Photo

Not my Atari VCS (that console formerly known as Ataribox)

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Reuse of the name Atari VCS for the upcoming console formerly know at Ataribox (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Reusing the name Atari VCS is a misappropriation of the name & leagacy of the original conosle

1. Agree (75 votes [76.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.53%

2. Disagree (23 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

The name Atari VCS for the new console formely known as Ataribox is an appropriate tribute honoring the lagacy of the original console

1. Argree (19 votes [19.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.39%

2. Disagree (79 votes [80.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tidus79001 OFFLINE  

Tidus79001

Star Raider

• 208 posts
  • I will not comply

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 AM

I feel that the name Atari VCS should not be used for the still to be released console formerly known as Ataribox.  That name belongs to the original Atari VCS later renamed/rebranded Atari 2600, and this new console should not try to steal the legacy of the original console, as this tarnishes the name of the original.  The previous name Ataribox for the console was a better suited name and unique name.  I have setup a poll to see what others think about the reuse of the Atari VCS name.

Edited by Tidus79001, Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:25 AM.

#2 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,652 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:44 AM

Aren't those questions asking the same thing?

#3 glazball OFFLINE  

glazball

Dragonstomper

• 517 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 AM

You should double-check your spelling before hitting Post ;)

My 2c - calling the Ataribox the Atari VCS is pure and utter bullshit.

#4 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 3,118 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 AM

EDITED

#5 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,098 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:02 AM

I think we should continue calling it "That Ataribox?".

#6 Tidus79001 OFFLINE  

Tidus79001

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 208 posts
  • I will not comply

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 AM

You should double-check your spelling before hitting Post ;)

My 2c - calling the Ataribox the Atari VCS is pure and utter bullshit.

I can't even make sense of the 2nd question

The name Atari VCS for the new console formely now at Ataribox appropriate

Huh?

Yeah, that was a bit of a mess on my part, lol. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have edited the second question on the poll so that it is properly worded for what I originally intended to ask.

#7 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,534 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 AM

I agree don't call it the VCS.   VCS 2 or anything along that line is fine

#8 Bryan OFFLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 10,926 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 AM

It's hard to answer these questions because so little is known. If it looked to be an awesome product, then I'd be happier about the retro branding. Right now this is like a wagon rolling into town selling bottles of Atari VCS cure-all elixir.

#9 Tidus79001 OFFLINE  

Tidus79001

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 208 posts
  • I will not comply

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:57 PM

I agree don't call it the VCS.   VCS 2 or anything along that line is fine

The name Atari VCS 2 would be fine. I think that calling itself the just the Atari VCS is going to get it some backlash, and possibly hurt its sales. I hope someone from the new Atari company will will take note of this discussion & poll, and decide to give the new console it's own name & identity before it launches, so that it can create a legacy of its own.

#10 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Cotton Headed

• 14,813 posts
  • Ninny Muggins

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 PM

Do a Google Image Search for "Atari VCS" and watch the new invasive species crowd out the old thing we all loved. Sucks. 

#11 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,098 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 PM

I think that calling itself the just the Atari VCS is going to get it some backlash, and possibly hurt its sales.

It's not the name that's going to hurt its sales.  It's the fact that, like the Coleco Chameleon, it is a solution with no known problem ... or a problem that exists only in someone's imagination.

#12 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,098 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 PM

Do a Google Image Search for "Atari VCS" and watch the new invasive species crowd out the old thing we all loved. Sucks.

They're Millenials.  That's just what they do.

#13 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,321 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 PM

This is a long shot but... let's say this thing actually gets produced and released, and is sold at a fair price. Or gets discounted to $50 at big lots, whatever.

Now... what if someone creates a USB cart slot and side loads an emulator? Suddenly it becomes a better version of the Retron 77?

That's a crap ton of IFs, but I had to take a break from stating the obvious that this looks as likely as Michael Moore winning a decathalon.

#14 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,679 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 PM

ATARI VCS is great, why not in 2018, totally awesome.

#15 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,652 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 PM

That was rather quick. It also demonstrates Google's bias toward anything new and popular whether it is correct or not. 

