Photo

IS WHTECH still down?

16 replies to this topic

#1 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,064 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 AM

Is WHTECH still down or has the address changed? I can't access the site at the usual address.

#2 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,780 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:03 AM

i kept getting a credential prompt for ftp://ftp.whtech.com, but i used http://ftp.whtech.com and i was able to get in.

hope that helps!

#3 atrax27407 OFFLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,064 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:25 AM

Thanks! Slight change of address.

#4 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,755 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 AM

Thanks! Slight change of address.

Actually, we have always been able to get in with the HTTP address.  Do we know whether the FTP address has been permanently eliminated?

...lee

#5 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:32 AM

yes ftp is still not allowing anonymous logins.. I will ping Don and see if he has a plan for resolving it.

Greg

#6 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:58 AM

Ok whtech DOES allow anonymous now BUT with no password.. browsers default to a email address password so you will be prompted with a username and password box, type anonymous in the username and nothing in the password to connect

IF you are getting a timeout your ip has been blocked probably due to incorrect login creds repeatedly.. email support@lizardhill.com and let him know you think you are blocked to ftp.whtech.com he's pretty responsive

Greg

#7 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,780 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:50 PM

Ok whtech DOES allow anonymous now BUT with no password.. browsers default to a email address password so you will be prompted with a username and password box, type anonymous in the username and nothing in the password to connect

IF you are getting a timeout your ip has been blocked probably due to incorrect login creds repeatedly.. email support@lizardhill.com and let him know you think you are blocked to ftp.whtech.com he's pretty responsive

Greg

i got in with 'anonymous' as the username.  Thanks, Greg!

#8 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,317 posts

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 PM

Is this going to remain password protected?

#9 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:34 PM

Is this going to remain password protected?

It's not.. just enter a blank password and the anonymous username

#10 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 124 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 1:32 AM

Tried with FileZilla (anonymous and blank password), but it says "could not connect to server".  But, I can browse the site directly.  I'd like to use an FTP Client to download stuff, is this possible?

#11 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 AM

Try winscp

Tried with FileZilla (anonymous and blank password), but it says "could not connect to server".  But, I can browse the site directly.  I'd like to use an FTP Client to download stuff, is this possible?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#12 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 124 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 PM

That worked, thank you!

Try winscp

#13 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 AM

That worked, thank you!

likely filezilla is using an outdated or incomplete ftp handshake.. winscp is better on many levels anyway and free

#14 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,381 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 11:08 AM

Maybe it assumes (per standard) that the anonymous login requires a mail address as a password. I tried it with the console ftp command, and also here, it only works for empty password. Normally, this is not an issue with giving a mail address, since you can provide any formally correct mail address (like me@somewhere.net). This is also the reason why Firefox fails to connect via ftp, only via http.

#15 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 PM

likely filezilla is using an outdated or incomplete ftp handshake.. winscp is better on many levels anyway and free

Sorry to be off topic, but what's the secret to using WinSCP? Having no luck ever downloading from WHTech with any FTP client, I downloaded and tried WinSCP, also with no luck.

On the browser side, IE won't even let me see a directory structure and Chrome has its own problems (perhaps the absurd level I have my PC locked down, I don't know?).

I'd just like to copy a few directories that interest me maybe twice per year which I would think would be less cost/traffic to the web owner than me crawling FTP via HTTP and grabbing docs with newer dates.

#16 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 1:01 PM

Sorry to be off topic, but what's the secret to using WinSCP? Having no luck ever downloading from WHTech with any FTP client, I downloaded and tried WinSCP, also with no luck.
On the browser side, IE won't even let me see a directory structure and Chrome has its own problems (perhaps the absurd level I have my PC locked down, I don't know?).
I'd just like to copy a few directories that interest me maybe twice per year which I would think would be less cost/traffic to the web owner than me crawling FTP via HTTP and grabbing docs with newer dates.

Sounds like you are blocked for pwd attempts

Email support@lizardhill.com with your ip and ask for him to check the blacklist

#17 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,429 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 PM

Don set me up an account for WHTech as well, so if anyone needs something moved, sorted, etc, and arcadeshopper isn't available, I can also help.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users