Photo

Alien Attack (4K) Final Cartridge Version

10 replies to this topic

#1 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• 144 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 PM

Final version with a bug removed posted at end of thread .

A small run of carts will be available from Good Deal Games Homebrew Heaven !
It will be available at Midwest Gaming Classic in April, and then for sale on their website afterwards.
I do hope that some folks will want to purchase one even though I have made the ROM available.   

Final improvements as follows:

Default option is multiple shooter ( P0 diff B) with more challenging option of single shooter .  I also lightened the enemy colors so that they are easier to see on CRT TV.

The final boss ship shoots two lasers as the other 2 shoot only 1.

The shield now drains 5 power units and cannot be activated if there are fewer than 5 time units remaning.

The outside batteries are larger and are hit more often.

AAlabel.png

AAmother.png

AA.png

Attached Files

Edited by easmith, Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 AM.

#2 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,647 posts

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 PM

That is cool.  I'd love to get a cart. 

#3 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,446 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 PM

Me too.

#4 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,361 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 PM

I haven't really noticed freely available ROMs having much impact on cart sales.  People who want carts of great games are going to get them.  For me, emulation just isn't the same as playing on the real hardware.

#5 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,647 posts

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:56 PM

I haven't really noticed freely available ROMs having much impact on cart sales.  People who want carts of great games are going to get them.  For me, emulation just isn't the same as playing on the real hardware.

Totally agree with this. 

#6 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,446 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 PM

Totally agree with this.

Hasnt stopped me. My 2600 homebrew collection is nearing 100 carts.

#7 Pixel Toad OFFLINE  

Pixel Toad

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2018 10:08 AM

Pretty nice work

#8 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:14 PM

After final testing , playing many times, I caught a bug .  The bug is now fixed in the attached ROM.

The bug is hard to catch I suppose (no one on AA has told me they noticed it yet), but once noticed it is somewhat  important.   I assume it is in the version posted above, but I have gone through so many versions it is hard to keep track.  Lesson learned :  proper version control!.

Bug  was caused by 3 stray lines of code from a half -started idea which I forgot to delete, and it only manifested itself in one particular location on the screen.  But anyway it is fixed now .   The  version below is the cartridge version that will be sold at  http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html              ,starting next week  I believe.    There will be about 10 available at the Midwest Gaming Classic I hope ( due to the late timing  of finishing it), and I think they are doing 50 total .  

Game Instructions are in original post above. 

IMG_0415.jpg .

Anyway , I hope a few people  can enjoy it and keep me from having to buy them all myself so that is say "sold out"!    Again super thanks  for so much help and support, and to resources like SpiceWare's Collect tutorial , Random Terrain , etc.   

ES

Attached Files

Edited by easmith, Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:04 PM.

#9 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:13 AM

Cart is now available !

http://www.gooddealg...Atari 2600.html

#10 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 144 posts

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 AM

I guess no one has noticed it, but in the bugged version, if the cannon is in the middle of the screen , or perhaps just to the right of center, the collisions with the enemy missile do not register, so that the cannon is invincible in that position.    Hard to catch ( it took me a long time) since when playing you try to avoid the missiles!  But in the Boss levels it can be an advantage.   This was fixed in the "bugfixed" version that at the  bottom of  the  thread and in the version posted in the Homebrew Discussion  forum.    

#11 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Stargunner

• 1,171 posts
  • videogamestores.net

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:46 PM

I guess no one has noticed it, but in the bugged version, if the cannon is in the middle of the screen , or perhaps just to the right of center, the collisions with the enemy missile do not register, so that the cannon is invincible in that position.    Hard to catch ( it took me a long time) since when playing you try to avoid the missiles!  But in the Boss levels it can be an advantage.   This was fixed in the "bugfixed" version that at the  bottom of  the  thread and in the version posted in the Homebrew Discussion  forum.    

I never noticed that. I probably thought I was missing the missiles while in that position.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users