IGNORED

Top Games You'd Like to Have for Atari 8-Bits

MrFish

Thank you Mr. Fish for starting this thread and asking the question. :thumbsup:

I would really like to see all or any of the titles below made into A8 games; I have enjoyed playing all of the titles below and would love to play these games on Atari 8 bit.

Though they're all really fun and good games, I'd rank them as follows:

#01) Turrican

#02) Lunar Lander

#03) Prince of Persia

#04) Dungeon Master

#05) Red Baron

#06) Cloak & Dagger

#07) Major Havoc

#08) Omega Race

#09) Black Widow

#10) Gravitar

#11) Wizardry

#12) The Bard’s Tale
#13) Stellar 7

#01) Turrican (C64)

There was also Turrican II/Universal Soldier (SNES) and Super Turrican (SNES).

A8 could use a badass side scrolling shooter/platformer where cool power-ups help drive the game forward and allow for taking down bosses/sub bosses: so it'd be cool if there were cool power ups and bosses and sub bosses in a side scrolling A8 shooter/platformer. :)

The platforming elements in Turrican definitely take a back seat to the shooter elements but there are still moments where simple platforming type jumps/climbing/moves are required.

There are quite a few side scrolling shooter games and quite a few side scrolling platformer games for A8, but I cannot think of any side scrolling shooter/platformers for A8, not anything as high powered and amped up as Turrican anyway.

Edit/addition:

At the moment, although it is not side scrolling, only the A8 prototype of Commando comes close to the type of action game I'm expressing an interest in here.

#08) Omega Race (Midway arcade)
#06) Cloak & Dagger (Atari arcade)
#05) Red Baron (Atari arcade)
#09) Black Widow (Atari arcade)
#10) Gravitar (Atari arcade)
#07) Major Havoc (Atari arcade)
#02) Lunar Lander (Atari arcade)
All of these are good or great arcade games and none have been done or done particularly well on A8; I believe they could all be made into A8 games without compromising too much from the arcade originals.
Omega Race, Red Baron and Lunar Lander arcade all had vector graphics. None of these titles would seem to be a stretch for A8 hardware but maybe vector graphics or vector-like graphics are hard to program on A8. I do not know. I am aware of the A8 Red Baron game but it bears little resemblance other than being a WWI biplane dog fight game: graphics and physics are very different (although different controls and 3D-like graphics Lynx Red Baron would be much closer to Red Baron arcade than the existing A8 Red Baron game by Seebree's).
Black Widow, Gravitar and Major Havoc would likely have to undergo some graphic changes/adjustments but I would think that the gameplay for these should be possible on A8.
I mean no disrespect to the A8 programmers who have tried to make Lunar Lander games, but there still is not a good vector or vector-like Lunar Lander for A8. And aside from the cool graphics, Lunar Lander arcade was a great game due to its controls (with thrust having same/similar "weight" as thrust control in Asteroids arcade). For whatever reasons, there's never been a good port/representation of LL on A8.
#11) Wizardry (Apple II)
#12) The Bard’s Tale (Apple II)
Others have mentioned these but they'd be really fun to play on Atari 8 bit.
#13) Stellar 7 (Apple II/C64)
A fun update to Battlezone but with more speed, more varied enemies and more firepower.
#03) Prince of Persia (Apple II)
#04) Dungeon Master (Atari ST)
I have seen the AtariAge threads indicating that A8 versions of these titles have been worked on; it would be great to see these games completed someday as they're both classics/important games in terms of impacting their respective genres and it would be good to have A8 versions of them (if that is possible).
Edit/addition:
Just a wish list here; not sure what is really within the scope of possibilities for good, high quality translations to A8 but these titles seemed reasonably possible! :grin:
Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 1

#06) Cloak & Dagger

There is this proto of the game from back in the day.

The author had started working on it again in recent

years, with the intent of finishing it. But, as often

happens when people have no time or lose interest,

no progress was ever seen.

Cloak & Dagger.atr

post-6369-0-46019900-1522630147.png post-6369-0-30914200-1522630152.png

#11) Wizardry

There was a version being worked on by AA member dwhyte:

Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

He abandoned it for personal reasons.

The source code (in Pascal) to a version on some other

8-bit platform was released. So, porting might be possible --

especially now that we have Mad Pascal at our disposal.

#01) Turrican

Turrican has been talked about quite a bit over the years.

