IGNORED

Pole Position & Invaders not compatible with the Atari XE system.

joshblaize

Pole Position does not seem to work with the Atari 130 XE computer, but it works with the Atari 800 XL computer. Invaders does not seem to work with the Atari 130 XE computer. The Invaders game just displays dollar signs on the screen, and freezes. Invaders worked fine with the Atari 800 XL computer. Is it possible to get Pole Position and Invaders to work on an Atari XE computer? Are there any other games that won't work with the Atari XE computer, but only work with the Atari XL computer, instead? Is there any way to get some of the other games that work fine on an Atari XL computer, to work with an Atari XE computer, if the Atari XE computer is having compatibility issues? The Pole Position game was on a floppy disk. Invaders was also on a floppy disk. Would these two games work better on a cartridge, instead. The Gorf game, that I had on cartridge didn't work for my Atari XL or Atari XE computer.

Stupid question but are you holding down Option when booting to disable BASIC?

If that's not it - which versions of the games are they?

I have a 130XE and don't have a problem with those games (not originals) though I had an original PP on tape and it worked.

The Gorf cart requires an older 400/800 OS (OS-A or OS-B), thus the cart will not work on XL nor XE computers.

It is possible to get the Gorf cartridge to run on a XL using the "Ultra Translator 2.0" program or Video61's "Translator Cart" (which itself is a modified version of "Ultra Translator").

I don't know what the issue with "Pole Position" could be. It should work fine on all A8 models.

Stupid question but are you holding down Option when booting to disable BASIC?

If that's not it - which versions of the games are they?

I have a 130XE and don't have a problem with those games (not originals) though I had an original PP on tape and it worked.

Yes I always hold down on the Option key, whenever I boot up an arcade game for the Atari computer. They are versions of the games that a friend gave me. He probably downloaded them with his Atari modem. They worked for the XL computer, but not the XE computer.

• Like 1

Those should all work. Likely they're pirated or 3rd party releases that don't do PORTB banking properly.

The only XE "issue" should be that you'd not be able to pause and do a few other things on an XEGS without keyboard.

Thanks. Is there a program that could convert these games from Atari XL to Atari XE?

The Pole Position game was on a floppy disk. Invaders was also on a floppy disk. Would these two games work better on a cartridge, instead.

He stated that the games are both on floppy.

Maybe getting a SIO2SD device would help. At least, it would make finding and using alternative versions of games easier.

I haven't seen a single game that worked on the XL and not work on the XE. Also please note the OPTION key is not needed on Cartridges.. And you can use the built in Keyboard test to see if the key works.

IIRC, Blue Max and The Tail of Beta Lyrae have issues. Karateka and The Great American Cross-Country Road Race as well.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Another stupid question - does the Option key work on the XE?!

boot to basic and test it with this if needed:

0 ? PEEK(53279):GOTO 0

hold the key in and see if it the value changes and remains constant

Not a stupid question. yes it does.. and you can test them in keyboard test screen. Boot holding option should take you to the diags, if not type "bye" at the BASIC prompt and pick keyboard test.

I have a Imagic Demon Attack cart that only works on a 400/800 computer and not the XL/XEs.

I don't own a "Demon Attack" cartridge so I haven't been able to try it out with the "Ultra Translator" program to see if it can be made to work on an XL. If you have a SIO2SD or SIO2PC you should give it a try.

Another stupid question - does the Option key work on the XE?!

boot to basic and test it with this if needed:

0 ? PEEK(53279):GOTO 0

hold the key in and see if it the value changes and remains constant

The Option key always worked on my computer. I do remember the PEEK(53279) command whenever I would program in Basic for the Atari. POKE 54018,52 would turn on the data Atari cassette recorder, if you wanted to listen to tapes. The PEEK(53279) command detects whether or not the Option key, Select Key, or Start key were pressed, but it does not detect the Help key. The Help key uses a different peek address. The Help key also works on my computer. The Help key works in the Self Test mode.

• Like 1

No program, it'd have to be done by hand. If they're files on disk then just replace them with known working ones.

Really, it's hardly worth much bother, there's plenty of releases of Space Invaders and Pole Position that work fine on your machine.

I realized that I copied these games to another disk by using DOS 2.5 and those two games must of had a copy protection. Some of the games require a good image, before they can be copied to another disk properly. My friend must of used some copier program, that could copy those games properly. It probably depends on what program or software you use to copy the files.