Photo

Apple UniDisk upper Read head Problem

5 replies to this topic

#1 DistantStar001 OFFLINE  

DistantStar001

Star Raider

• 67 posts

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2018 11:30 AM

I don't think I need to say much as the pictures speak for themselves.  How do I reattach this, and make it work?

Attached Files

#2 david__schmidt OFFLINE  

david__schmidt

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2018 2:57 PM

No, that drive is done, pure and simple.  You will not reattach that in a way that it will ever read or write again.  Start looking for a replacement.

#3 DistantStar001 OFFLINE  

DistantStar001

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:33 PM

is there anything lost by trying?

#4 david__schmidt OFFLINE  

david__schmidt

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2018 3:54 PM

Just your time and effort.  Have at it!

#5 DistantStar001 OFFLINE  

DistantStar001

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 PM

O.K.  So sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but I have a Major update, and a new question.  I used some super glue to reattach the read head back to the arm, and reinstalled it back into the drive.  To my surprise, it actually reads disks now!  BUT, only double density disks (this was a high density drive).  And that's my new question: why?  What happened?

I did replace the eject motor, but I can't believe that would make much of a difference as it came from another high density drive.  

(also this was an external drive).  I thought maybe that was the problem, since it only started reading disks when I installed it to a double density external board from another drive, but when I installed it into one of my Mac SEs, and still, just double density.  The SE originally had a high density drive.  

So, to sum it up.  I've managed to take a non functional High Density Apple Unidisk drive, and tun it into an internal Double Density Drive in my Mac SE, and I don't know how I did it?  I'm thinking about declaring victory now, but I would still like it to read a high density disks.  

Maybe this should be a new topic now.

Edited by DistantStar001, Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:29 PM.

#6 DistantStar001 OFFLINE  

DistantStar001

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 PM

I forgot to mention that it was the 8-bit guy (from youtube) who gave me the idea to glue it.  It was very nice of him to return my email.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users