Photo

IRATA.ONLINE - a PLATO community for Retro-computing fans!

28 replies to this topic

#26 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 10:46 PM

Perhaps youtube is not the best place for this kind of stuff. I would concentrate on forums/blogs such as these and other net places where olden computer enthusiasts gather and get their news from. There are still enthusiasts of TRS-80 for example  Maybe it's also worth contacting outlets such as RetroGamer - if you haven't already. 

I'm not a big fan of reddit in general but it did help with some of my obscure projects. The exposure is huge, problem is it's only for one hot minute, especially if the hivemind there doesn't like it for some reason.

#27 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 167 posts

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 12:17 AM

Honestly, I'm just pissed, because this seems to be the immediate impression with everybody who would actually be able to promote the system. Even with explanation, they don't understand the gap that's being filled.

-Thom

Like most popular things, these channels on youtube are going for the least common denominator when it comes to viewers. The kind of viewers who think that the late 70's/early 80's consisted of nothing much more than Old Computers, Arcades, Atari, Star Wars and Back To The Future... rinse and repeat. As I remember it, being a nerd back then  actually made you a social pariah and subject to verbal and even physical abuse. The movie Revenge of The Nerds was not that far off in that regard. Now its trendy to be into technology, I suspect the only reason is because there is so much money in the I.T. field these days and more opportunities for simpletons to make a buck. Now you have the popularity of playing "pretend geek". But IMHO that river does not run very deep.  Most viewers of these type of channels would not give a damn about PLATO service and its history. I might be exaggerating a bit but anything even slightly esoteric is going to be a hard sell. You might have accept that your service is not going to be very popular. If you enjoy running it, which I think you do, then it should not matter that much. Best of luck.

Edited by polyex, Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 AM.

• jhd likes this

#28 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Quadrunner

• 5,109 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 PM

Thom, are you doing your own YouTube channel?  If these "popular" channels will not give you "air time," then perhaps doing it on your own, or with the help of those in on the project, will bring in interest on its own.

#29 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,317 posts

Posted Mon May 21, 2018 9:59 AM

VCF East was a success. There were approximately 50 people or so in the room, and it was video'd, so I am waiting for it to magically pop up onto youtube.

I managed to squeeze about 2 hours of content down into 1 hour, without rushing or cutting off, which, surprised the hell out of me.

Very enthusiastic response; people really liked it, and I stayed for the weekend to show it off at a table. I was not expecting to do this, so Thanks to Evan and the VCFe staff for that. :)

-Thom

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users