IGNORED

OUYA owner

Is it even possible to get past the setup screen now on a new unit? When I owned one when it was still on the market, it basically forced me to make an account and purchase some funds before I could even access the main dashboard/GUI. I am curious to know what your experiences are with that when you fire it up for the first time.

You can root the unit (it uses Android), but I am not sure how that is done. When I had it I mainly grabbed some of the free titles and emulators off the main Ouya store and that was about it. It may be possible to bypass the initial setup screen, but I haven't looked into it.

It's still usable as I use mine from time to time. I don't keep it out as I have a little one who would love to play with this cube. I have to keep it in a place close to the TV to pick up the WiFi signal.

Go to Ouya's sign in page and click on "sign up". You will be taken to Razor's page (the company that bought Ouya) and it looks like it's accepting users.

Whether or not it will work with Ouya...that I don't know but I don't see why not. The one thing I think you must have is a credit card number set up, but it's been a while.

Dang...I gotta bust that little cube out sometime.

Interesting, so it might not even do anything because of that. I might dabble with it during the Easter period, or maybe I don't, it looks nice with all the tape secured still on the items.

So they didn't think of an aftermarket?

Since it's an android device, it would not surprise me if there's a custom rom available to bypass all that.

• Like 1

Interesting, so it might not even do anything because of that. I might dabble with it during the Easter period, or maybe I don't, it looks nice with all the tape secured still on the items.

So they didn't think of an aftermarket?

I think originally they didn't think they'd sell the company off. I mean, it was one of the earliest darling Kickstarters with what, something like $8 million?

The biggest problem next to logging on would be when the servers get shut off. All the games that need to phone home to work will revert to demo mode.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I had a game night for my kids. My Ouya was still hooked up from when I last played it. It was nicely tucked away behind the TV away from little fingers. I sifted through what I downloaded to find a four player game and landed on "Bomb Squad". I never played it but after a few moments of watching the video the kids wanted to play it.

And played it they did. Four little characters they could customize went out to try and punch, blow up or knock each other off the platform the were on. There are "epic" modes as well where everything is in slow motion, including the music! It was rather hilarious watching my kids try to waste each other's character to a slow rendition if Flight of the Valkrie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really wanted to get one back in the day, but I didn't. I guess that was the right call since the the quality isn't great and there aren't that many great games for it. Also, isn't the controller terrible? Maybe one day it'll worth something, but I highly doubt it taking into account that the build quality isn't great and that the manufacturer isn't a company like SEGA, Microsoft or Nintendo.