I always liked how this proof of concept, sprite demo for

Turrican on the 8-bits looks and sounds. There is at least

one other graphical test/demo shown somewhere on

YouTube; but there are yet to be any serious attempts

at making the game for the A8.

Turrican PAL.xex

post-6369-0-11278100-1522630157.png

• Like 2

Thank you for the info, link and downloads MrFish. :thumbsup:

I will check out the Cloak & Dagger prototype and Turrican PAL demo; thank you for sharing these.

I read something, somewhere at some point ;) about Atari working on an A8 Cloak & Dagger prototype but I had no idea Turrican has/had been considered as a possible port to A8.

I would like only to contribute to the thread by posting .rom files for two A8 prototypes that serve as examples of ideas from my first post.

Atari's Commando

I mentioned it before, it's fairly complete and even quite challenging :grin:

even incomplete/unreleased, this demonstrates what sort of action/shooter games are possible on A8 (whether side scrolling or not)

power ups in Commando are key! :jango:

there's also all the running around, dodging enemy gunfire and grenades...like some aspects of Turrican

and

Williams' Blaster

Although an unreleased prototype this port is really strong and seems complete to me; it demonstrates what can be done with vector graphics* on A8.

To me this is one of the greatest A8 games ever. The gameplay, graphics and sfx are all top notch...this is a strong port of an arcade game to A8.

I confess I'm mildly addicted to it. :lolblue: So far my high score is 617,500...

If Blaster can be done this well on A8 (and programmed as such BITD), then a better Lunar Lander -- more of a direct port from the arcade than an interpretation -- should be possible (there's also the Asteroids arcade emulation done several years ago now that would seem to support the possibility of Lunar Lander ported from the original arcade).

Thoughts on Lunar Lander, Omega Race or Red Baron?

I am not (completely) obsessed with Lunar Lander; I just enjoyed playing it a lot in the arcade.

For me, the fun in Lunar Lander arcade very much reflects the Nolan Bushnell maxim: "Easy to learn, hard to master."

* regarding the term vector graphics, I once was lectured by a software engineer back in the 90's about how using the term vector graphics when applied to Atari's Tempest was wrong/inaccurate. I do not want to revisit that here; if I'm using the term too loosely, please accept my apology for being imprecise but hopefully you all know what I mean by "vector graphics" or "vector-like graphics" in this context.

edit/addition

corrected misspelled topic starter's screen name

Commando.rom

Blaster.rom

Edited by Fingolfin

Desert Strike

Yeah, we have isometric shooters like Blue Max, Panther, and Zaxxon;

but I think all the helicopter games are either overhead or side view.

Isometric looks quite cool for a helicopter game, especially with the

mobility that the helicopter has in changing directions.

A Final Fantasy...

A nice golf game, e.g. World Class Leader board

I guess those are still two of your projects, eh?

Here is a link to Bubble Blast 2. There is also a Bubble Blast 1, but I could not find a link.

OK, yeah, totally different. I guess there's always an interest to

have new, unique puzzle games of all sorts for the system. It's

definitely one of the genres I'm most interested in.

Edited by MrFish

Williams' Blaster

Although an unreleased prototype this port is really strong and seems complete to me; it demonstrates what can be done with vector graphics* on A8.

To me this is one of the greatest A8 games ever. The gameplay, graphics and sfx are all top notch...this is a strong port of an arcade game to A8.

I confess I'm mildly addicted to it. icon_laughingblue.gif So far my high score is 617,500...

If Blaster can be done this well on A8 (and programmed as such BITD), then a better Lunar Lander -- more of a direct port from the arcade than an interpretation -- should be possible (there's also the Asteroids arcade emulation done several years ago now that would seem to support the possibility of Lunar Lander ported from the original arcade).

Interesting footnote regarding Blaster: it was originally developed for the Atari 8-bit range (and 5200), then subsequently ported to the arcade hardware; more info here and here.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info on Blaster x=usr(1536)! :thumbsup:

Thanks to another AtariAge member, I had seen the atariprotos info before but not the eurogamer link.

I keep forgetting Blaster was made for A8 first! (must be Mandela effect :-o or more likely my poor memory recall since I turned 40 :lol: )

The fact that Blaster was developed on A8/5200 first and then made for arcade (which I'd forgotten) says a lot about the A8 version of Blaster and how/why it is so well done.

It says even more about the programmers, Larry DeMar and Eugene Jarvis. Amazing work on A8! :jango: :jango: :jango:

I never knew Blaster even existed as an A8 version until a couple of months ago, but I really enjoyed it in the arcade BITD.

