IGNORED

INTV System 3 - pink screen

Porte048

so I got this system 3 on eBay and he claims to have tested it, but when I try to boot it up I either get:

A black screen with some fuzz at the bottom.

A pink solid screen

Once I got a green screen

The reset function works, but I can't get any of my carts to work, I tested the same RF cable with my Tandy side by side, so no tv or cable issues.

Any advice? Maybe cleaning the cart port?

By testing, I hope he didn't mean the red power LED comes on, so it must be "working."

I emailed him last night to confirm and he say he played a cart on it. So we will see.

If anyone has an idea about cleaning, etc. let me know. I'm hopeful since sometimes I get colors.

Edited by Porte048

You can only reseat chips that are socketed, so no soldering. However, the mainboard is in a metal shield that is soldered shut so you have to break some solder to get to the chips.

If you do take it apart give it a close visual inspection for problems including loose soldering. Sometimes something as simple as some dirt gives it a problem.

I doubt it's the carridge slot but if you want you can try cleaning it with a light abrasive (ie. Some mild sandpaper around a card). Next would be to check the power voltages, and then some electronics troubleshooting.

------------

To remove the shield, I'd get a soldering iron and heat up the solder and pull the shield apart. You might get lucky, maybe it doesn't have a shield.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

You can only reseat chips that are socketed, so no soldering. However, the mainboard is in a metal shield that is soldered shut so you have to break some solder to get to the chips.

If you do take it apart give it a close visual inspection for problems includine loose soldering. Sometime something as simple as some dirt gives it a problem.

I doubt it's the carridge slot but if you want you can try cleaning it with a light abrasive (ie. Some mild sandpaper around a card). Next would be to check the power voltages, and then some electronics troubleshooting.

I'll start with the socketed chips. So open it up, break the shield (advice on this, or do I just HE-MAN it?) and then just look for something that isn't soldered?

I wasn't kidding. All SW no HW

I'll start with the socketed chips. So open it up, break the shield (advice on this, or do I just HE-MAN it?) and then just look for something that isn't soldered?

I wasn't kidding. All SW no HW

No.

You check the motherboard for socketed chips, and then you press gently with both thumbs over it (one thumb over each side)

If the chip isn't well settled, you'll hear a slight crack.

This can make your Intellivision to work.

No.

You check the motherboard for socketed chips, and then you press gently with both thumbs over it (one thumb over each side)

If the chip isn't well settled, you'll hear a slight crack.

This can make your Intellivision to work.

Okay, and those chips are under the shield?

If this is something you bought supposedly tested working on eBay, DO NOT OPEN it. If you can't get it to work, just return it and try another.

As a seller and a buyer, just don't tinker with it. If someone claimed something I sold didn't work and took it apart, I would assume they didn't know what they were doing and broke it. No offense to you personally.

Unless you bought it under the "broken for parts only" section, in which case you should have assumed that, and you can't return it.

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

Assuming this is the INTV System 3 from the other thread, I'll say that yours is not a TutorPro system. The photo above shows part of the power supply board that does not exist in TutorPro systems.

I do hope you get this system working. It looks like a nice system and having such a low serial number is impressive.

• Like 1

Interesting, I've not seen a power supply board with both an axial and radial cap on it? Now, when I recap an Intellivision, I do put two radials in place of the old axials. But the board itself isn't designed for it, so I have to drill out two small holes along the ground plan to handle this in the proper manner. So I wonder if that cap has been replaced in the past or if later models came this way?