TIPI

313 replies to this topic

#301 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,890 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:45 AM

It only serves files from /home/tipi/tipi_disk which is the folder the TI sees as "TIPI."

DSKx drives can only be mapped to folders within "TIPI." using relative TI directory syntax. These mappings are meant to be changed to support specific legacy programs that insist your files are on "floppies" such as TI Artist, Old Dark Caves, etc... "TIPI." is meant to be treated like your TI hard drive.

This folder is also shared as a Windows file share named "TIPI", making it easy to transfer files as well as the web-ui.

A 4gb microsd is huge in TI speak.

----

All that said, it's all just Linux... You could reconfigure the OS to mount your thumb drive to the tipi_disk folder, or a folder within. You should be sure that the mount options allow the user "tipi" appropriate ownership/permissions.

#302 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:47 AM

Sure just soft link the usb drive into the tipi-disk folder.. Is a simple thing in Linux

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#303 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just make a symlink that aims at s subdir on the usb device, and place that link under the /home/tipi/tipi_disk dir.

Edited by jrhodes, Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:39 AM.

#304 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 854 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:11 PM

TIFILES files - the bane of my life!

So I've now got my TIPI (thanks ArcadeShopper!).

I'm trying to copy over the E/A files from a .tidisk format file. So I'm opening the .tidisk file using the Win994a Disk Manager, selecting each file in turn and selecting "Export to FIAD File". So I now have each of these files on my PC in FIAD format. I've got the TIPI web interface open and I upload the files. Some upload fine, but others have the TI logo and the red question mark on them. For example, the ASSM1 file looks OK but the ASSM2 file has the red question mark. Looking at the files on the PC using a hex editor, they both seem to have the TIFILES header on them. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

#305 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:53 PM

I'm unsure what your doing wrong, but i for one have found that ti99dir is fine for working with .tidisk files.

Simply point it to the dir with your .tidisk files, and open them like you would a .dsk file.

Select your files, copy to the other pane. If needed, ti99dir has a option to convert a pc99 header to tifiles header.

I recently went through all of my extracted fiads i am using in classic99 and made sure they are in tifiles header format using ti99dir.

Prior to now, i just had classic99 set to read both headers, but only write tifiles headers.

As far as i know, i should be able to just copy everything over to my TiPi card and have a go at it.

Edited by jrhodes, Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 PM.

#306 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:52 PM

TIFILES files - the bane of my life!

So I've now got my TIPI (thanks ArcadeShopper!).

I'm trying to copy over the E/A files from a .tidisk format file. So I'm opening the .tidisk file using the Win994a Disk Manager, selecting each file in turn and selecting "Export to FIAD File". So I now have each of these files on my PC in FIAD format. I've got the TIPI web interface open and I upload the files. Some upload fine, but others have the TI logo and the red question mark on them. For example, the ASSM1 file looks OK but the ASSM2 file has the red question mark. Looking at the files on the PC using a hex editor, they both seem to have the TIFILES header on them. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

copy the tidisk file over to the tipi. either with the http:tipi:9900 or the samba share.. it will automatically unpack them into a folder named the same as the disk name.. also works for .dsk files.. 

#307 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 854 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 AM

copy the tidisk file over to the tipi. either with the http:tipi:9900 or the samba share.. it will automatically unpack them into a folder named the same as the disk name.. also works for .dsk files.. 

So it does! That makes things nice and easy! Just a point should anyone else read this later - when you upload the .tidisk file using the TIPI web browser you initially see the .tidisk file listed with the big red question mark. If you then click the refresh button you'll see the files have been unpacked into a new folder with the disk name and the .tidisk file has been deleted.

#308 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,947 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 AM

I do not know whether this would cut down on the number of steps involved, but you can rename a TIDisk image as a DSK image and use it as such.

...lee

#309 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,890 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:16 PM

So, something that is goofy about the implementation of the disk image conversion, is that I use a daemon process that monitors everything in the TIPI share... this daemon detects the disk images and attempts to extract them, it also updates a database index so the server side of the browser doesn't have to open every TIFILE to show the details on the web-ui page.  This was too slow for even medium sized directories without it. 

Anyway, the goofy point, is that the browser interface doesn't actually know anything about DSK images... it just lets you upload a file, and then that daemon wisks it away and swaps in the extracted directory. 

I don't work with DSK images much at all... ( I dislike them with a passion ) so I haven't prioritized getting the web-ui to be more user friendly in that way... I'll try and make it better next time I have a DSK image I want to play with.

-M@ 

#310 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Moonsweeper

• 390 posts

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:57 PM

"( I dislike them with a passion )" I know someone that shares your passion... hint(roar!) ;-)

#311 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,890 posts

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 PM

... I'll try and make it better next time I have a DSK image I want to play with.

Released an update this morning, with a fix to the web-ui to wait for the monitor daemon that converts files to settle down before returning after an upload.
And, includes the fix for when someone creates a directory named "TIPI" - that used to crash the system that looks for TIPI D/V80 files that describe drive mapping on PROGRAM IMAGE load.

As usual, go to BASIC, run CALL TIPI,  TIPICFG will start up, and it should prompt you showing that an Update is ready... press U, wait a while... then enjoy.

-M@

#312 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:59 PM

This is probably slightly off topic but, would i be hurting anything if i installed retropie over the top of the default raspbian lite/tipi-sd-card image installation?

I have decided that in addition to serving the TI files and internet access, i might try out retropie, since i do enjoy a good retro gaming session.

So would it hurt to first install the TiPi sd card image, and then install retropie over it? Or should i just install it on a different card?

#313 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,286 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:27 PM

This is probably slightly off topic but, would i be hurting anything if i installed retropie over the top of the default raspbian lite/tipi-sd-card image installation?

I have decided that in addition to serving the TI files and internet access, i might try out retropie, since i do enjoy a good retro gaming session.

So would it hurt to first install the TiPi sd card image, and then install retropie over it? Or should i just install it on a different card?

I'd say it probably needs a different card.  I woudn't want anything to conflict.. you have no idea what packages and drivers are loaded in retropie and what conflicts might ensue. 

#314 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,890 posts

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 PM

TIPI's image is based on Raspbian Stretch Lite from November 2018. 

TIPI's image moves a number of things to tmpfs (ramdisk) eating at the PI's RAM.  

TIPI's image sets up filesystem monitoring, a web server, and the python services polling the TIPI interface, constantly, eating at the resource performance an emulator would otherwise expect to have to itself.

I expect it would just create a bad experience for both use cases.

-M@

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TIPI

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users