Though I can't recall ever seeing two Blaster cabinets in one arcade -- like you might sometimes see for popular games like Pac Man, Frogger or Asteroids even -- I don't remember Blaster being rare either. :?

• Like 1

1. Pinball Dreams

I'd like to see some kind of advanced pinball game too.

I don't see any reason why Pinball Dreams couldn't

be done; although I think something in a similar style

that took advantage of the Atari's vertical architecture

strengths would be more impressive and satisfying.

4. Sensible Soccer

Sensible Soccer at a good speed might be tough to

pull off. It'd probably take a good P/M graphics

multiplexer. Might possibly work with something

similar to what Paul Lay used in Atari Blast.

• Like 1

There is something like Pacmania released not so long ago. Just don't remember its name...

Perplexity

Similar in ways, but a big part of that is a thinking/puzzle game.

Cool, though, and another nice conversion production from Fandal & Irgendwer.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I'm a Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer nutcase, I love them and they both get a regular dusting off BUT they work because they look cute and have the samples, animation and lots of colours to make them cartoon like, strip that away and its going to be a lot of the experience gone. Don't get me wrong, if someone could do it I'd love to see it but for me there are some games that just don't suit a lesser port....Saying that, the notion of seeing Space Harrier on my 8 bit was never going to happen in my book but just look at that port, its stunning.

• Like 1

I'm a Cannon Fodder and Sensible Soccer nutcase, I love them and they both get a regular dusting off BUT they work because they look cute and have the samples, animation and lots of colours to make them cartoon like, strip that away and its going to be a lot of the experience gone. Don't get me wrong, if someone could do it I'd love to see it but for me there are some games that just don't suit a lesser port....Saying that, the notion of seeing Space Harrier on my 8 bit was never going to happen in my book but just look at that port, its stunning.

Hard to pull off, but the 8-bit could use a better soccer game than what exists, and I do think Cannon Fodder could be fun too, with less color, as long as it plays the same (with mouse!). For me, the graphics of these games were fun, but the game play hooked me, not the colors.

I don't see samples (although the sounds are so simple I also don't even think they're essential) and animations as a problem. The colors part is why I suggested a multiplexer. The speed looks like one of the most important factors. Other than that, gameplay would include controls and AI. It would most likely be receiving a downgrade in color fidelity. Although, there really aren't all that many basic colors being used. If the color changes in the field are made vertically, as in the Amiga version, the Atari could pull off a lot of green gradient action there. As far as sprites go, I'd say you'd want to shoot for something similar to this Master System Version.

For me, the graphics of these games were fun, but the game play hooked me, not the colors.

Gameplay is always going to trump graphic and sound goodies. They add something, but as long as the downgrade isn't too drastic, matching the gameplay would hold things together.

Hmmmm,

- Prince of Persia

- Bruce Lee 2

- Fort Apocalypse 2

- Turrican

- R-type or similar game

- a game similar to SMB or GGS

- a game similar to Sonic

- a good Pinball game (e.g. similar to Pinball Dreams)

- Pole Position 2 or Checkered Flag

(a racing game for multiple players, with various tracks and tournament mode)

- a good motorbike game (similar to Enduro Racer, Hang on or Super Hang on)

- Summer Games 2

- Winter Games

- World Games

- California Games

- Elite

- The Way of the Exploding Fist

- Impossible Mission

- Revs / Revs Plus

- Nemesis

- Sanxion

- Delta

- 1942 / 1943

- Ikari Warriors

- Worldclass Leaderboard

- The Sentinel

- Defender of the Crown

- X8 (finished!)

- Goldrunner

- Plutos

- Galaga

- and since it is April: 8Bit versions of Blue Lightning, Hoverstrike, Battlemorph, Rayman,

Dino Dudes, AvP, Doom, W3D, Raiden, ... ;-)

And for the multilink/gamelink-2 computer network:

- a racing game for 2-8 players (multiple tracks, tournament mode, realtime)

- a game similar to Battlezone for 2-8 players (vector gfx, realtime)

- a "patched" or modded version of Midi Maze (since Maze of Agdagon is not half as good!)

A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Steve Jobs

So is it any wonder that nearly all games mentioned would be ports?

Why not just playing them on the platform they were designed for?

Does it really make sense to bind capacities "just" for an A8 port, while mentioning a game means the user is already familiar with that title?

• Like 1