Photo

2.2 console question

13 replies to this topic

#1 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,338 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 PM

I was under the assumption that the sidecar games bypassed the 2.2 console block for ROM games.. 

Does miner 2049er do this?  If nobody knows for sure can someone test? my 2.2 console is apart right now

Greg

#2 marc.hull ONLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 PM

Side car roms don't live in cart ROM but rather DSR ROM. So not subject to 2.2 tyranny.

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,338 posts

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 PM

this was my belief as well.. can someone confirm?

#4 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,620 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 AM

Confirmed. They get added to the menu as part of the DSR scan, just like the CorComp Disk controller or other devices that change title screens. Tursi had to move a chunk of the Arcturus code out of the >4000 space to make it work as a regular cartridge.

#5 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,389 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 AM

Can confirm.  Arcturus, Miner 2049er, Espial, and Killer Caterpillar all have segments in the >4000 DSR space that then branch and execute to ROM chips typically mapped in >A000 and beyond.

#6 todd4foot1 OFFLINE  

todd4foot1

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 PM

I have only one(1) 2.2 console and two(2) Miner 2049er carts.  Neither cart will work in my 2.2 console.  When in place, the menu only presents the TI BASIC option.  Any ideas why this would be?  This is certainly not an issue specifically for me as the 2.2 console only came into my possession recently and I have other consoles I use regularly.  I was under the impression that it (Miner) would work.  When it didn't (using either cart) my curiosity was peaked.

#7 marc.hull ONLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 PM

On QI mobo the side port fingers are way tight for things like nano pebs, extender cables and side port carts. Are you sure the cart is fully seating as in you can see all the fingers outside the cart ? If so do other side port items or your PEB work with the console ? Strange.

#8 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,389 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 PM

I have only one(1) 2.2 console and two(2) Miner 2049er carts.  Neither cart will work in my 2.2 console.  When in place, the menu only presents the TI BASIC option.  Any ideas why this would be?  This is certainly not an issue specifically for me as the 2.2 console only came into my possession recently and I have other consoles I use regularly.  I was under the impression that it (Miner) would work.  When it didn't (using either cart) my curiosity was peaked.

I'll have to look at mine; I though they all had >4000, but it's been probably over a decade since I did these.

Can you put the Mini Memory in and run Debug with the cart plugged in?  

Type M4000 and press space to go to the next one.  See if you see an AA01 or something along those lines.  Pressing . terminates and brings you back to a prompt.  Next, try to M6000 and see what is in that space (cart space).  If you don't see anything there, try MA000 to see if it's presenting itself in memory expansion.

#9 todd4foot1 OFFLINE  

todd4foot1

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 AM

On QI mobo the side port fingers are way tight for things like nano pebs, extender cables and side port carts. Are you sure the cart is fully seating as in you can see all the fingers outside the cart ? If so do other side port items or your PEB work with the console ? Strange.

My 2.2 is and original mobo, not a QI mobo.  Even with that being said, I am sure that the carts are fully seated and both of my Miner2049er carts have been tried multiple times.  Both carts work in non-2.2 consoles.  The expansion port in the 2.2 works.  I have operated a speech synthesizer as well as a NanoPEB and a CF7+.  I have not connected a PEB to it.

#10 todd4foot1 OFFLINE  

todd4foot1

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 AM

I'll have to look at mine; I though they all had >4000, but it's been probably over a decade since I did these.

Can you put the Mini Memory in and run Debug with the cart plugged in?  

Type M4000 and press space to go to the next one.  See if you see an AA01 or something along those lines.  Pressing . terminates and brings you back to a prompt.  Next, try to M6000 and see what is in that space (cart space).  If you don't see anything there, try MA000 to see if it's presenting itself in memory expansion.

Unfortunately I do not own a Mini Memory cart.  I may be able to borrow one.  If I can get my hands on one I will give it try and post the results.

#11 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,338 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 AM

out of curiosity have you tried plugging the sidecar into the speech synth then the speech into the 2.2?

#12 todd4foot1 OFFLINE  

todd4foot1

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:57 AM

out of curiosity have you tried plugging the sidecar into the speech synth then the speech into the 2.2?

Yes, I have, and it doesn't work that way either.

In fact, it doesn't work that way on a non-2.2 either.  I tried it again just to be sure, but I remember that from back in the day.  I always had to plug the cart directly into the TI to play the game.  It never did work with anything between it and the TI console.

#13 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,338 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 AM

Of yeah probably needs 5v that line is not passed through from the speech synthesizer easy to fix but require soldering a wire through your speech synthesizer board from pin 1 to pin 1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#14 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,389 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:36 PM

Of yeah probably needs 5v that line is not passed through from the speech synthesizer easy to fix but require soldering a wire through your speech synthesizer board from pin 1 to pin 1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

That’s how I dumped them with the mini memory. I applied the 5V after power up and then was able to save the address space to cassette.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users