IGNORED

WTD: Thoughts on Rider of the Night, Cuttle Cart 2, & The Journey of Snail

Dauber

'm looking for feedback for future episodes of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78)

What are your thoughts on...

...Panda Racer (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241208-my-yech-racing-demo/?do=findComment&comment=3398794) and Rider of the Night (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249131-rider-of-the-night/page-2#entry3484126)? These games will be covered on Episode 33. Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, April 4. Mind you, I will take feedback *after* that as well, but if you want to be sure that it will be addressed in episode 33, I'll need it by Wednesday night.

...Cuttle Cart 2? Deadline for feedback is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, April 18.

...The Journey of Snail? Deadline for feedback is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, May 2.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Comments are welcome any time, including after the deadlines; any feedback from after the deadlines will simply be addressed during a later episode.

• Like 1

I've had the Cuttle Cart 2 since it came out. It was a pretty ingenious hardware project and it really gave the 7800 a second life for me, opening up all the games, prototypes, demos, homebrews, and hacks for the system to be played on real hardware. Well thought out interface too.

My only disappointment was that Chad ultimately abandoned support for it. Not sure whether it's by choice or not, but as new bankswitch schemes started being used, it wouldn't work well (or at all) with the games that used them.

But as far as I'm concerned, it's paid off its value many times over.

Rider of the Night, I've only played a little. Very innovative ideas come out of that developer. I really think his games would go to the next level if he collaborated with an artist that specialized in squeezing the best look out of MARIA. Would make the games so much more engaging. They have considerable promise as it is

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Journey of Snail now. As was mentioned on here, it is a novel on a cart, but it does have a spot or two where you can choose how the story unfolds.

It should be noted there is foul language and sexual themes in the story for those of you who don't like that sort of thing.

CC2 is still the best option (IMO) for multicart use on the 7800.

JOTS is an ebook. The story isn't my cup of tea but some like it.

Rider of the Night had promise at the start but the final product was pretty disappointing.

I just can't get over how short the horizon is while driving and the graphics are nothing short of horrible.

Still love my CC2.

Still working great.

As far as I know (I haven't tested everything; especially homebrews) the only games that I found that didn't work are Pitfall II for the 2600 (custom music chip) and Bentley Bear Pokey version (no banking file for that memory size AND Pokey).

As mentioned, the menu system (especially with the updated multi-level menus) works great.

Yes, you have to edit a text file and run a program to create/update the menus, but I don't have any issues with that.

Yes, you have to figure out which banking file to use with which game, but it's not that difficult and other owners have been great at sharing their menu files!

I also love having the game documentation right on the system.

I think I read (or imagined) that Chad lost all the programming information on the system, so unless someone gets really creative, I don't think we'll get any new banking files.

That's a shame, but still a great Multicart!

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...