IGNORED

One Line Disk Catalog Program

senior_falcon

Many years ago I saw probably the most clever XB program I have ever seen. It was a one line program that cataloged a disk - Disk title, file names, file types, etc. Does anyone have a copy of this program? I would love to see a listing.

It was posted here..searching

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eatariage%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F247282-One-liner-contest%23entry3403718&share_tid=247282&share_fid=4675&share_type=t&share_pid=3403718

This is a Disk Cataloger Program which allows to catalog the Disk Drive you input at the beginning:<br />1 IF B=0 THEN INPUT B :: GOTO 1 ELSE C=C+1 :: OPEN #1:"DSK"&STR$(B)&".",INPUT ,RELATIVE......

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw another one too.

1 IF B=0 THEN INPUT B :: GOTO 1 ELSE C=C+1 :: OPEN #1:"DSK"&STR$(B)&".",INPUT ,RELATIVE,INTERNAL :: INPUT #1,REC C:A$,A,J,K :: IF LEN(A$)=0 THEN CLOSE #1 ELSE PRINT USING "########## ### #":A$,J,A :: CLOSE #1 :: GOTO 1

Geez.... the badassedness.... it hurts...

• Like 2

Hmm try this in RXB it will take any key 1 to 9 or A to Z for RAM Disk too.

1 PRINT :"DSK?" :: CALL BEEP :: CALL KEY("",0,K,S) :: CALL CAT(K) :: GOTO 1

RXB version does not need ENTER key to input the disk just press any key you wish.

Just press 1 or 9 and catalog works.....going to be hard to beat that one in a single line.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

Then there's the one in SXB: CALL CAT("DSKn.")

Hmm try this in RXB it will take any key 1 to 9 or A to Z for RAM Disk too: 1 PRINT :"DSK?" :: CALL BEEP :: CALL KEY("",0,K,S) :: CALL CAT(K) :: GOTO 1

Myarc controllers: CALL DIR(drive)

...and In fbForth,

1 CAT

or

DIR DSK1.

...but—though certainly convenient, none of these one-line programs is clever. They merely call previously written cataloging routines.

...lee

• Like 1

...and In fbForth,

1 CAT

or

DIR DSK1.

...but—though certainly convenient, none of these one-line programs is clever. They merely call previously written cataloging routines.

...lee

Can any others do CALL CAT("SCS2.DIRECTORY.SUBDIRECTORY.") I know they can but when they hit another

directory they crash as they do not report DIRECTORIES and not designed to do so like RXB.

This is something I added to RXB to stand out above the others.

RXB 2012 showing off using the SCSI drives and Catalog on RXB and REA:

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

The main reason I asked this question is that I have no more room in XB256. XB256 includes the disk catalog program from EZKey, accessed with CALL LINK("CAT"). Although it works fine, it is bulky and sloppy. I was hoping that, rather than recoding the disk cataloger, it might be possible to replace it with a compact XB program and trick XB into running it without actually having to enter it. But as I look at the XB program, I am thinking that this is not the right way to proceed.

The main reason I asked this question is that I have no more room in XB256. XB256 includes the disk catalog program from EZKey, accessed with CALL LINK("CAT"). Although it works fine, it is bulky and sloppy. I was hoping that, rather than recoding the disk cataloger, it might be possible to replace it with a compact XB program and trick XB into running it without actually having to enter it. But as I look at the XB program, I am thinking that this is not the right way to proceed.

Also Directories are a added issue as many people use Win99 and MESS and have SCSI or WDS drives.

I'm not sure if this is a viable workaround for you or not. I have a little catalog/run/file-read routine I liked that I would include as part of a program's code. I'd simply merge it in and add it to the program's menu so it would be there while running the program. Then I could also have niceties, like listing file type as well as name and size or even running another program or reading the docs from there. That helped make my little group of programs and utilities into a "suite" of programs I could move from one task to the next with just a few keyclicks and never need to drop out for some mundane task, like finding a disk with empty space on it to save a file before quitting.

But back to the "Tinygram" type of cataloger, I'm sure Micropendium had several they published. I'm reviewing old issues now looking for one (and the fun nostalgia of re-reading this venerable old rag that was our mainstay before the internet took over).

-Ed

• Like 1

I saw this one-liner cat that included file type, reprinted in the V1#5 edition of Yesterday's News, that illustrious publication that is the fruit of Sparkdrummer's fertile mind! :thumbsup:

Flagrantly purloined below.

-Ed

post-38786-0-92301800-1522125862.jpg

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 1