IGNORED

My TI has a new neighbor

Opry99er

I hope they can get along...

Nice, a classic TRS-80 Model III! See if you can find a copy of Super U for that computer, it'll copy ANY protected TI disk ever made. As a house warming present for your little MOD III, I offer the attachments below. Congrats on the acquisition.

Oh.... be sure to play some...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDQa85brpY&list=PLshIznEcyXK4DfQfZjuTK7GuCm4gZLBzc

TRSDOS 13.pdf

TRS-80 Model 1-3 Video WorkSheet.pdf

• Like 1

I need to find a way to get programs to my new Model III. Currently Im stuck typing in TRS BASIC programs into cassette BASIC and running them. It is fun, and a nice exercise (reminds me of being a teenager and typing in stuff from magazines or the early compuserve server into the TI) but Im ready for more.

I need to crack the case open and assess the task ahead of me. Itll need some caps and some work on the drives, but it is mostly functional.

Yes... and it looks very nice! A bit pricey, but probably well worth it. :)

One thing on those old TRS-80's that is well worth it is a little matching color spray paint on the lower edge of the keyboard. After it dries, apply some rub on clear plastic sheeting, then trim with an X-acto knife along the groove where the two halves meet.

The mock-up below will give you an idea on how different it can look.

post-35324-0-92726700-1523392476.jpg

I need to find a way to get programs to my new Model III. Currently Im stuck typing in TRS BASIC programs into cassette BASIC and running them. It is fun, and a nice exercise (reminds me of being a teenager and typing in stuff from magazines or the early compuserve server into the TI) but Im ready for more.

I need to crack the case open and assess the task ahead of me. Itll need some caps and some work on the drives, but it is mostly functional.

I have been using the Lotharek on mine. It works great and I use it on the TI as well.

post-40595-0-83822200-1479593184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diecrusher
  • Like 1

The HXC was already in the box but I added the lit power-switch and the bezel logo.

post-40595-0-50117000-1479593236_thumb.jpg

I added a couple of switches on the Model IV itself so that I could switch the boot drive to be either the 5.25" or the 3.5" drive or the HXC itself.
It works well. I can't remember exactly how I wired it up but if you're interested I can dig through my notes.
Edited by Diecrusher
  • Like 1

The HXC was already in the box but I added the lit power-switch and the bezel logo.

I added a couple of switches on the Model IV itself so that I could switch the boot drive to be either the 5.25" or the 3.5" drive or the HXC itself.
It works well. I can't remember exactly how I wired it up but if you're interested I can dig through my notes.

Please do. I need to do the same thing to mine..

I initially looked at the FreHD but opted for the M3SE for my model 4 instead. A bit more expensive, but it does a lot more.

In addition to hard drive emulation (2 CF card slots), it has separately addressable VGA out, Ethernet with it's own tcp/ip stack (including telnet and ftp clients and servers, network time, dhcp, the whole works. I have not been disappointed with it.

post-42188-0-48629400-1523487450_thumb.jpg

post-42188-0-36372900-1523487498_thumb.jpg

post-42188-0-59086300-1523487547_thumb.jpg

I bought it directly from Bartlett labs.

M3SE looks so nice... but 3 bones.... Thats a lot of biscuits, my friend.

It is basically a TIPI, a CF7+, and an F18A on one board (for the TRS-80)

For me though, the VGA our would be pointless on this system, as I literally have zero desire to ever use an external screen.

I like the TCP/IP stack... but really, is it anything the Wimodem32 doesnt do? That would be portable between systems.

Im talking myself out of it, but with the ability to transfer between systems and emulation, I dont think Id ever need more than a reliable hard drive and a good serial connection.

It does look super nice though. Im just a cheapskate I guess.

you can also use a gotek and I need to 3dprint the faceplate sometime. i know..

attachicon.gif20170312_195805.jpg

I was going to also 3d print a cover faceplate but just purchased a filler from Amazon since I new that I could never print a matching texture to the other faceplates.

Ended up pulling it out though when I added the other drives. :P

I really like using external or internal items, it keeps the original retro look of the system even though 3.5" drive are exactly period correct. The VGA out of the MISE is really cool as is the virtual hd.

TRS-80 has a special place to me, first system that I programmed on.

The 3.5" drives really made the difference for me initially. I could write floppies on an old laptop that I have that has a 3.5" drive and an early USB for shuttling things into it if I don't feel safe taking Windows 98 online! :-o

Edited by Diecrusher
  • Like 1

I have m3se on my model 4 and a FREHD with the exp ram mod on my Model 1 (as i have no expansion box) and they are great, expensive :) but great

Greg

That m3se is real nice, especially if you want to run a fancy larger flat screen as a monitor, of course you probably already know that.

M3SE looks so nice... but 3 bones.... Thats a lot of biscuits, my friend.

It is basically a TIPI, a CF7+, and an F18A on one board (for the TRS-80)

For me though, the VGA our would be pointless on this system, as I literally have zero desire to ever use an external screen.

I like the TCP/IP stack... but really, is it anything the Wimodem32 doesnt do? That would be portable between systems.

Im talking myself out of it, but with the ability to transfer between systems and emulation, I dont think Id ever need more than a reliable hard drive and a good serial connection.

It does look super nice though. Im just a cheapskate I guess.

The VGA is mostly for people with Model 3s that don't have 80 columns natively. Honestly, it's not much use to me since the internal monitor can already do 80 columns. I typically don't keep it hooked up. It is nice to know that if I ever have a problem with the internal monitor, I can re-route output to an external VGA though with a simple command.

The FTP server is nice, especially since half of my systems are on another floor. It also has Dropbox support via the tcp/ip stack over Ethernet. It has a 9 pin joystick port too, though I haven't used that a whole lot yet.

This model 4 has no floppies or floppy controller, so I kind of had to get an auto boot drive system of some sort to make it usable anyway. Expensive as it is, the M3SE solves a whole bunch of problems for me at once.

• Like 1