This is a bit of a long shot , but here goes....
When I was a kid in the early 80s we used to play a neighborhood game called "Pickle" , or "Hotbox." Basically was 2 bases with two throwers , and 1 or more runners trying to steal bases. I assumed no one else ever played it , but apparently I was wrong!
Anyway I thought it might make for a simple but possibly fun game ( in the early 2K Atari mold) , although I know Sports -type games are questionable on the 2600. Don't know if there is a game like this exactly anywhere.
Anyway, I thought I would share the Prototype and see if there is any interest at all so I can decide whether or not to pursue it.
One of the things that is difficult is that this is a 2 player only game, so it is difficult for me to test game play . If anyone has someone that they could play with I would appreciate feedback (my wife is not interested !).
Specifically , this is the main challenge:
The speed of the throws and the runner are crucial to get right so that it is neither too hard to steal bases nor too easy . It is impossible to test this by myself.
it is pretty self explanatory except for :
1. The runner must be tagged with the ball while off base. Then the players switch roles AND MUST ALSO SWITCH JOYSTICKS.
2. While throwing, if the joystick is pressed up or down, the top and bottom throwers, respectively , will return to their bases. Otherwise they will stay in place.
3. Throwers cannot cross the midway line.
4. Thrower cannot stall------ must throw every 20 seconds
5. Runner must steal a base every 60 seconds
6. First one to steal 10 bases wins.
7. The throws are directed toward the opposite player but not always accurate and you might need to move slightly to catch them .
A future development could be to add random errant throws .
This is either kinda cool or terrible I can't tell ( but please don't say terrible:) ) . It's cool for me because it reminds me of a childhood game.
Edited by easmith, Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 PM.