IGNORED

F18A Upgrade, your thoughts?

jonecool

He's reached the number.. but he is wrapped up in work/life..so patience and he will get to them when he can. We all have commitments outside of the TI community.

Greg

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Oh, wait... I had to take a break this weekend, too. BAD BEAR!

• Like 2

I left a comment saying I wanted one then another saying I wanted two. I'm hoping Matthew's comment above means he's actively building some! That would be very exciting!

The next batch is being worked on and there will generally be enough for anyone who wants one. This round has taken longer, mostly because there was a long period between when I ran out of the last batch and when there started to be demand again. Part availability changes too, as well as end-of-life on some parts complicate things. After all, it has been 6-years since the first F18A release in July 2012 and things in the industry change.

If you have contacted me then I put your name on an email list that I will notify when the boards a ready. I will also announce here in the forum. I only use the contact list to get a general sense of the demand, and at this point it does not represent any kind of commitment on your part. Unfortunately one run of boards does not make enough to pay for the next run of boards, so I will always have period when I'm out of stock.

I've done that -- Put my name on the list for 2. I do have one already, but I damaged it working on the system it was in. I need to have him repair the damaged one as well. (So hopefully, I'll end up with 3 working ones)

Probably should have stated that I made a request in my earlier post. Sorry about that!

I have a repair service available on my web-store that you can use right now. It is a flat-rate + shipping.

• Like 3

The next batch is being worked on and there will generally be enough for anyone who wants one. This round has taken longer, mostly because there was a long period between when I ran out of the last batch and when there started to be demand again. Part availability changes too, as well as end-of-life on some parts complicate things. After all, it has been 6-years since the first F18A release in July 2012 and things in the industry change.

If you have contacted me then I put your name on an email list that I will notify when the boards a ready. I will also announce here in the forum. I only use the contact list to get a general sense of the demand, and at this point it does not represent any kind of commitment on your part. Unfortunately one run of boards does not make enough to pay for the next run of boards, so I will always have period when I'm out of stock.

I have a repair service available on my web-store that you can use right now. It is a flat-rate + shipping.

Thanks Matt lmk if you need any assistance

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

If you fancy one, and can afford it, then buy one.

ti-99's pretty common right now, get a few and upgrade a few.

spares are useful. Unless you live in shoebox.

That'd be me with the shoebox…

/Shakespeare Mode On

To mod or not to mod, with the F18A, is that even a question?

The answer is: To mod, to mod, post haste!

There's one caution for a developer… As PeteE discovered working on Legend of Tilda on it, the OG VDP has limitations the F18A does not. If you intend F18A mode to be optional in your developments, you probably want to test on OG hardware just to be sure you don't run into any VDP limitations.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is much chance of bricking a TI-99/4A with one. It really is as simple as you describe -- Just replace a chip and you're good to go. The only real chance you have of messing something up is cutting up the case for the VGA connector. A Dremel or other good rotary tool should work well though.

As far as getting one, I'm looking to purchase some more myself, but they apparently aren't available until there are enough people signed up for the new batch. So, I'd recommend making your interest known: http://codehackcreate.com/store#!/F18A-V1-5-Video-Board/p/14022176/category=0

They're always out of stock when I visit this sight... Is there anywhere else they sell these boards??? I'd like to get my hands on one.

Once again: the developer is working on a new batch. His name on here is matthew180 and he is a regular contributor. Please send him a PM if you have specific questions, as he is here, available, and currently taking orders.

About 5 posts above yours, he said he is working on the next batch. :)

It's a neat piece of gear... hope you're happy with it when you get it.

I'll do so but I bet the posts continue

Would it help to put a statement in the FAQ section of the pinned resource thread? Seems the question comes up a lot even with the link to Matt's site, and maybe it would help people realize things are being worked on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I'm curious but I don't know much about the TI innards. If the F18a video upgrade were ever made to accept HEX color values instead of the set 15 or 16 colors would it be possible to change the TI color commands to take use the additional HEX variables and give us the whole range of colors? Would this negativity effect the speed with with memory and CPU constraints??

Edited by LanceLHall

The F18A does make it possible to modify the palette, though I'm not aware of this feature of the F18A being packaged as a subroutine for use in XB. 

For example, in the video here various images are being displayed on real iron w/ F18A using Slideshow99. 

Note that they obey all constraints associated with 9918A bitmap graphics (and the characteristic attribute clash is evident), but the palette has been modified to suit each specific imagine in question:

The TI-99 Mario Bros demo is an example of another program which exploits this. 

image.png.9752598012d836a603776358b64853f5.png

I'm not sure what Super Mario Bros would look like in the 9918A palette.  But it'd be pretty weird, with no browns.

• Like 1