IGNORED

Suncom TAC-2 joystick

Zap!

I have managed to find at least 4 in the wild here locally and usually for less than $10 each. One of them doesn't work, but I'm inclined to think it is an issue with the cord and not the innards since the TAC-2 is built like a tank inside.

Yes.... Yes I do. My preferred controllers for Atari 2600 and 7800 playing are actually the newer NES like pads from Danthwander but the TAC-2 and Epyx 500XJ are pretty close.

I tend to shy away from the gamepads for Atari-style systems, but I do sometimes use Sega six button pads. My favorite is the Epyx 500XJ as well, but I'm always on the lookout for quality alternatives.

• Like 1

I have a couple of Tac-2s, and I just absolutely love them. Accurate, feel great, built great, can't say much more about them. If you find one, nab it.

I had one that I got for $5 years ago at a vintage game store that was broken, but even with my nonexistent skills at fixing things, I managed to open it, clean it, and get it working fine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just won this eBay auction. $60.86 with shipping for two is a little steep, but whatever.

Not bad. I just paid $38.57 shipped for one. I think we were inadvertantly bidding against each other for the two TAC-2s, though towards the end it was probably someone else bidding against you since I set a lower cap. Let's just hope these are all 100% functional!

• Like 1

Not bad. I just paid $38.57 shipped for one. I think we were inadvertantly bidding against each other for the two TAC-2s, though towards the end it was probably someone else bidding against you since I set a lower cap. Let's just hope these are all 100% functional!

Well, hopefully they all work. Either way I'll be taking mine apart for a good cleaning, as they look a little dirty.

I'm glad I have two, because I'll be hooking one up to my 800XL and the other one to my Mega STE. No need to share a joystick. :)

• Like 1

Mine came in the mail today. Both work, although I have to press a little hard for the buttons to function. I will give both a good cleaning later on tonight. Let me know how yours turns out.

I have to periodically clean the brass washer that makes the contact for the fire button. It's really the only problem I've ever had with the Tac-2.

• Like 1

I have to periodically clean the brass washer that makes the contact for the fire button. It's really the only problem I've ever had with the Tac-2.

I actually did that last night, and pressed each spring down for 30 seconds. Now the fire button works with a simple push, rather than pressing it hard like before.

Mine arrived last week, but I didn't get a chance to really try it until today. The left button was non-functional, but I was able to open it up and spray clean it internally, so it's now fully functional (it has weird square hole screws, but fortunately I had the correct head available). In my limited play testing, it seems quite nice, although I need more time with it to determine if I'll like it more than my Epyx 500XJ. Internally, though, you can definitely see how it has more premium parts that your typical Atari-style joystick.

Anyone try the similar Starfighter joystick? Externally, it looks more or less the same as this controller, save for a bat joystick instead of a ball top.

• Like 1

Mine arrived last week, but I didn't get a chance to really try it until today. The left button was non-functional, but I was able to open it up and spray clean it internally, so it's now fully functional (it has weird square hole screws, but fortunately I had the correct head available). In my limited play testing, it seems quite nice, although I need more time with it to determine if I'll like it more than my Epyx 500XJ. Internally, though, you can definitely see how it has more premium parts that your typical Atari-style joystick.

Anyone try the similar Starfighter joystick? Externally, it looks more or less the same as this controller, save for a bat joystick instead of a ball top.

Yeah, after a good cleaning they work so much better. It's an odd setup inside. Those copper washers lose contact and have to be cleaned good.

I have the 500XJ connected to my Mega STE. It's ok, but the design always felt a bit off to me. It's like I have to grab it like a vice in my left hand. I'm gonna connect my second Tac-2 to my Mega and put the 500XJ in the closet.

The StarFighter and it's siblings, SlikStik and Blaster, are basically single button, smaller versions of the TAC-2. Internally, the mechanics are the same.

post-52271-0-83155900-1524976575_thumb.jpg

post-52271-0-99355900-1524975422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Check out e5frog's tip in the comment section about the fire buttons.

"If you solder the fire wire to the brass ring on the button and ground both the metal pieces under the button - that will help a lot."

The one gripe I've had with my TAC-2's was the fire button wasn't 100% responsive, like 1 of 437 times it would miss an action, even after sanding the contacts. I did e5frog's tip on one of my TAC-2 sticks, problem solved.

Edited by onlyinajeep
  • Like 2

Just picked up a pair of non-working Slick Sticks in a Craigslist ad for a bunch of free stuff. Cracked them open, and was surprised at the mechanics behind them. Looked like they took a lot of abuse, since some of the wires were disconnected and a few metal contacts came loose from the plastic tabs. After cleaning and reassembly, both work really well. Think I found my new Go-to sticks

• Like 3

• 1 year later...