Atari 2800 controllers

4 replies to this topic

#1 maxdrive OFFLINE  

Star Raider

• 93 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 PM

How do the Atari 2800/ sears arcade II controllers work are they worth picking up if I can get a hold of them or are they more of a novelty.

#2 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

Absolute Beginner

• 6,281 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 PM

Unless you have a 2800 or Video Arcade II to use them on, they're not really that useful, as it's the only console that has onboard hardware to switch between their joystick and paddle functions. (They could be used with a regular Atari system but would need to be hooked up with a Y-cable into the same controller jack for paddle usage...and who wants to futz with that?)

On top of that, they're just not great controllers. The fire buttons and joystick are somehow both stiff and mushy feeling at the same time. The paddle is pretty nice when clean, and the joystick is okay if the internal parts aren't worn out, but the fire buttons are its Achilles' Heel for me. The action is waaay too long on them, and not especially responsive anyway. Definitely a hand-cramper. And unfortunately, there's no good way to mod them to improve the response or tactile feel (microswitches alone would make a world of difference) without performing relatively extensive alterations to the shell and/or parts, so you're essentially stuck with what it is. Too bad; it could have been a pretty sweet controller--it certainly looks sweet!

TLDR: don't bother.

Edited by BassGuitari, Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 PM.

#3 maxdrive OFFLINE  

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 93 posts

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 PM

The look is what I liked you could tell the 7800 is based off that look with the buttons on the side I would have loved one controller for paddle and joystick the idea of home brews based off that like a Tron one for the paddle for the dial controls of the arcade

#4 H454 OFFLINE  

• 379 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:06 AM

more of a novelty.

You answered your own question. icon_wink.gif

The Chances of you finding a working one is small. The spring for the fire button breaks and the white plastic that holds the potentiometer in the joy stick bends out of shape, turning the joystick unusable.

But, the spring is still available from best electronics.

#5 Oldschool80skid OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 AM

Best Electronics has them for $29.95 + shipping.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users