IGNORED

Collecting Xonox Single-Enders -opinions?

CaptainBreakout

So the Xonox games have been haunting me a little lately. I have the opportunity to negotiate on a few for a decent price from a seller, but a decent price for a Xonox game is still quite high.

I currently have two Xonox single-ender games... Ghost Manor and Sir Lancelot. Out of all of them, these seem to be the highest rated among reviews I've read, and I've played em both and they have their charm.

I'd like to think I'm the type of collector who limits himself to games I could conceivably see myself playing. That's been a criteria when I think about adding new games. Sometimes I'll stretch it just because I like the title or the cart label or whatever. I have a hard time justifying and stretching for any more Xonox games tho... especially since they are so scarce and pricey (there's one Spike's Peak on ebay right now for $260!!!)

So I'm wondering... anyone here want to weigh in on whether it's possible to have any worthwhile fun with any of the Xonox titles that might make them worth seeking out? Tomarc? Robin Hood? Maybe even Spikes Peak? ... Or are they strictly a collectors item only? Interested in your thoughts and opinions.

They do have good graphics.

Fun? Um... I've only played Chuck Norris SuperKicks & Arterially Duel. Norris seemed like a cool concept, but I wasn't able to get into it; I didn't know how the controls worked.

They all look/sound cool, but w/o playing 'em it's hard to know if you'll like them. If you did dislike them you could always resell them.

• Like 1

Ghost Manor & Spike's Peak (the first & original double ender release) is imho the best. Those 2 games have the best graphics & are the most playable games Xonox made.

It's also the most common & most affordable cartridge they have. While tracking those 2 games down in single cart format is difficult & expensive.

• Like 3

As a kid I loved the hell out of Xonox. Looking now I'm not sure why, I think it was that they were so unique. Too many Space Invader and Pac-man like games got boring over time and Xonox really went out of their way to offer fresh stuff. I recall fondly playing Ghost Manor, Artillery Duel, Chuck Norris, and yes ever Spikes Peak. In fact for awhile, my dad and I would play Artillery Duel daily. Good times. I could always easily "beat" the games back then. These days. I'm not so sure. I tried to play Spikes Peak years ago, and didn't do so hot. The only Single ender I ever had was Tomarc. I'll admit it was probably my least favorite of the bunch. It's not terrible, but the game play leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

• Like 2

As a kid I loved the hell out of Xonox. Looking now I'm not sure why, I think it was that they were so unique. Too many Space Invader and Pac-man like games got boring over time and Xonox really went out of their way to offer fresh stuff. I recall fondly playing Ghost Manor, Artillery Duel, Chuck Norris, and yes ever Spikes Peak. In fact for awhile, my dad and I would play Artillery Duel daily. Good times. I could always easily "beat" the games back then. These days. I'm not so sure. I tried to play Spikes Peak years ago, and didn't do so hot. The only Single ender I ever had was Tomarc. I'll admit it was probably my least favorite of the bunch. It's not terrible, but the game play leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Yipes, this is the most compelling reply to me so far. Thank you moycon. Sounds like you had a lot of good memories of these games and we're able to enjoy them, in a unique way no less.

I appreciate everyone's input too.

Something that bothers me about the Xonox single enders is that half the labels have a title that is written upside down. I like the cart shell alright, although it feels light and cheap in my hands, but the upside names really brings it down... Especially since they aren't consistent. Cheaply made. Rare. Expensive now. Gah!

@Supergun and in general: I like the single enders because they look good in my cart rack in the game room, which is an old single-serving Kellogg's cereal box diner display, actually two, that I restored. Unfortunately this puts me in a higher price bracket when it comes to these Xonox titles. I suppose every collector has a reason for collecting what they collect. Since I'd have to stare at the "business end" of a double-ender if I put it there right above the TV on the Kellogg's rack, I much prefer the single-enders. Still... > Half the labels are inverted. Gah!

