazed if someone was able to take a female Genesis controller end, attempt to plug it into the female Jaguar controller socket and manage to bend pins and short out the motherboard.

Do you remember if both cobtrollers functiond properly after you did this?

They seemed to. I still have them lying around and I didn't set my genesis up or anything but my Jaguar stuff still seems good. Took some cleaning of the cartridges to get it to power on though. I didn't even realize until this thread how different the pinouts are. As a kid they just looked close enough and I was just screwin' around not knowing anything. That's crazy that it somehow even fit.

Edit: I'm now starting to doubt my own memory of having done that and I'm going to try it again when I get home just to see. If it's not that, I wonder what it could possibly be that I was thinking of.

Edited by flux

I would be very amazed if someone was able to take a female Genesis controller end, attempt to plug it into the female Jaguar controller socket and manage to bend pins and short out the motherboard.

No doubt that in the wonderful world of Jaguar, someone has tried it.

• Like 2

Well, I dug out my Genesis controllers and tried it and sure enough, they don't fit together at all. I swear I wasn't on drugs or anything but I guess over the years my memory got a little skewed. I seem to remember plugging something into something it ought to not have been though. I thought it had involved Jaguar controllers but now I don't even know anymore. I apologize for wasting people's time with my wrong ideas.

Genesis controller will plug into pretty much anything from the Atari 2600/7800/8bit to the ST, C64, Amiga, Sega Master System....

Pretty sure that covers all of the DB9 ones? Not sure what ones like the Spectrum used. They may have been DB9 as well.

A VGA cable will fit the DB15. is a VGA extension cable all that is needed to extend the range of the Jaguar controller?

Edit: answered in the thread linked earlier. Answer is No!

Edited by leech

Many years ago I nodded a Genesis joystick to work on a Jaguar as an easier way to play Defender 2000. A real hack job that I still have.

If I remember correctly, I modded the Genesis controller by cutting PCB traces and internally rewiring the cord wires directly to the button / joystick pcb. Then took a genesis extension cable, cut one end off and connected the wires directly to the Jaguar controller button / joystick pcb traces. Genesis cable only had enough wires for directional pad and 2 buttons. To use the 3rd button I installed 1/8 jacks in each controller with wires goes to PCB for the button. Then connected with mono 1/8 inch headphone wire. Genesis controller plugged into extension cable which was wired internally in Jaguar controller. Jag controller plugged into Jag console. Genesis joypad and all 3 buttons worked in unison with Jaguar controller keypad and start / pause buttons.

So yes, you can use a Genesis controller on the Jaguar.

• Like 1