IGNORED

TOS FAT 16 filesystem improving progress

http://atari.8bitchip.info/tos105.html

I'm thinking about selling programmed TOS chips with this. Preferable is quad TOS in 29F004 or similar chips (4 Mbits, so 512KB per chip), so can have 4 different TOS versions switchable.
There is need for more work on supporting SW - partitioner, driver. And I have some ideas how to use (extra) free space in ROMs. But that will take some time for sure .. This is already usable in any case for those with some experience in partitioning.

• Like 1

After reading the information on your link, I wondering how a 4 TOS ROM would be something I could use. The larger partitions are the obvious advantage but I don't exactly see how that correlates to the switchable TOS versions. Can you clarify?

Additionally, what does this mean for particular machines. I have an original 520ST and a Falcon. Where could this 4 ways TOS be used?

Improved filesystem has nothing with 4 switchable TOS in machine. It is just that if you change TOS ROM, it is good to make little more. Situation with available EPROM chips is that larger capacity is easier to find, and is not much more expensive.

If you read it carefully, you may see that never says that all 4 improved FAT16 versions are good for 1 machine type. I have in my Mega STE original TOS 2.06, TOS 1.56, 1.63, 1.66 . But 1.56 has not sense when you have 1.66 - it is there in my case mostly for testing. In some ST you can use original 1.04, 1.05 and maybe some older, like 1.02 for games. And of course some variant of 2.06, what will need little extra logic.

Number of 4 TOS versions is by me most reasonable. Of course, you may put there something else, like KAOS TOS or whatever, what works on that HW .

There are no plans by me to make this update for Falcon. On page stays on what can work.

"If you read it carefully, you may see that never says that all 4 improved FAT16 versions are good for 1 machine type"

Yep, did try to extract as much info as possible before posting but as you are probably aware, there is a bit of lost-in-translation going on so I felt a need to get a bit more clarification. I also do see where you talk about the TOS version and what machine it's for. Ideally, a table where machine is on the left and TOS version on a right, containing check cells for compatibility/incompatibility might make it more clear.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong but for my original ST, I could have 1.00, 1.02, 1.04, and 1.05. Seems that having 1.04 would only be useful if I find an incompatibility in 1.05, since 1.05 looks like an update to 1.04. is that correct?

Well, 4 TOS versions are not mandatory. That's just what I see as good choice. Your selection is OK. And yes, there may be SW what will not like modded TOS 1.04 (1.05) from some reason.

One thing more. Since this must go in 32-pin chips - no way to find or to program 28-pin ROMs, will need some raiser board to fit in 28-pin sockets of ST. And then it can handle TOS .2.06 , what is much better idea than 1.00 . Simplest is with STE , in ST user may need to resolder jumpers for TOS chip setting - in other words simple chip replacement is not enough. And in some older there is no logic chip (74LS11) what makes possible 2 chip TOS, so that should be on raiser boards too .

So, TOS 2.06 will work in an original 520st with some modifications? Are the advantages significant over something like 1.04/1.05? Is it worth the effort of the modification?
My 520 is boxed up for now but as soon as I complete my Gotek drive upgrade, I might try to break it out. Of course, the Falcon is a much better daily options but that's also in pieces as I perform upgrades. Still, TOS 1.00 sucks and I've always planned on upgrading it. You're project made me consider a more flexable option.

TOS 1.0, 1.4, 1.5 and 2.07 would be good! ;)

You have 1.56, what is TOS 1.05 GEMDOS part + 2.06 Desktop, so best parts from both combined. No need for 2.07, especially not on ST.

Working on new driver. There will be new option for virtual floppy A - by assigning some hard disk partition as A drive. It can be used with machines without floppy, for testing/running some SW what normally runs only from A .

post-31554-0-92211600-1522685869.jpg

post-31554-0-67555900-1522685896.jpg