homebrew livestream 2600 live twitch wip youtube

87 replies to this topic

#76 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 328 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:52 PM

Thanks so much iesposta, and thanks for providing the inspiration via your post in the forums.

It is definitely interesting that the 2600 port had such an impact that the name of the enemies in the game changed. I guess it makes sense when you compare the 350,000 cabinets sold to the 7,000,000 Atari 2600 carts that sold, that's a huge number!

Great Pac-Man show!

Funny how the terrible Atari Pac-Man changed millions of minds that the Monsters were ghosts.

I believe it is because “a ghost is transparent and invisible sometimes” describes what is in Atari’s version!

Boo! Scared you!

#77 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,693 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:01 PM

I know they were called monsters originally. But to me they look like stereotyped ghosts. Even without flicker.

hand-drawn-halloween-ghosts_23-214769191

istock-167483979%20jpg.jpg?v=1&mw=700&mh

31-ghosts-boo.w700.h467.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

#78 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Quadrunner

• 5,009 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:26 PM

Indeed. One of them even rips his sheet on a nail, during an intermission. The 1981 pac man flyer actually refers to them both as "ghost monsters" and "monsters".

BITD we called them ghosts, well before the 2600 release. Seemed kinda obvious, but I guess we were ahead of the curve.

#79 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,642 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:52 PM

I always referred to them as Ghost Monsters as well. 

Midway, agreed...

At least per their official flyer, © 1980, when identifying them on the screen and in the introductory paragraph:

Ghost_Monsters_Official_Pac-Man_MIdway.jpg

That well precedes the cartoon and Atari's port(s).

I like how they refer to what we commonly call intermissions in the game as "cartoon shows" and (a group of) maze boards are "racks".

#80 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,855 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:11 PM

You needed to be good enough to put the 2nd intermission with the rip and glance at the pink foot, with the 3rd intermission of that pink monster glob with eyes carrying his ghost costume!

But I agree also with others about calling them ghosts. “Ghost” is what they’re wearing. 

I even Google Translated the Japanese Puck-Man (which the TWITCH Chat flagged as possibly offensive language needing moderator review) and the Japanese arcade glass also says monster. 

797F390A-3A0A-47C2-9108-C118EA7121F9.jpeg

If you wish to argue:

C589E776-1C7A-4656-8A93-EB0FF2F33DB2.jpeg

#81 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Quadrunner

• 5,009 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:38 PM

Not really sure why you're assuming people will be arguing, and need to be preemptively told to calm down. Do Thomas, Trebor, or I have a history of flying off at the handle at anyone?

Yes, your bezel says monsutā. Monster is the broader category, of which a ghost is a member. They aren't exclusionary. Namco used the anglicized word for monster, but native words that are translated as "monster" (e.g. "yōkai") are routinely used to refer to ghosts, demons, goblins, etc.

So you didn't think they looked at all like ghosts, until the 2600 game came out and put the idea in your head? Honestly, I think the story is mostly apocryphal.

#82 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,855 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:40 AM

Not really sure why you're assuming people will be arguing...

You took my post completely wrong.
Sorry for any confusion! No disrespect was intended.
RevEng, we have worked together on my games, I was never argumentative.

I just stated information that the 2nd and 3rd Pac-Man game intermissions show the player that the enemy is wearing a costume. Many never having played the arcade to Intermission 3 may not know that.
On the Twitch Stream show we covered younger people may not know the arcade enemy A.I. behaviors were different between enemies, and one fact adding to Pac-Man’s popularity was a 1980 arcade game in color, when many 1979 popular games were still black and white, despite consumer color televisions in the 50’s 60’s & 70’s.

I then agree that the description “ghost” is okay.

I shared a picture I made long ago because it goes with the English arcade picture I posted previously (which was humorous and informative).
I shared something funny about the Twitch show where the chat software flagged the word Puck, (about the designers needing to change that word for English)...

I thought the part about arguing would be taken as funny because “words in a box” are usually humorous on the Internet.

Edited by iesposta, Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:45 AM.

#83 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 23,693 posts

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:43 AM

I just stated information that the 2nd and 3rd Pac-Man game intermissions show the player that the enemy is wearing a costume.

I suppose you mean these (@0:13 and following):

IMO just a comedy effect, which shouldn't be overly interpreted.

#84 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Quadrunner

• 5,009 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:51 AM

You took my post completely wrong.
Sorry for any confusion! No disrespect was intended.[...]

Ok, no worries. I understand now that you meant the "calm down" bit to apply to the "puck" commentary, rather than the overall post. It did seem out of left-field.

#85 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 23,693 posts

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:59 AM

@James: Any chance for earlier shows like we had them before? It is much more fun to watch live and participate. :)

#86 Dionoid OFFLINE  

Dionoid

Chopper Commander

• 108 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:50 AM

@James: Any chance for earlier shows like we had them before? It is much more fun to watch live and participate. :)

+1 for earlier shows now and then. I do watch the recordings on youtube, but nothing beats watching in real time and adding something to the discussion.

Of course I realize that there is a big time difference with Europe (9 hours between PST and CET)

#87 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 328 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:02 PM

Heya Thomas and Dionoid! We're definitely going to try for earlier shows every time we can. We usually have every second Friday be an early show with Darcy but he's been busy this month. Aerlan's schedule will be changing in the new year so I'll try to work with that to make our Wednesday day show an early one because I know we have a lot of viewers in Europe that aren't able to see our later shows. Stay tuned!! :-)

@James: Any chance for earlier shows like we had them before? It is much more fun to watch live and participate. icon_smile.gif

+1 for earlier shows now and then. I do watch the recordings on youtube, but nothing beats watching in real time and adding something to the discussion.

Of course I realize that there is a big time difference with Europe (9 hours between PST and CET)

#88 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 328 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:58 PM

Great news! This coming Wednesday's show will be at 11AM PT/2PM ET! Hope to see you there!

Edited by cimmerian, Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homebrew, livestream, 2600, live, twitch, wip, youtube

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users