1050 Memory Expansion

111 replies to this topic

#101 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Dragonstomper

• 745 posts

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2018 7:04 PM

Hey,

Received my 512k ram upgrade today. Well, it's been sitting in the post office since 30/05 because the original delivery card never made it to me... I liked the packaging though I'm not sure what the aluminium foil wrapped block of foam is for :-)

In any case I should try to take the time this weekend to install it.

Thanks again!

#102 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:05 AM

Hmm, when there´s a trace damaged or broken the issues should happen immediately. When there´s bad RAM after 10-30 seconds, but the DRAM chips theirself work fine, any part of the DRAM timing circuit must be defect. Both address decoder 74LS158, the 74LS375 and 74LS51 would be the first parts I would keep an eye to it.

Happy to report after fighting with this problem for the last month, and being a little depressed about it (i see from the last post date ), i finally figured out the problem... leftover flux residue! Seems the Atari is sensitive enough to the tiny conductivity to make a difference. Cleaned that up thoroughly with IPA and MG Safety wash with qtip/toothbrush, and I've had the machine running demos reliably for a couple hours now. Phew!

I actually socketed the POKEY and installed the Stereo Upgrade from scratch on a 2nd stock 800XL too, and it worked for an hour or so before it started crapping out too. Then I thought that it might be the power supply, was outputting  5.2V under load maybe causing excess stress/heat on chips.. good that wasn't the issue...

Anyhow, both machines back to stock, all good now. Got as far as installing stereo upgrade again with just A4 and SR connected, Yoomp! and Bad Apple correctly detecting STEREO and listening to a few demos in 8 channel mono for now. this weekend I'll hopefully have more time to finish wiring the full stereo out!

#103 NISMOPC OFFLINE  

NISMOPC

Moonsweeper

• 398 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 PM

UPDATE:

Removed RF Modulator, installed the 512K expansion board and the Best Electronics DIN composite kit on my 600XL.

Still testing it out, need to drill DIN out hole on case and re-assemble, but it all came together...

Thread on small issue with the video mod kit:

http://atariage.com/...tall/?p=4048469

0613182150.jpg

#104 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:48 AM

After power on, the 512 KB "RAMBO" mode is active. This mode should fit all your needs in 99% of all use cases. For some rare programs you can switch to 256 KB Compy-Shop mode (with seperated ANTIC and CPU access) or switch the whole expansion off. These setting remains active until you power off the computer, a coldstart without power cycling won´t change the setting anyway.

I just noticed this. How does one change the mode from the default 512KB "RAMBO" mode? Is there a utility program?

#105 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 718 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 AM

I just noticed this. How does one change the mode from the default 512KB "RAMBO" mode? Is there a utility program?

Yes. Must update the manual...

In the attached ATR file are three little binary files: MOFF.COM to disable memory expansion, M512 to enable 512 KB RAMBO mode (default) and M256 to enable 256 KB Compy-Shop mode (with seperated ANTIC amd CPU access like 130 XE).

Attached Files

#106 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:28 PM

Very nice, will try - thanks!

Love discovering new features I didn't know about before haha. Now maybe I don't need to pull out a stock 130XE machine to try the omniview 80 column AtariWriter that uses antic bank switching.

Edited by Nezgar, Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 PM.

#107 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:35 AM

I seem to come across a minor hardware incompatibility between the 512 KB SRAM memory expansion and the stock Atari Self Test Memory Test. I noticed at the end of the Stock Atari Self-Test Memory Test, right after the 48th block is done and normally it restarts checking the 2 ROM bars, then again the 48 RAM blocks, the screen glitches out. Since this machine also has the APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1, and the tfhh Stereo Pokey, and is otherwise stable at this point.

- Swapping 512K expansion board with a 2nd one, problem is same.
- With the 512K expansion board removed, replacing just ANTIC in the socket, problem goes away.
- I removed APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1 and replaced with stock XL OS ROM, problem goes away. (Not sure what rev)

Then with the 31-in-1 back in place, I found that the problem only presents when selecting XL/XE OS Rev C & D, but not A & B.

- Using MOFF.COM utility from SRAM_Memory_Management_Mode_Change.atr fixes the problem for XL/XE OS Rev C & D
- Using M256.COM utility from SRAM_Memory_Management_Mode_Change.atr results in blank screen instead of garbage.

Pretty minor problem that doesn't affect regular use... but may be interesting to know if there's some Port B activity going on at the end of the memory test only in the later XL/XE OS.

I have not tried XL/XE OS Rev C or D without the 32-in-one yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• garble.jpg

#108 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 718 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:07 AM

- With the 512K expansion board removed, replacing just ANTIC in the socket, problem goes away.
- I removed APE Warp+ OS 32-in-1 and replaced with stock XL OS ROM, problem goes away. (Not sure what rev)

Then with the 31-in-1 back in place, I found that the problem only presents when selecting XL/XE OS Rev C & D, but not A & B.

- Using MOFF.COM utility from SRAM_Memory_Management_Mode_Change.atr fixes the problem for XL/XE OS Rev C & D
- Using M256.COM utility from SRAM_Memory_Management_Mode_Change.atr results in blank screen instead of garbage.

Pretty minor problem that doesn't affect regular use... but may be interesting to know if there's some Port B activity going on at the end of the memory test only in the later XL/XE OS.

This results in the fact, that the last both XL OS revisions can test the additional XE memory of 64 KByte banked RAM. When you´ve had an 130 XE, four long rectactles appear over the 48 blocks indicated 16 KB of extra memory each. But the routine in the Selftest only works with the 130 XE banked ram (different access between CPU and ANTIC etc.).

This behavior happens with other expansions, too. But in fact that Rev.2 is the most compatible XL/XE OS version for "all day life", I think it´s an acceptable "fault" :)

#109 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:16 AM

Makes sense, thanks for confirming. I guess I've just never seen it before, and even my old 320K 130XE must have Rev B then.

#110 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,750 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:25 PM

Hello Jürgen

This results in the fact, that the last both XL OS revisions can test the additional XE memory of 64 KByte banked RAM. 

They are supposed to test bits 2 and 3 of $D301, but due to a bug, bits 1 and 2 are tested.

Sincerely

Mathy

#111 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,853 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:57 AM

Makes sense, thanks for confirming. I guess I've just never seen it before, and even my old 320K 130XE must have Rev B then.

AFAIK only the 400/800 OSs were referred to by letters, A or B. Versions 1,2,3 were for the XL/XE, Version 4 for the XEGS, and Version 10,11 for the 1200XL.

#112 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,256 posts

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2018 7:10 AM

AFAIK only the 400/800 OSs were referred to by letters, A or B. Versions 1,2,3 were for the XL/XE, Version 4 for the XEGS, and Version 10,11 for the 1200XL.

You're right - I was being misled because they are named by letters in the APE 32-in-1 OS selector menu...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1050, Memory Expansion

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users