A Newbies Journey with the TIPI

137 replies to this topic

#126 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,523 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 AM

A 30-06 should take care of the issue.  Either that, or some tannerite.

Elmo loves Tannerite.... but I've not gotten to that point yet!  HA HA!

82Wiy-.gif

#127 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,758 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 AM

To the community:

I understand debugging and being crowd-sourced QA is frustrating...  But it is that, or I hold these things back, and never release them trying to determine if they are perfect or not, or keep it for myself simply satisfied that it works for what I need.

Helping the community out with use cases, problem files, and debugging information is an essential contribution

99% of the time I only run what would be less than 1% of the software available. So I'm a horrible test case for what you guys expect out of a storage system.

You absolutely need your help

-M@

#128 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,164 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 AM

Thanks for trying M@, but...

gallery_35324_1027_157242.jpg

Just out of curiosity, did you name the .HFe disk image with the label (volume) "TIPI"?   If so, you might want to change the label so that you know for sure the DSK1 you are accessing is the physical legacy drive versus the TIPI mapped drive.  (My assumption based on the screenshots is that "TIPI" is returned as the volume name for some or all catalog access on the tipi device). 

#129 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,758 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you name the .HFe disk image with the label (volume) "TIPI"?   If so, you might want to change the label so that you know for sure the DSK1 you are accessing is the physical legacy drive versus the TIPI mapped drive.  (My assumption based on the screenshots is that "TIPI" is returned as the volume name for some or all catalog access on the tipi device). 

That is a sharp observation... I'll have to check that code. The expected behavior is that the directory name that is mapped as DSK1 is used as the volume name. Maybe I'm interfering with the Catalog file when a drive is not mapped...  (checked: Devices "TIPI." "DSK0." "DSK4." and "WDS1." return a volume name of "TIPI", mapped DSK1-3 use the last segment of the name as mapped)

In this case, that record looks to me like it is coming from the real floppy, as tipi always returns - used: 0, size: 1440, free: 1438 - always.

I'm mulling around ideas to be appropriately accurate, as appropriate. 

-M@

#130 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,523 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 PM

THANKS!  I have plenty of time to devote to this tomorrow.  I'll check that out, (just in case), do the log and even make a video if necessary.

#131 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Moonsweeper

• 484 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 PM

I've got a few requests after receiving my TIPI-PEB card.

I would ask that there be a reference/card placed in the package indicating where one can go to get the information on setting up and wiring a RPI to the TIPI for future sales.  If I had seen the small print on the card for the cwfk.net website, I would not have known to even go there.  

My package had two sets of 4-wire connectors. It is not obvious to me what gets wired to which posts or connectors on the TIPI-Peb and on the RPI.  I did find one photo that indicated to NOT wire up the wrong end on the RPI, but other than that, I do not know where those wires connect on the RPI to where they connect on the TIPI.  The information at http://ti994a.cwfk.net/TIPI.htmldoes not show any pictures on how things should be cabled.

I thought I read in one of the topics here a mini-SD card would be included all setup.  Was surprised when I did not see  it in the packaging.  I did not see a second purchase option for buying a preconfigured mini-SD card was on ArcadeShopper.  Would suggest adding information to the product description detailing one can either order the card, or they would need to make their own SD card from the provided image.  Just a suggestion.

Beery

#132 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• Topic Starter
  • 12,523 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 PM

I saw photos...

( I ripped off M@'s images and simplified it. )

Attached Files

#133 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,758 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:54 PM

I would ask that there be a reference/card placed in the package indicating where one can go to get the information on setting up and wiring a RPI to the TIPI for future sales.  If I had seen the small print on the card for the cwfk.net website, I would not have known to even go there.  

My package had two sets of 4-wire connectors. It is not obvious to me what gets wired to which posts or connectors on the TIPI-Peb and on the RPI.  I did find one photo that indicated to NOT wire up the wrong end on the RPI, but other than that, I do not know where those wires connect on the RPI to where they connect on the TIPI.  The information at http://ti994a.cwfk.net/TIPI.htmldoes not show any pictures on how things should be cabled.

I thought I read in one of the topics here a mini-SD card would be included all setup.  Was surprised when I did not see  it in the packaging.  I did not see a second purchase option for buying a preconfigured mini-SD card was on ArcadeShopper.  Would suggest adding information to the product description detailing one can either order the card, or they would need to make their own SD card from the provided image.  Just a suggestion.

Beery

Doh, I forgot to update that for the Peb board... it's sooooo the same as the sideport board, that I overlooked it. 

-M@

#134 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,505 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:58 PM

Beery

Thanks Berry it states they are required in the description and they are listed below as related items. I'll be putting up Pi's as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#135 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,758 posts

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 PM

I'll work on revamping the docs...   And getting a more concise description to Greg to put up on the store-front.. 

I want to drive people to github for the reference material. And improve the material there to be a worthy single source...

For instance, this page is accurate, but not user friendly:  https://github.com/j...PI-to-PI-Wiring

-M@

#136 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Moonsweeper

• 484 posts

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 AM

Doh, I forgot to update that for the Peb board... it's sooooo the same as the sideport board, that I overlooked it. 

-M@

Easy enough to overlook.  You have a lot on your plate.  What is obvious to you wasn't immediately obvious to me, and I did not want to wire something up incorrectly.  I knew if I had questions, others could be scratchng their heads as well.

Beery

#137 jonecool OFFLINE  

jonecool

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:39 PM

I forgot to add the video below to this thread, may be helpful to assist new TIPI users or those who haven't seen it yet.  Most of this video should be applicable to the PEB or Sidecar version of the TIPI, however I'm only currently using the sidecar version which is shown primarily at the very beginning.

Edited by jonecool, Yesterday, 2:43 PM.

#138 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Moonsweeper

• 484 posts

Posted Yesterday, 3:14 PM

Well, I am finally online with the TIPI-PEBox card.  I've got a Myarc HFDC with with the Myarc 512K card in the system.  Ended up changing the DSR to >1800 and got things working.

It did take some time to figure out how to run the Telnet client as it was not immediately obvious I needed to go to EA, Option #5, and type in TIPI.NET.TELNET<return>.  

So, all works as far as I know.

Now, need to take some time to read the details on Atariage about the use and make sure I understand it on the TI-99/4A.

Beery

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users