Photo

Roller Controller Issue

13 replies to this topic

#1 4300 OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• 123 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 AM

So I picked up a roller controller recently and found that "down" doesn't work. When you roll the ball in the down direction, the icon on the screen goes up. Up, left and right work fine. I thought this may just be an issue with the rollers inside the controller, so I cleaned those and oiled the bearings. The controller feels nice and smooth now, but it didn't fix the issue. I cleaned the optical sensors as well with no luck. I did notice that a couple of the bearings were starting to rust, so it's possible this thing was exposed to water at some point. Anyone familiar enough with these things to know where to look for the issue?

#2 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,477 posts

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 PM

I've read that sometimes the optical sensors go bad, and perfect replacement parts are hard to find. I've had several with similar problems, but I've never tried to fix one.

#3 4300 OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:14 AM

I'm guessing it's probably the sensor. I did view it with my phones camera and saw both channels on the optical switch light up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's working. I did find someone selling dual channel, slotted optical switches, which at least size-wise look like they're compatible. If they work, I'll post a link.

#4 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,523 posts

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 AM

Check the electrical continuity through the cable and connectors. I think it uses pins 7 and 9 on both connectors.

#5 4300 OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 AM

Checked for continuity through the cables and everything checked out. Also inspected for cold solder joints and found nothing questionable.

#6 4300 OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 PM

Huzzah! It's alive. Replaced the optical sensor with the closest match i could find and it's back in business. I'll include a screenshot of the switch i purchased if anyone is interested. You will need to trim the tabs off the sides for it to fit.

IMG_20180323_171512.jpg Screenshot_2018-03-23-17-26-07-1.png

#7 Coldheat OFFLINE  

Coldheat

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:09 PM

Thanks for finding the part. I bought one recently for $25.00 but they did not know if it worked. The left/right doesw not work. If this fixes it then it cost me 35.00 since I am buying 2 sensors in case. I will let you all know if this fixes mine...

#8 Lendorien OFFLINE  

Lendorien

Stargunner

• 1,277 posts

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 AM

Woah.  That's awesome. I think I asked about this a couple years ago and got the "Parts no longer available" answer.

I have one of these that has dodgy optical sensors. I'm going to go find me that part.

#9 Coldheat OFFLINE  

Coldheat

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:18 PM

Ok so I ordered 2 of the optical sensors and it did not fix my issue. I did a search and found some schematics for the roller controller. So I broke out my multi-meter and began to test pins. used the known working sensor and compared the voltages on the IC inputs and outputs for each sensor according to the schematics. (I have a little background in electronics so I can reasonably understand the circuits.) When spinning the optical roller I did see a Hig/Low or 5v/0v signals where there should be. I noticed even on the one I replaced it was also reading fine so I don't think the sensor that i replaced is bad. I traced it down to pin 9 of the actual 9 pin connector (From the board to the connectors end). Since it is molded plastic I can not open it to see if a pin came loose or a solder joint is broken. I could not get any continuity until I cut off the end and striped the pin 9 wire. So I am ordering some db9 connectors and I am going to replace both connectors. I will update this thread as soon as I get the parts. 

It would be easier just to solder a cord from another unit but I dont have one...lol.

The Schematics:

http://www.theadamre...atics/index.htm

The DB9 Conector

https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#10 Lendorien OFFLINE  

Lendorien

Stargunner

• 1,277 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 PM

Ok so I ordered 2 of the optical sensors and it did not fix my issue. I did a search and found some schematics for the roller controller. So I broke out my multi-meter and began to test pins. used the known working sensor and compared the voltages on the IC inputs and outputs for each sensor according to the schematics. (I have a little background in electronics so I can reasonably understand the circuits.) When spinning the optical roller I did see a Hig/Low or 5v/0v signals where there should be. I noticed even on the one I replaced it was also reading fine so I don't think the sensor that i replaced is bad. I traced it down to pin 9 of the actual 9 pin connector (From the board to the connectors end). Since it is molded plastic I can not open it to see if a pin came loose or a solder joint is broken. I could not get any continuity until I cut off the end and striped the pin 9 wire. So I am ordering some db9 connectors and I am going to replace both connectors. I will update this thread as soon as I get the parts. 

It would be easier just to solder a cord from another unit but I dont have one...lol.

The Schematics:

http://www.theadamre...atics/index.htm

The DB9 Conector

https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did you ever get any resolution on this?

#11 Coldheat OFFLINE  

Coldheat

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:23 AM

Yes. I used a multi meter and did a continuity check between each of the 9 pins in the connector against the points soldered to the board and found one of the pins had an open. I cut the connector off and replaced it with https://smile.amazon...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it now works. I do have a few extra optical sensors I picked up on eBay in case someone thinks it could fix their issue I would gladly sell (cheap) But I only have 5 I think. Have to look.

#12 MMarcoux66 ONLINE  

MMarcoux66

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 12:04 PM

I just got a bronken Roller Controller today. Cleaning the motherboard now but it looks like one of the optical sensors is bad. That eBay auction doesn't look like it is available :(. Any other source for these?

#13 4300 OFFLINE  

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 123 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:57 PM

Couldn't hurt to contact the seller

#14 MMarcoux66 ONLINE  

MMarcoux66

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:00 PM

Couldn't hurt to contact the seller

I did and they said they didn't have any additional.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users