IGNORED

WIP: Blue KNIGHT\White Horse

sh3-rg

New project. This is essentially the game that was planned to be made 3 years or so ago, and then it ended up being put to one side because it turned into micro fly. So we thought it was time the little knight finally got on his horse and "tin can" could be a thing. The idea for the game was inspired by a work in progress game that was never finished by Loren Schmidt, long since vanished from the website.

So it looks simple enough to play.... but it's pretty devious in that it takes a little time to master the controls. It's all too easy to press duck instead of stab or jump instead of JUUUUMMMMP and end up swearing at the screen - I've done it loads this week. But it does kinda have that instant "right, I've got this, I'm doing it this time" one-more-go thing going for it. Our lead tester (my 6yo son) told me "this game is too hard. If other people have kids and they play it they'll cry". Hence the Bloodborne-esque YOU DIED, because you will die. A lot. I make it look very easy in the video because I've got about 5 hours testing in me through hundreds of builds this week. I was thinking about posting stuff earlier, but progress was so fast it seemed better to hang on until everything was closer to final.

There's been a few ideas for game modes, an easy peasy one for my son being the only likely one to bother with as it's essentially the game that was envisioned and that's that - run, jump, duck, stab and jump-the-fook off of the horse for as long as possible. Music is just a quick random grab, the game would probably be best with a load of comedy sfx instead, especially for that big jump that feels quite satisfying but needs an appropriate yell. One potentially terrible idea I had while working on the game while listening to d'n'b was to have a load of looping breakbeats and queue them up depending on the actions you do and fill in with more muted bits when you don't do anything. It's probably not quite the right project for this idea, though. Oh and yes, it could be reskinned for further levels or whatever, but that would mean level design, fixed levels and all that boring stuff, and it'd all still be essentially the same thing. Rather crack on with something else and endless runners are all we do, so...

Any hitching and glitching is 99.9% likely to be in the video, not the game. The current version of the Elgato software available for windows 10 seems like a massive step backwards to what I was used to before. My old laptop ran that version far better than my much newer desktop runs this thing. Bah.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 24

Nice play and love the music - is that actually for the game or just used to add something for the video?

It's in the game now but probably won't be in the final version. It's by the same guy who made the music I used in uFLY and now 2 people said they like it, so maybe it can stay and there can be a switch for sfx (both together would kill performance, it's right on the edge of falling on its arse when lots of obstacles/enemies have spawned).

Edited by sh3-rg

The parallax scrolling on that looks amazing!

Thanks, Stephen. It looks a bit better now with a big castle scrolling by occasionally (well, half a castle, I've not done the portcullis or flat walls, just the rounded towers so far). A few more things like this for visual variety, and maybe a few gfx swaps for the obstacles/enemies and it'll be close to complete on that side.

post-25413-0-31821400-1520676051.png

• Like 4

Need some help testing on hardware if possible please. There's a version attached, if you could try this out on your setup and maybe take a phone photo so I can see how much of the play area is visible it'll help in making sure there's nothing icky in the release version. My setup allows for massive overscan, I'm just aware that playing directly Jaguar-to-TV will hide a lot of what I can see. If you can let me know if your system is PAL or NTSC, that would be handy, ta. Oh and in-game as well as title screen too, please.

B to start, 0 to quit back to title. No CD but you can still do all the moves, so enjoy the free ride ;-)

tincan.rom

Edited by sh3-rg

Philips CM11362

post-10979-0-91001300-1520787333_thumb.jpg

Sony Trinitron CRT

post-10979-0-60308700-1520787374_thumb.jpg

With the Philips I could fiddle with the controls in order to display pretty much everything.

[EDIT] Forgot to say: both are PAL screens but can be switched to 60hz as evident.

Edited by ggn
  • Like 1

This may be useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan#Overscan_amounts

https://web.archive.org/web/20100331085936/http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/pdf/tv/tv_standards_london.pdf (page 8 ).

If we look at the most conservative numbers, it looks like keeping a margin of 10% on each side should be enough to work in all cases.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

Looking top banana squire! For extra frustration, perhaps a tree or a gibbet that sticks out over the road, as an obstacle for when jumping? So if you do a big jump at the wrong place SPLAT? or just as something different to duck under?

That's what we had originally, but it looked a bit off. Trying to add in fake-3d elements kinda just makes other stuff look paper thin or just look a bit wonk. There's probably going to be a stone tunnel or wooden building or something like that to replace the bizarrely large hollow log, then it's just a quick switch out without having to make another special case. There was an idea of a rare passing *something* to jump high for, but tbh there's enough to think about when it gets shifting and it'd probably end up being a random lucky grab rather than anything planned. It's not far off the game I envisioned anyway

• Like 1