155 replies to this topic

#151 VectorGamer ONLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• Topic Starter
  • 14,364 posts
  • \m/

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Video game champ Billy Mitchell fighting back after being stripped of record scores

http://www.sun-senti...0417-story.html

“They said it was this version or that version [of a software emulator]. When they finally said it’s a specific version, somebody came out and said that version didn’t come out until two years after I played the game,” said Mitchell, in his first interview since losing his records. “I don’t really know — I don’t know anything about this stuff.”

#152 mr_me ONLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:32 PM

The current version of mame at the time of the three scores in question.

1. Before June 2005 - mame 0.96 or older
2. 2007 July 13 - mame 0.117
3. 2010 July 31 - mame 0.139

The versions of mame that reportedly produce the finger girder are 0.116 to 0.121

Edited by mr_me, Yesterday, 1:37 PM.

#153 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,381 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Yesterday, 2:11 PM

Removed dupe.

#154 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 10,381 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Yesterday, 2:16 PM

The current version of mame at the time of the three scores in question.

1. Before June 2005 - mame 0.96 or older
2. 2007 July 13 - mame 0.117
3. 2010 July 31 - mame 0.139

The versions of mame that reportedly produce the finger girder are 0.116 to 0.121

That is not quite true. Several weeks ago it was discovered that the same could be reproduced with older versions of MAME, going back to 2001, by setting the CPU0 rate to 99%. Some versions in between, before 0.116 allowed to set the refresh rate to 60.060Hz, which had the same results. Then, on version 0.116 a change was made to MAME itself to build this into the dkong emulation driver. (It's even mentioned on the 0.116 changelog.)

The earliest version of MAME that can reproduce the "finger girder" in some way or another is -- I believe -- 0.85, released back in 2001.

#155 BiffsGamingVideos OFFLINE  

BiffsGamingVideos

Star Raiders

• 234 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:35 PM

LOL. What's LAUGHABLE is Billy Mitchell claim basically is that if he cheated, then his old scores should be reconized.  Listen, if you cheat, then you are a cheater.  You don't get anything pal.  TG and GBofWR are private businesses.  To be listed with them you have to follow their rules.  It's that simple.  If the rule is total banishment by cheaters, then so be it.  They get to decide not you.  

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos, Yesterday, 2:36 PM.

#156 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 16,571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:40 PM

Point is he cheated once it should have ended there and Walter pushed it in

I think there is a difference between not understanding submissions guidelines and cheating.

Billy submitting a bogus MAME recording = cheating. Steve playing on this specific printed circuit board or that specific joystick because he didn't understand the submission rules (or possibly the rules were not set in place until AFTER Twin Galaxies reviewed the submission and retroactively applied them, which would equate to total douche-baggery on the account of Twin Galaxies if true) might result in a disqualification but an outright ban would be unfair.

You don't ban a sprinter from all future track meet competitions because of a technical disqualification (ie he or she committed a false start which might disqualify them from the current event but not ban them from future events or competitions), however you would certainly ban them from all future events if it was proven the athlete used doping or performance enhancing drugs to "bulk up" or train for the event.

What Steve Weibe did amounts to a "false start" because his submission was invalidated by a technicality.

What Billy Mitchel did would be the equivalent of doping in the athletic world.

Billy used an emulator to submit a score, and without concrete evidence that he was even playing the game live in front of the camera. Then he lied repeatedly about using MAME in interviews.

And furthermore using MAME to "train" at higher levels isn't even considered cheating, so long as the actual record attempt is played on genuine arcade hardware. An arcade player using MAME to help train at high level for a WR attempt would be the equivalent of an athlete training at high altitude to naturally boost their oxygen absorption rates, which is allowed by governing bodies. Giving yourself a transfusion of your own blood before the event in order to artificially boost red cell count, is not allowed and considered a type of doping.

An outright ban would be appropriate in Mitchel's circumstance (deliberate cheating and falsification of submissions), but not Wiebe's (disqualification based upon a technicality). Wiebe did resubmit a legitimate score and beat Mitchel's bogus MAME submission. Kudos to him!

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users