Photo

2600 Works for Split Second then Dies? Help Please

6 replies to this topic

#1 BlimpPixel OFFLINE  

BlimpPixel

Star Raider

• 55 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 8:09 AM

Here's a problem I've not seen before.  I have a 4 switch that once you turn it on works brilliantly... for not even a full second.  It then goes wonky and/or dies.  I had a new voltage regulator sitting around, so I figured why not throw that on.  I know a bad one can make a system crash, usually after more like 15 minutes but I figured why not try it.  But it made no difference.

If I'm lightening fast, I can hit the Reset switch in time and see that the game loads successfully.  Channel select switch works.  Color/B&W switch works.

Any ideas before I continue throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks?

Thanks! 

#2 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,981 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 10:42 AM

This affects all games?

#3 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,269 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 10:56 AM

Might be cracked solder (reply #4) on the power socket.

#4 BlimpPixel OFFLINE  

BlimpPixel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 11:03 AM

It effects all games, yes.

I reheated the joints on the power socket for good measure, but it's not that.  It's not really losing power, it's almost like it just loses the ability to read a game.  It responds the way a non-functioning games does.  Either a black screen or a bunch of waves lines, or maybe a combination.

It may be worth saying that if I turn it off and back on immediately, the game probably won't load at all, even for a split second.  But if I wait a few moments, it will.

#5 BlimpPixel OFFLINE  

BlimpPixel

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 10:09 PM

In case anyone is curious, I continued throwing more crap at the wall and something did indeed stick eventually.  Turns out it was the CPU chip.  Very interesting.

#6 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,981 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 10:17 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. I was about to suggest you might check the chips. I had to swap mine out about a year ago..

#7 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,400 posts

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2018 10:29 PM

I have had so many bad cpu's refurbing 2600's its usually the first ,and  about 8 out of 10 times, the last chip I swap, I think they get a little toasty, it couldnt hurt to slap a little self stick heat sink on the center of them

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users