IGNORED

Weird issue with my ColecoVision

IndyJones1023

Hi, all! It's been a long while since I've popped in here. But my kids are out of the house and I've been cleaning/reorganizing and setting up some of my classic systems. One of which is my beloved and hacked ColecoVision.

Years back I connected with a guy in Dallas to alter my CV and add the RCA video/audio out jacks. It worked for a while but I recall it stopped working. I just now set it up again to refresh my memory and investigate a little further.

When I power it on with a cartridge in (I tried 3 different ones) the screen says "turn game off before inserting cartridge or expansion module." However, if I insert the Atari expansion module then the system plays any Atari cart just fine. But it doesn't seem to recognize CV carts.

Is this a classic issue? Is there a simple fix? Or should I just eBay it and hope to find a fully working model?

Side note - I was sure I found this guy who hacked CVs here on this forum. But I cannot find my message exchange with him.

I would look closely at the pins in the card edge connector to begin with and see if any may be bent not making contact and also if they are dirty and clean them, then go from there.

EDIT:

Can you take a pic of the cart port so we can see the pins.

Edited by SignGuy81

+1 to cleaning the cart slot and cart edge connectors. For cleaning the slots, Ive found taking an old credit card cut to the proper width, wrapping it with some card stock also cut to width, and dipped in some 91% iso alcohol works great.

The card stock is thick enough it wont tear easily when wet, and has a very minor bit of texture to clean the pins. A qtip works well with the 91% to clean the cart edge connector.

I can already see one side of one of them is bent(maybe others but can't tell because the angle of the shot). The bottom left one in the picture one side of it is bent and the half that isn't may not be making contact so try to fix that one and look for others like that.

EDIT:

You may need to take something like a sewing needle to bend it back right.

Edited by SignGuy81

If you have a harbour freight near you, they sell a 4 piece pick set that is perfect for this. It only costs a couple bucks.

Always on sale for $1.99 and they are one of HF's best buys imo. I have several sets that I use on the job and in my garage...I've yet to break or even bend one.

Id give a good cleaning a shot before trying to tweak pins. Bent pins are far less likely than dirty contacts.

And honestly I dont see it in your picture any way. These slots are a lot more robust than people give them credit for. My family heavily used our Coleco growing up. Often changing games every 10 minutes or so daily for hours on end for several years. And 6 year olds arent exactly easy on inserting and removing cartridges. And never once bent a pin. My childhood Coleco works just as good as ever. Of course I gave the slot, switch, and carts all a good cleaning a couple years ago.

Edited by nick3092

I would still fix the pin, it is in the pic if you zoom in it is pretty obvious. I agree certainly about cleaning them as well however. With one side of the pin bent back it isn't going to connect and if they are dirty that is much more likely for it not to make contact at all with only 1 side of it touching, so I would definitely suggest fixing, and cleaning.

EDIT:

Looked again, another one I can see that is bent is the upper right pin in the pic.

Edited by SignGuy81

I zoomed in several times and I dont see anything different about the pins you are pointing out. But pictures are hard to judge that stuff sometimes.

Either way, I always recommend starting with the least drastic method first (cleaning) before moving on to more drastic methods (tweaking pins).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any advice? I managed to get the top off and used one of those picks, but I think I made it worse. It still turns on and gives me the same message. What am I supposed to be doing with the pick? Pry that first connector on the lower left, yes?

Yes, you want to try to make all the bad ones look as much like the good ones as possible.

I can't get it to work, so it's all up for sale. :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273166274655

Good luck with the sale but one thing:

"WORKING ColecoVision w/RCA output mod, tons of extras, 17 carts, Atari module"

It is your business how you list it but in the title if I see "working"(and you even have that word in all caps) and in "used" category I'm assuming the product is working fully as intended, not just partially working and I believe that is the policy as far as listing goes on ebay. Yes you did mention in the description that it won't read CV carts but I would still change the title to "Partially Working" if it were me. Just my opinion as a buyer but list however you want.

EDIT:

I double checked that about the policy.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellingresources/itemconditionlookup.html

First step click "Video Games", then click "Systems."

After that you have a list of appropriate condition categories.

Here is you will find:

"Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections."

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by SignGuy81