#16 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• 1,607 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 PM

I just did a quick search (so take that for what it's worth) but I don't believe "Atari VCS" was ever officially used back in the day. I was looking at CX2600 system manuals from before 1982 and they always spell out "Atari Video Computer System" and not "VCS". "VCS" looks to be an unofficial nick name of the original console. If that is the case them calling the new console "Atari VCS" technically isn't reusing an old name. Admittedly I could have missed something. Does anyone have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

#17 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

River Patroller

• 3,934 posts
  • Hater Brigader

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:45 PM

If they're going to call that a vcs, then I'll just have to call my vcs a 2600.

#18 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,098 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 PM

Does any have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

I remember seeing the terms "VCS" and "Atari VCS" used in magazines.  The other day, I was reading some ENTER Magazine game reviews from the 1983-1984 time frame which compared Centipede for the 2600 and 5200, and as I recall they used "Centipede for the VCS" to refer to the 2600 version.

#19 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,321 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:47 PM

I think the name Is a terrible idea, for all the reasons mentioned... but it's still the least of my objections to this project.

#20 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• 1,607 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:49 PM

I remember seeing the terms "VCS" and "Atari VCS" used in magazines.  The other day, I was reading some ENTER Magazine game reviews from the 1983-1984 time frame which compared Centipede for the 2600 and 5200, and as I recall they used "Centipede for the VCS" to refer to the 2600 version.

But Atari proper at the time never actually used the term "VCS" officially...Is that correct?

What you stated would still just be an unofficial nick name of a know product.

I have a feeling that Atari BITD never officially trademarked the term "VCS" or even used the term "VCS" in any true official capacity. Which would explain why current Atari feels comfortable using the name "ATARI VCS".

#21 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,534 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 PM

I just did a quick search (so take that for what it's worth) but I don't believe "Atari VCS" was ever officially used back in the day. I was looking at CX2600 system manuals from before 1982 and they always spell out "Atari Video Computer System" and not "VCS". "VCS" looks to be an unofficial nick name of the original console. If that is the case them calling the new console "Atari VCS" technically isn't reusing an old name. Admittedly I could have missed something. Does anyone have any official (public not internal) literature from back in the day the utilizes "Atari VCS"?

That's possible. I'm thought it was used in ads though? Because everyone called it VCS until Atari decided it was the 2600.

#22 GoldLeader OFFLINE  

GoldLeader

River Patroller

• 2,309 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:54 PM

I HIGHLY Object to those braindead chucklenuts calling their retroVCS an Atari VCS!

#23 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,652 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:55 PM

I feel sorry for all getting excited about the ataribox thing or whatever.

"Atari execs told us there's no longer a set price or a promised release date for the console -- because many of its key pieces, like its AMD processor and customized Linux operating system, are still coming together."

Back in the 1970's the real Atari spec'd out a design and wired up the RIOT + 6507 in like 2 days. Then they made the TIA, which took several months more. Today's atari can't gestate a fart in under a month. And then it whizzles out..

---

For those looking for a cool set-top box, just get a gaming NUC from intel or some other small formfactor PC. You'll be playing recent games on it. And state-of-the-art games if you get Hades Canyon - shipping in 3 weeks from now.

You'll get all the classic PC games. You get all the classic consoles. You'll be able to play every Atari 8-bit computer game, and every classic VCS game. And every arcade game.

Anyways.. to celebrate the new VCS name I'm going to inject a wet & meaty gaseous expulsion into the couch cushion. If they hurry up and ship it it might still be there!!

#24 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 9,098 posts

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 PM

But Atari proper at the time never actually used the term "VCS" officially...Is that correct?

What you stated would still just be an unofficial nick name of a know product.

I have a feeling that Atari BITD never officially trademarked the term "VCS" or even used the term "VCS" in any true official capacity. Which would explain why current Atari feels comfortable using the name "ATARI VCS".

You'll also see the term "VCS" used in technical documentation, like the 2600 Field Service Manual:

http://www.robotsand...ari2600_fsm.pdf

(This might be considered "internal," although it was distributed and used outside the company.  It also indicates that Atari did indeed trademark "Video Computer System," for which "VCS" is just an abbreviation.)

#25 Lord Innit OFFLINE  

Lord Innit

Moonsweeper

• 318 posts
  • Cleaning up Liberty City.

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 PM

Here you go. No trademark on the "VCS" though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180323_210043.jpg
  • 20180323_210108.jpg

Edited by Lord Innit, Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users