Photo

Cool TI-BASIC Code

30 replies to this topic

#26 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,786 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 11:36 AM

Sigh! I guess I'll just continue to run F'WEB in 80 columns on my AVPC card with two 64K buffers that I can cut and paste between. Or, maybe I'll just use a 128K buffer..

Just curious, is F'WEB actually using the video RAM for VPD related stuff, or is it used as buffers for data that it would be more natural to store in CPU RAM? Could SAMS have been used instead?

#27 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,013 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 11:49 AM

I don't exactly what it uses the 192K of VRAM for but it uses part of it to store the help files and other things. Only 128K is reserved for the buffers. The source is available if you want to take a look.

#28 RXB ONLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,167 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:48 PM

Just curious, is F'WEB actually using the video RAM for VPD related stuff, or is it used as buffers for data that it would be more natural to store in CPU RAM? Could SAMS have been used instead?

The SAMS came along later long after the Digit and other VDP 9938 and 9958 cards had been introduced, but was a rage.

Let us face facts the TI uses VDP for a buffer thus you are limited to 12K most of the time for loading and saving program chunks.

With a limited size for buffer size any RAM would be forced down that very small buffer as a result.

The only other option is to make the file size 255 bytes and take forever to load a say 4Meg SAMS.

Want to fix the issue for both.....9938 with 128K VDP and use 64K chunks of VDP instead of just 12K at most.

#29 RXB ONLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,167 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:49 PM

I don't exactly what it uses the 192K of VRAM for but it uses part of it to store the help files and other things. Only 128K is reserved for the buffers. The source is available if you want to take a look.

Have you ever tried Y.A.P.P. or XHI?

#30 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,013 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 2:42 PM

Nothing more than in passing. I think I have both of them in my library, though.

• RXB likes this

#31 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,275 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:43 PM

The extra VDP RAM is used as a storage for what (mostly) amounts to text data. IE the editor , which was limited to around 24K IIRC without expansion, could now use the vdp ram for source codes in the 96K plus range. Not such a big thing now to create and assemble code that large but considering the time of it's introduction made for a really big deal. Of course it could operate like a RAM disk swapping code in and out of CPU RAM.

The SAMS could have and was used for the same purpose (see RAG package) just not with Funnelweb as far as I know. Bonus of SAMS being the paging and avoiding the data swap. SAMS came late when the party was winding down.

They are simply 2 different methods born of the hardware available at former and latter times. Obviously there are still camps and their respective supporters.

As I know you know, memory is memory and only had it's variations.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users