Photo

MicroFox VDD

2 replies to this topic

#1 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Chopper Commander

• 150 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 PM

Would like to pick the brains of the gifted members in this board. With the VDD does it care what size image I put in? What if, for instance, I put a 65MB image on the SD card, properly interleaved with a proper directory, would it allow me to access blocks past 160kb if I went directly through EOS and loaded each block since EOS can access up to 65535 blocks? Or does the firmware on the VDD not allow it? I did a test and I can boot a 1.4mb TDOS disk image so maybe the VDD doesn't care.

Milli

#2 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,140 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 PM

The only ways to know is to test it out or to ask Doug Slopsema (MicroFox).

As far as the 1.44mb disk image, this is a size that is supported by the ADAM (Micro Innovations 3 1/2" 1.44mb Disk Drive) as well as the ADAMem emulator. I see no reason that a larger size disk image file wouldn't work unless the firmware of the VDD will not allow it as you mentioned.

#3 adamcon OFFLINE  

adamcon

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 AM

Would like to pick the brains of the gifted members in this board. With the VDD does it care what size image I put in? What if, for instance, I put a 65MB image on the SD card, properly interleaved with a proper directory, would it allow me to access blocks past 160kb if I went directly through EOS and loaded each block since EOS can access up to 65535 blocks? Or does the firmware on the VDD not allow it? I did a test and I can boot a 1.4mb TDOS disk image so maybe the VDD doesn't care.

Milli

The VDD was set up to use all the ADAM disk sizes - which means 160k. 320k, 360K, 1.2mb, and 1.44mb.  The total of 100 disks was arbitrarily set by the "how much is enough or how many is too many" idea.  How many disks do you want to thumb thru to find the disk you want?  These parameters let the user have an awful lot of disk space to fill.  IF you can access more is a trial an error thing that I am sure you can explore

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users