IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

I propose this thread for support and usability questions regarding TIPI for end users.

If it is a 'what if we add x to TIPI' feature kind of thing, go to the Development thread.. https://atariage.com/forums/topic/265136-tipi-ti-994a-to-raspberry-pi-interface-development/

(I no longer own a Geneve, so I cannot provide Geneve specific support. Problems should be reproduced on a TI-99/4A before I will comment or assist. You all, the community, are of course free to support the Geneve with more verve than I)

Here are a couple resources for TIPI users:

* guide for how to get set up the first time.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki#getting-started-start-here

* perpetually in progress documentation.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki

IMG_20200616_131732907.thumb.jpg.e4c65b0a75e634549dfa55a59bdceeb6.jpg

I try to be response on the TI-99/4A discord as well, but I prefer all technical support inquiries land here for recording and sharing

-M@

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 8

I was going to put this video in another thread, but since you started this USAGE and SUPPORT thread, I figured I better post this here.

Two things about this video...

1) Rasmus requested it, so I made it. ;-)

2) The TIPI is so EASY to configure for online use, this whole video is only lasts 1 minute and 42 seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLqiSPHe8c&feature=youtu.be

• Like 4

I was going to put this video in another thread, but since you started this USAGE and SUPPORT thread, I figured I better post this here.

Two things about this video...

1) Rasmus requested it, so I made it. ;-)

2) The TIPI is so EASY to configure for online use, this whole video is only lasts 1 minute and 42 seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLqiSPHe8c&feature=youtu.be

Also if you want to log on to say the Hidden Reef BBS use telnet to log on to thekeep.net port 23 make an account if you don't have one already then once you are at a menu type go dialout and then d1 to dial the hidden reef

Membership on thekeep.net is free if you validate your email address.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’m setting up my TiPi and having a little trouble pulling an IP address. My wireless doesn’t have a password. Should I leave the field blank or put in “” ?

Try just leaving it blank. Then writing the config... wait a bit... and then reload.

I've never tried not having a wifi password... icon_sad.gif We should be able to use the telnet client though, to make some manual changes to the PI. I'll have to experiment to learn the answer.

-M@

• Like 1

Our house is isolated and I finally just decided to skip using a password. I keep an eye out for any outside connections on my router too.

I’ll keep fiddling with it. I’ve tried the password both ways now with no luck. Don’t go to a lot

of trouble working on it. I’ll start from scratch again (reflash the memory card) and go from there tomorrow. Thanks

Try just leaving it blank. Then writing the config... wait a bit... and then reload.

I've never tried not having a wifi password... icon_sad.gif We should be able to use the telnet client though, to make some manual changes to the PI. I'll have to experiment to learn the answer.

-M@

• Like 1

Reflashing won't help... The raspberry PI os, isn't setup to support this... we have to edit the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file, but currently doing what the internet says isn't working.

I'm just testing with my phone as an alternate open hotspot...

I repeat, reflashing won't help. You've done nothing wrong. Open wifi just isn't supported by TIPICFG.

-M@

• Like 2

-M@

I've reproduce the failure icon_smile.gif The /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file on the PI needs to have key_mgnt=NONE.

We can edit that file:

In TI BASIC:

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET")

pick 40 or 80 column mode, then for the host enter:

localhost

for port:

At the login prompt, enter:

tipi

and for the password:

tipi

Now execute the following commands:

bash
Now backspace should work so you can correct typos... if you really don't like a line, just press control-c to cancel not run the command.

here we go:

sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sudo sed -i 's/WPA-PSK/NONE/' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sudo sed -i 's/psk=""//' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
You should now see a line in the config that looks like:

network={
ssid="themattphone"

key_mgmt=NONE
}
Now run:

sudo reboot now
wait a few minutes... and TIPICFG should show an IP address.

This worked for me.

• Like 2

Awesome. I’ll try it tomorrow.

Thanks.

I've reproduce the failure icon_smile.gif The /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file on the PI needs to have key_mgnt=NONE.

We can edit that file:

In TI BASIC:

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET")

pick 40 or 80 column mode, then for the host enter:

localhost

for port:

At the login prompt, enter:

tipi

and for the password:

tipi

Now execute the following commands:

bash
Now backspace should work so you can correct typos... if you really don't like a line, just press control-c to cancel not run the command.
here we go:

sudo sed -i 's/WPA-PSK/NONE/' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
sudo sed -i 's/psk=""//' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
You should now see a line in the config that looks like:
network={
ssid="themattphone"

key_mgmt=NONE
}
Now run:
sudo reboot now
wait a few minutes... and TIPICFG should show an IP address.

This worked for me.

If a program expects to find a specific disk volume name, TIPI will report the directory name of a mapped disk as the volume name through the 1st record of the catalog file.

put the files in a directory named TIMP, and map DSK1_DIR to that directory. If that doesn't work, then it probably won't work on TIPI.

I have not tried multiplan.

-M@

What was the issue? What changed that it now works?

-M@

Power issue. I plugged in the Pi3 with a different cable that was not from my 2.5 amp USB charge/hub. I used a cable from my PC, needless to say as Kirk would say: "Scotty, We need more power!"

• Like 2

Power issue. I plugged in the Pi3 with a different cable that was not from my 2.5 amp USB charge/hub. I used a cable from my PC, needless to say as Kirk would say: "Scotty, We need more power!"

I ended up pulling the power from the 32K and letting it sit for a minute, now all is well... weird.

I've seen the need to power off the TIPI (the board) if I've hotplugged the PI cable. I suppose underpowering the PI with the GPIO directly connected to the CPLD, messes with the CPLD internal state.

It will settle down as you settle down. :)

I am curious, did you hear the tripple tone on the TI title screen?

-M@

-M@