IGNORED

32x compability and genesis

Gamer888

I have both genesis (I sold my genesis 3) and I play well..genesis games as, only genesis games, no JAP or PAL games.

Leaving in Europe, getting a genesis 32x can be tough and I had bad experiences with that unit, it didn't work, a real nightmare.

I figured I could give another try with maybe a pal 32x??Here are my questions.

1/Does the PAL 32x system works on the genesis?

2/if so what about US 32x games on a pal 32x?what about PAL 32x games on a PAL 32x (but on genesis)?
3/ what about game speed..50hz/60hz and stuff

Thanks!!

Short answer....no.

the Genesis is NTSC and North American region coded. You have to have a matching 32x for it to work. So you have to use a PAL megadrive with a PAL 32x. However, my understanding is that a JPN 32x supposedly does work in the American Genesis.

I'm sure there are region mods that can be performed, but I've not looked into it personally. I have two 32x units. One of them is permanently modded with s-video out only and no audio out to use on any model 1 genesis system for conventions/shows... The other is stock and in my primary genesis with HDRetrovision cables from it.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to me...I will try to dig for a super 32x (fancy name for the japanese 32x). I then wonder whether US 32x games can work on a japanese 32x.

About the component cable for the genesis...I plug a RGB scart cable on a LCD. Will the component cable make a difference. I know component cables are better than RGB scart (quite the same on my xbox though) but I wonder whether I will feel a difference.

I've never owned a Mega Drive (just Genesis), but my understanding is that after a certain point (around the same time as they added the red band with GENESIS text to the side of the American boxes and MEGA DRIVE text to others) games are region-locked. For example when I turned off the Mega Key on my Everdrive X7 newer Japanese ROMs won't load.

For example, Light Crusader. If I turn off the Mega Key on my Everdrive, the non-US ROM gives me a message that it's "Designed only for NTSC Mega Drive systems and PAL and French SECAM MD systems"

Edited by derFunkenstein

Actually I just remember that japanese games don't have the same fit as genesis games..so I assume the 32x might work if plugged, but can't be plugged..

US games and the US 32x can be plugged into a jpn megadrive without issue. However, JPN games will not fit into the US Genesis unless you widen the cartridge opening on the Genesis a bit on the sides. However, the interesting thing on this, is that I can fit JPN MD games into my US 32x without any trouble? Apparently the US 32x cartridge opening is a little wider on the edges and this just allows JPN MD games to fit. So I also find the 32x to be pretty handy for that as well since I don't have to remove any material on my Genesis cartridge port in the process.

I have both genesis (I sold my genesis 3) and I play well..genesis games as, only genesis games, no JAP or PAL games.

Leaving in Europe, getting a genesis 32x can be tough and I had bad experiences with that unit, it didn't work, a real nightmare.

I figured I could give another try with maybe a pal 32x??Here are my questions.

1/Does the PAL 32x system works on the genesis?

2/if so what about US 32x games on a pal 32x?what about PAL 32x games on a PAL 32x (but on genesis)?

3/ what about game speed..50hz/60hz and stuff

Thanks!!

FWIW, I've had a few 32x units that didn't work. If you open them up and remove + reinstall the 2 white ribbon cables inside, many of them start working fine again. My theory is they get knocked out of place from transport/shipping, etc.

The video encoders on the 32x and Genesis/ MD have to be set to the same region, NTSE or PAL, for them to work. A Japanese 32X and US Genesis should be compatible and vice versa because both are set to NTSE. The only issue will be if u want to play certain Japanese games which require your Genesis to be in Japanese region mode, this is separate from what 32X u have.

As 32X are so costly in UK, I imported a US 32x and simply converted it to PAL for use with my PAL MD. the only issue is B/W picture over Composite as the oscillator is still calibrated for NTSE. But this isn't an issue as I use RGB.

U can also install region switches in your Genesis and 32x so u can switch between PAL, NTSE and Japanese region at leisure.

Regarding RGB and Component (Y,Pr,Pb) on the Genesis. Both are the same as the Genesis outputs 240p. Component is better at higher resolutions 480p+ as RGB taps out at 480i. Basically choose the cable that suites your TV input.

32X games don't have a Japanese region lock out as far as I know. I was referring to any Japanese Genesis games u might want to play.

If u purchase a PAL 32X, convert to NTSE. If you purchase a JAP 32X then no modding is required as it is already NTSE. A Japanese region switch is only needed on your Genesis if u want to play certain Japanese Genesis games (google which ones, not all are region locked).