Ghost Manor, excellent game, defeat Dracula and save the girl (or boy).

Spike's Peak, for me, also a great game. also got the C64 version of this.

Sir Lancelot, again, I like this game a lot.

Robin Hood, a graphical mess, but nevertheless, played the heck out of it. It got its charm, again get the girl....

Chuck Norris/Kung Fu Superkicks. ok I guess, but I didn't like it a lot.

Artillery Duel, of course, 2 player game, blow the hell out of your opponent, great

Tomarc, nah

Motocross Racer, haven't really played it

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 2

Wow. This plus the ClassicGameroomHD review of Spike's Peak/ghost Manor got me all jazzed about Xonox again. They aren't just Froggo crap. Still, not Activision either. They were their own unique thing. Flawed tho... Like the upside down labels exemplifies?

I kinda like this Tomarc thing... And how the opinions differ. Has anyone beat the game?

(Also noticed that the AA database doesn't have images of a couple of these carts... Robin Hood and something else. Heh... Yay obscureness.)

Wow. This plus the ClassicGameroomHD review of Spike's Peak/ghost Manor got me all jazzed about Xonox again. They aren't just Froggo crap. Still, not Activision either. They were their own unique thing. Flawed tho... Like the upside down labels exemplifies?

I kinda like this Tomarc thing... And how the opinions differ. Has anyone beat the game?

(Also noticed that the AA database doesn't have images of a couple of these carts... Robin Hood and something else. Heh... Yay obscureness.)

Ghost Manor is a really fun game. Tomarc is fun but nothing amazing. It's a very playable rare game. There are a couple on ebay right now in the $40 range in good condition which is a fair price on that title for a loose cart IMO.

I picked up a single ender Artillery Duel for $15 at a local vintage shop today where the owner knew his stock, doesn't seem too high priced to me. Checking eBay of course the prices are much higher, but eBay is more theoretical than actual value in my mind. :)

Oh, I should say I have two double enders as well, and have found that Ghost Manor and Chuck Norris are both plenty fun. Spike's Peak and Artillery Duel not so much, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by courderoy guy

I picked up a single ender Artillery Duel for $15 at a local vintage shop today where the owner knew his stock, doesn't seem too high priced to me. Checking eBay of course the prices are much higher, but eBay is more theoretical than actual value in my mind. :)

Oh, I should say I have two double enders as well, and have found that Ghost Manor and Chuck Norris are both plenty fun. Spike's Peak and Artillery Duel not so much, but that's just my opinion.

I was never one much for Spike's Peak either. I tried to like Chuck Norris but found it very anti-climatic. Game play was fun enough but it just doesn't have much replay value to me.

• Like 1

Cool input. The more I learn about the Xonox titles, the more I'm intrigued. Found out it was a house-brand of K-Tel, which is rad in that they were everywhere they could seep there fingers into pop culture publishing back then.

I was just going through my VHS tapes and saw they must have struck a deal with Disney to produce an series of music videos done with old pop songs from their catalog, and recycled Disney animation footage. Called Dtv... To cash in on the Mtv craze. This exemplifies K-TEL's business practices.

I read that each of their 2600 titles were developed in separate start-up studios accross the country. That's at least unusual I think, right? It's a good example of a publishing company says 'Woah Atari games are like printing money! Shovel an absurd amount of our resources into making games... Stat!'

Knowing the interesting background of them will at least lessen the sting of hunting down these carts if I can't stop myself.

Anyone know exactly what circumstances the single-enders were sold? Were they retail or catalog item, or both?

I've always liked Ghost Manor, Artillery Duel, and Chuck Norris Superkicks. In spite of people's claims to the contrary Artillery Duel can be played single player with the computer AI filling in for player 2, or at least the version I got on the Artillery Duel / Ghost Manor double ender could be. When the game starts don't plug any controller into the player 2 controller port, then when player 2's turn comes around let the 30 second clock run out. After that the computer will take over for player 2.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2