Photo

Sears Intellivision-not working!

9 replies to this topic

#1 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• 1,353 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:30 AM

Recently got the Sears version of the Intellivision. 

Always wanted one because I love the look of it!

Anyway, when I power it up, all I get is a black screen, no game video or sound.

Using the rf output channel 3.

Any ideas where to start?

#2 Porte048 OFFLINE  

Porte048

Chopper Commander

• 179 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:44 AM

Did you try channel 4?

Also, clean it up:

Contacts, different games, compressed air,

#3 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,353 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Did all that!

#4 Porte048 OFFLINE  

Porte048

Chopper Commander

• 179 posts

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:49 AM

If youve already tried stuff, tell us! What else have you tried

#5 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,353 posts

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:09 AM

I'm going to pop it open this week-end and check the power supply.

I'm thinking the 5 volt supply is dead. I've seen a schematic awhile ago and do some checking!

Also, I've got 2 standard units to check it against! 

#6 mr_me ONLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,586 posts

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2018 4:47 AM

You can find the service manual and test voltages here.
https://console5.com...i/Intellivision
Also test the ribbon cable for continuity; be carefull with the ribbon cable, it's delicate.

The Sears Intellivision is no different than a model 2609. Remove the rf shield and give it a good visual inspection. Unless your TV gives a black screen with no signal, a black screen from Intellivision usually means the signal/channel is working but no cartridge program is running. So yes the first thing to check is the cartridge and cartridge port.

Edited by mr_me, Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:18 AM.

#7 SoundGammon OFFLINE  

SoundGammon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,353 posts

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2018 10:36 PM

Looking at the schematic, looks like the rf unit gets it power from 12 volts, and I know that is working!

So my bet is the 5 volt supply isn't working. 

#8 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 697 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2018 11:19 PM

Checking the power supply and 5 pin ribbon cable is always a good start. From my experience, the power board itself is usually good (there's just AC to DC bridge rectifier conversion, and 7805/7812 voltage regulators), it's the ribbon cable that disintegrates.

Do you get a flash on the screen when you press reset?

The Intellivision's cartridge connects directly to the main bus, so problems with the cartridge contacts eg dirt can cause black screen. A good clean with Deoxit is always a good idea.

Also check the 2 transistors Q1 and Q2 on the main board, as these drive the clock lines on the CPU.

Lastly, logic issues with the STIC, RA-3-9600 RAM or even the CPU can cause black screen. Carefully cleaning the legs and resocketing might help, otherwise replacement is the only option. At least you have a couple of other units, so you could swap ICs between them to troubleshoot (although this means cracking open the shielding on a working system).

- J

Edited by HunterZero, Sun Apr 8, 2018 11:20 PM.

#9 ArcadeJunkie OFFLINE  

ArcadeJunkie

Moonsweeper

• 317 posts
  • Respect your digital roots....

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:54 PM

Wouldnt hurt to replace the caps while you have it open. I have fixed plenty of 2609s and they required a cap change or replacement transformer more than anything else.

#10 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 697 posts

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:39 PM

Wouldnt hurt to replace the caps while you have it open. I have fixed plenty of 2609s and they required a cap change or replacement transformer more than anything else.

I have found that the SHOEI branded capacitors are actually good parts. That said, they are 35 year old electrolytics, so it is a good idea to replace them as preventative maintenance, and I did do this on my units. However all the old capacitors I pulled off the boards actually tested OK, and quality replacements for the larger power capacitor parts do cost several dollars (A$5.89 for the 2200uF 25V, and A$9.35 for the 10000uF 25V upgraded from 16V Nichicon branded from element14.com).

I did fix one unit that had one of the 0.1uF non-polarised glass caps at C13 blown (it had catastrophically exploded), that was presenting with a black screen.

YMMV...

- James

Edited by HunterZero, Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users