Photo

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

897 replies to this topic

#876 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,581 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:47 AM

Internal politics and licensing and perceived missed opportunities. For those of you who don't know, most corporations behave like a psychotic when confronted with making some profit now, or a tiny little bit more later on. They'll latch on to the here and now and not give a care to the future. Even if it means producing a superior product that would gain a wider audience.

So they produce an inferior product now instead of a superior product a tad bit later. Rush rush rush..

Edited by Keatah, Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:47 AM.

#877 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:06 AM

Electronic Arts (EA) comes to mind!

Yes, supposedly they dissolved their classic game licensing division, so there's no way to gain access to that stuff anymore.

#878 Hwlngmad OFFLINE  

Hwlngmad

Moonsweeper

• 369 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:35 AM

That blows!  Imagine a EA Genesis mini edition.  That would be awesome.  But, good 'ole EA...  What a bunch of wankers!

Yes, supposedly they dissolved their classic game licensing division, so there's no way to gain access to that stuff anymore.

#879 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKING DUCK AWAY FROM ME

• 14,511 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 9:53 AM

That's a drag ... I wonder if that was part of turning off their "On The House" program in Origin? They used to give away old games for free on there, it was a neat way to lure people into using their store. At least most of their PC games are available from GOG if anyone cares. They go on sale a lot. 

They made buttloads of console and Amiga games. There are fewer EA games on 3DO than I expected.

https://en.wikipedia...onic_Arts_games

#880 billford123 OFFLINE  

billford123

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:47 PM

ugh, on walmart my preorder for Atari Flashback Classics on Switch is saying "pick up in store Jan 3 (will ship Dec 31)". Hope that is some sort of error. Gamestop still says Nov 9. I guess I can order from them tomorrow if Walmart keeps pulling these shinanigans. They did that with my Arcade1up cabs, and like a sucker I went back for more punishment.

#881 TrekkiELO OFFLINE  

TrekkiELO

Moonsweeper

• 328 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:26 PM

That blows!  Imagine a EA Genesis mini edition.  That would be awesome.  But, good 'ole EA...  What a bunch of wankers!

Wankers indeed, but an EA C64 mini 1980's edition is actually what I was thinking of!

#882 TrekkiELO OFFLINE  

TrekkiELO

Moonsweeper

• 328 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:29 PM

The Official Game List for the AtGames Atari Flashback 9 Gold (2018):

Hey Bill,

Is there going to be an Atari Flashback 9 Gold Deluxe Edition with Paddle Controllers like in previous years from 2012-2017?!

Edited by TrekkiELO, Thu Nov 8, 2018 11:30 PM.

#883 Sardonyx OFFLINE  

Sardonyx

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:25 AM

ugh, on walmart my preorder for Atari Flashback Classics on Switch is saying "pick up in store Jan 3 (will ship Dec 31)". Hope that is some sort of error. Gamestop still says Nov 9. I guess I can order from them tomorrow if Walmart keeps pulling these shinanigans. They did that with my Arcade1up cabs, and like a sucker I went back for more punishment.

GameStop no longer has a release date. Also I can't find it in the eShop so I'm guessing the release has been pulled or delayed. All Switch games are required to have a digital release along side a physical release, so it looks like it's not happening today.

#884 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

• 14,511 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:41 AM

GameStop no longer has a release date. Also I can't find it in the eShop so I'm guessing the release has been pulled or delayed. All Switch games are required to have a digital release along side a physical release, so it looks like it's not happening today.

I wouldn't say that just yet. Gamestop's preorder page for the game says it ships today. The eShop doesn't update at midnight, it updates at noon Eastern Standard Time. I'll be checking this page later today. https://www.nintendo...ch-new-releases

#885 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:50 AM

Hey Bill,

Is there going to be an Atari Flashback 9 Gold Deluxe Edition with Paddle Controllers like in previous years from 2012-2017?!

I was told no. The only special editions will be with an included 2GB SD card (blank).

#886 JBerel ONLINE  

JBerel

Stargunner

• 1,157 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:48 AM

So if that's the case, am I to understand that the Flashback 9 has no option for compatible paddle controls at all?

#887 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:04 AM

So if that's the case, am I to understand that the Flashback 9 has no option for compatible paddle controls at all?

Not until they're released separately. No ETA on that as of yet.

#888 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

• 14,511 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:11 AM

I wouldn't say that just yet. Gamestop's preorder page for the game says it ships today. The eShop doesn't update at midnight, it updates at noon Eastern Standard Time. I'll be checking this page later today. https://www.nintendo...ch-new-releases

Well, it's not in today's eShop update. Though YouTube is there, as well as the much-hated Urban Champion (arcade version) and Saboteur (grody-looking ZX Spectrum game). 

Now if you add the Atari game to your Gamestop cart, it shows

Atari Flashback Classics Switch - Nintendo Switch

• Pre-order Ships 11/26/2018
  • Not available for in-store pick-up
  • Ship to Address

#889 beetch18 OFFLINE  

beetch18

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:04 PM

Someone on YouTube was commenting on a video of the 2017 genesis flashback. They said theirs was different than the one in the video. Said it has a cosmetic volume slider, has joe and mac on it and the games play really well. It caught my attention because it sounds like the 2018 atgames one that was being produced. They said they live in Australia and got it at EB games. I found the link. https://ebgames.com....me-Console-Loot Is the atgames 2018 version being sold in Australia?

#890 CommanderGrimm ONLINE  

CommanderGrimm

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:52 AM

I've been a bit distant from this thread for a while, but did I read that right? A 2018 Genesis / Mega Drive??? Why isn't it being sold in the States?

#891 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,983 posts
  • Sherlock made it to 15 before he left us.

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:00 PM

How big are the production runs on the Flashback units? Just curious.

#892 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:10 PM

How big are the production runs on the Flashback units? Just curious.

The consoles? Usually each in the hundreds of thousands, but it depends on variation and other factors.

#893 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,983 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:14 PM

The consoles? Usually each in the hundreds of thousands, but it depends on variation and other factors.

Yeah, the consoles. So with this being the 9th run they might be pushing a million total?

#894 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 PM

Yeah, the consoles. So with this being the 9th run they might be pushing a million total?

Lifetime? No, well beyond that.

#895 accousticguitar OFFLINE  

accousticguitar

Quadrunner

• 6,983 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 PM

Lifetime? No, well beyond that.

Nice!

#896 Sardonyx OFFLINE  

Sardonyx

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:50 PM

@Bill - do you have the release date for the Atari Flashback collection for the Switch and Vol. 3 for the PS4/XBox?

#897 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 3,003 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 PM

So, there's just too many Atari FB 9 threads.  So the Gold is no longer being released at Gamestop or wherever on time?  There's no ETA on the paddles, but they will not be packaged in.  Which thread are we discussing the firmware on?

#898 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,079 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 PM

@Bill - do you have the release date for the Atari Flashback collection for the Switch and Vol. 3 for the PS4/XBox?

I don't. Everything is still coming, though, obviously.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users